No announcement yet.

82 1100G Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, I like the steam cleaner and tumbler ideas too. How big is your tumbler and where'd you get it?

Is it really ok to hang the engine by the valve cover like that?
    Attached Files
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
      Looking good, I like the steam cleaner and tumbler ideas too. How big is your tumbler and where'd you get it?

Is it really ok to hang the engine by the valve cover like that?
      Its a 5lb Tumbler from eastwoods, its actually a friend of mine and he let me use during the resto. I bought some green media from harbor freight, and it does the job. Just leave it overningt and its all good. The motor is fine, I don't raise it up too often, its just the easiest anchor point to use...

Comment

Cool thanks for the info on the tumbler. I've got lots of rusty bolts that I currently hand or dremel polish, this is the way to go.

I guess the other advantage to hanging it that high is you don't have to work around straps when cleaning.
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Cool thanks for the info on the tumbler. I've got lots of rusty bolts that I currently hand or dremel polish, this is the way to go.

I guess the other advantage to hanging it that high is you don't have to work around straps when cleaning.
          i definitely recommend the tumbler then if you do it all my hand, I literally just leave them overnight and the parts are like new the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Higgibaby View Post
            Its a 5lb Tumbler from eastwoods, its actually a friend of mine and he let me use during the resto. I bought some green media from harbor freight, and it does the job. Just leave it overningt and its all good. The motor is fine, I don't raise it up too often, its just the easiest anchor point to use...

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-5lb...ith-media.html
            Ingenius. Thanks for sharing.
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Well, progress is slow...as its so cold I'm just working on the small things...like repainting some parts that really needed it.

Befores....

Comment

Nice, what paint did you use on the rubber handlebar cover? I've wondered what would work well for that without cracking.

Comment

Nice, what paint did you use on the rubber handlebar cover? I've wondered what would work well for that without cracking.
                  Thanks, for the handlebar cover I just used a nail brush with soapy hot water, then some mothers vinyl cleaner again with a nail brush rinsed it all off and used the vinyl cleaner again for the finish. I also replaced the emblem in the center...

Comment

Looking real nice!
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Did some more work on the motor today, replacing some of the gaskets and more cleaning. Yuck is all i can say...I made a template of the clutch cover as I'm paranoid about getting the wrong size bolt in the wrong place...Also, scraping the old gaskets off with a blade is work! For the oil pan, would a gasket sealer be safe?

Comment

I needed to feel good about my resto, so i put this image up in my garage of my previous all original restoration...its a good inspiration piece so i can tell myself that it will all come together soon!

Comment

Yeah it can be a mess and a pain to get all the gasket remains off... I carefully use a razor and have even used a soft bristled plastic wire brush in a drill at LOW RPM's. Just go slow and don't gouge or mar the engine side of the mating surface! That would be bad.

That gasket lasted for ~30 years, right? I would not use gasket sealer, I'd use the OEM gasket and nothing else. You don't want to have to pull it again for a long time.

Good call on the cardboard template, I do that for every cover (except perhaps a timing cover) on any bike or car I work on. Even if the bolts are the same length, it's probably not necessary but I do it just in case some of the threads are in better or worse shape than others. Speaking of threads, make sure you clean all inside and outside threads and possibly even chase them with a tap/die while it's all apart. Especially with the mess you'll make scraping the gaskets off, parts may fall into the holes, whereas he only advantage I see to scraping while it's on the bike is that they fall onto the ground.

Comment

At work we use cheap little angle die grinders with the roloc skotch brite pads, all purchased from the local Chinese tool store lol (A decade now with the same tool and no oil leaks or case damage to report yet).

Similar to this. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-ang...der-32046.html

I don't use any pressure and generally don't run the grinder at full speed. We're only servicing powersports items and outboards manufactured in the past 15 years though and the gaskets have always seemed easier to me on this new stuff. Anything that takes too much effort I use a little "case" scraper passed down to me by my friend after he retired, dunno where he got it but razor blades work similarly albeit less stylish. I don't like the gasket remover sprays as they all seem to damage paint (bad news at a business) but in a resto application they may suit you well.

I look forward to seeing this bike progress. Good luck!

Comment

So...with snow here! This is what I've been doing...just polishing all the parts that need it.

Comment

So heres what I have to polish...gonna take few weeks, so I'm hoping to show off my progress sooner rather than later!

Comment

Working...
                                X