No announcement yet.

82 1100G Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sisal wheel with black cutting compound speeds up polishing projects.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      A sisal wheel with black cutting compound speeds up polishing projects.

won't that leave some pretty course scratches on the aluminum?

Comment

Just depends on what final finish you're looking for. If you like a more satin finish then the sisal wheel will work well. If you're going for a bright polished finish I use Aluminum aircraft paint remover to get the OEM finish off. I then use progressively finer sand paper from as course as 400 grit down to as fine as 2500. Just depends on what you have to start with. After that I use a soapy Brillo pad and then some Mothers Aluminum Mag and Wheel polish. I could probably save myself some time and effort by using a buffing wheel, but I kind of like doing it this way.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Invariably when you order new parts, they have some differences as the availability gets slimmer. So they need to be back to black, so with some oxide mix I have I can get the original color...

Comment

Painted!! Yes! Now I can start piecing her back together, and when it's nice and warm outside the motor will be on )

Comment

Looking nice.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Starting to rebuild

And this was a new decal i got for the ignition...came out well!

Comment

Seatpan ready to go

Comment

Things are looking really nice, enjoying this thread.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

So my handy dandy little transport cart thing broke and the bike had to come off it, and the darn frame was too heavy for my puny arms to lift so I had to attach the rear wheel and handlebars to move it around! Darn...but making some progress, it's all loosely put together, then I'll torque all the bolts that I know I'm not gonna remove again for the motor going in...here are some progress shots.

Comment

Oh this is so sweet. I have to get on with my project.

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

wow, that looks amazing. nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            Oh this is so sweet. I have to get on with my project.

Greetings
                            thanks Richard, did you get my message I sent through here?

Comment

It's looking GREAT HB!

Comment

Well, the build is going well...getting most of it together now, although I did buy the wrong rear tire! Doh!! But here's a little before and after sneak peak before I do the same with the rest of the bike

before

after

Comment

Working...
                                X