Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

650 Katana - from basket case to... time will tell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 Katana - from basket case to... time will tell!

Well, here we go!
    Here's some truly horrible "before" pictures. Wish me luck!
    IMGP8266.jpg

Hmm.. seems I have to add the pictures one by one
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2015, 03:14 AM.

Comment

How are you going to get 4 cylinder heads to run on one engine?
      Ray.

Comment

So that's what the problem has been!
        (Actually there is a mirror at the back so there's only 2).
        I'll settle for one good one of everything.IMGP8271.jpg

Comment

this is annoying doing things one at a time. Am I doing something wrong?
          IMGP8273.jpg

Comment

Posting pictures one at a time I mean
            IMGP8290.jpg

Comment

Nice valves Hey?
              IMGP8345.jpg

Comment

And the speedo...
                IMGP8384.jpg

Comment

And this will do for now.
                  IMGP8292.jpg

Comment

Ian,

Upload your photos to a hosting site like "photobucket". Once the pictures are there, copy the img code(s) from "sharing " links and paste on a post. You post up to 10 pictures on a post. I assume your in NZ or OZ and boy what a challenge you have. I'm sure it will be worth it. Cheers.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

how to upload pictures....

Comment

Whats with the blue shock on the bench and the orange shocks on the bike?? Orange is original. And the blue front fender?? Good looking project

Comment

Originally posted by amcook View Post
                          Whats with the blue shock on the bench and the orange shocks on the bike?? Orange is original. And the blue front fender?? Good looking project
                          Yes, I've got a whole lot of bits and pieces: most original, some not (like the blue shocks), some modified like the blue fender which, if you look closely, is not even a katana fender. Also a mix of 550 and 650 parts, 2 frames, 3 x 650 top ends, 2 x 650 bottom ends and one 550 bottom end and so on. Still at the moment stripping and cleaning and taking a roll call of parts, trying to end up with one good example of everything. As I mentioned in my post on the technical forum, my 2 big problems at the moment are a crankshaft which need repairs to the crank pins and the lack of a 650 signal generator. Still trying to establish if I can use the 550 signal generator plate. As for the crankshaft I have found a place which will weld and grind the bad crank pin, but I'm not sure about the long term reliability.

By the way, Charlie G, I'm in SA not Aus or NZ. And yes, I'm sure it will be worth it. (Wish I could convince my wife though...)

Comment

Right, so after a couple of months of tearing down and cleaning and measuring, I finally get to do something constructive.

Here is what pretty much the whole of the frame looked like:

Got rid of the old paint using paint stripper and a power cleaner. Never heard of this method before but it worked reasonably well and didn't damage the underlying zinc plating at all.

Next a good going over with a wire brush to remove the remnants of the paint, and treatment of the rust with phosphoric acid.

A good coat of self etching primer....

And a few coats of a satin enamel...

And at last I feel that I've actually started!!!

Comment

Hey Ian

Congratulations, you have done a great job on the frame! If you keep to that standard with the rest of the restoration, your bike will look fantastic!
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
                              X