No announcement yet.

82 1100G Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, what's a good cleaner to flush out my brake lines? Is carb cleaner ok? It was recommended by a friend of mine but I didn't know if it was a good solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Higgibaby View Post
      Also, what's a good cleaner to flush out my brake lines? Is carb cleaner ok? It was recommended by a friend of mine but I didn't know if it was a good solution?

I just use brake fluid until it runs clear.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Are they the original brake lines?

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol, 99%, if you can get it. Then new brake fluid.
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Well, the build is going well...getting most of it together now, although I did buy the wrong rear tire! Doh!! But here's a little before and after sneak peak before I do the same with the rest of the bike

before

after
            Looks really nice. How do you get the all the fasteners to look so good, or are you replacing everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
              Are they the original brake lines?
              Hi Cody, I got your email the other day thanks, like you when I get a mo I will respond fully...lol, yes everything on the bike is original...the lines were in good shape, I just know they were sitting for a while...

Comment

Hi Cody, I got your email the other day thanks, like you when I get a mo I will respond fully...lol, yes everything on the bike is original...the lines were in good shape, I just know they were sitting for a while...
                you may want to consider changing for new brake hoses if they are the original.
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by XR750 View Post
                  Looks really nice. How do you get the all the fasteners to look so good, or are you replacing everything?
                  Thanks, everything is the original, bar a couple of things that were replaced with original parts...but 95% of the bolts and fasteners are original, I just tumbled them and used simichrome on the non black parts to bring them out. Everything pretty much came out like new...The tumbling provided some amazing results, best part is I just left them going overnight with not much effort...def recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                    you may want to consider changing for new brake hoses if they are the original.
                    Ill see how they feel when I clean them, if there bad easy enough to replace like you said...

Comment

The problem with using old brake lines is you wont see the damage internally. They can look perfect on the outside but the inside liner can be seriously compromised. The only time you'll know there's a problem is when they fail.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks, everything is the original, bar a couple of things that were replaced with original parts...but 95% of the bolts and fasteners are original, I just tumbled them and used simichrome on the non black parts to bring them out. Everything pretty much came out like new...The tumbling provided some amazing results, best part is I just left them going overnight with not much effort...def recommend.
                        What tumbler are you using? Do you use some sort of media with it?

Comment

No hurry. Enjoying watching your rebuild. It's giving me the itch to get another bike and tear into it. The reason I asked about the brake lines is because Suzuki recommended replacing the OEM brake lines every 15 months with these bikes. Sounds crazy, but I remember that from my build and went with SS lines. Plus they look really cool. Hope you are having a good day for some wrenching.

Comment

Originally posted by XR750 View Post
                            What tumbler are you using? Do you use some sort of media with it?
                            if you go back on my posts a little you'll see the what I posted with links. It was an Eastwood tumbler with green media, got rid of all the rust and crap very easily without damage.

Comment

Polishing before and after

before

after

Comment

I bought a 130/90/16 H rear tire (if that makes sense to anyone?!) when really it should have been a 130/90/17 H!! So my friendly tire shop gave me a buzz and rubbed it in for me…when reading my shop manual, which just happens to have the L model stats as well, I skipped the G and went straight to the L…a little setback until next Tuesday, when I should be able to get it replaced.

Build is going well though, here’s a little sneak of some assembly I did today, minus rear tire of course!

Comment

Working...
                                X