Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel changeout

hi all,

I'm new to the site, hope I've selected the right spot for this post. Anyway, I have an 81 GS650L and I would like to change out the mag wheels for spoke wheels. Does anyone know of another GS model with spoke wheels that would work? For what it's worth, my bike is shaft drive.

thanks,
    Marshall

Welcome to the site, Marshall.
    I would try and contact Bonehead and see how his conversion is going.
    A search turned up this thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...okes+and+shaft
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks a lot. I don't think I understand 100% of what all was said in that thread, but it sounds like Suzuki Intruder wheels may work. I'm only really interested in some type of direct swap solution, no machining of parts. I'll keep studying this. Thanks again.

Comment

If you want a "direct swap", you are going to have to either swap bikes or swap ideas, as there is nothing out there.

Trust me, you are not the first one with the idea. It has been kicked around MANY times, nobody has reported success (yet).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, shoot. Not what I wanted to hear, but it is what I needed to hear I suppose. There isn't a problem with the wheels on the bike, I just don't like the look and much prefer the look of spokes.
          Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Comment

As easy as it may seem to just swap wheels when you are looking at buying a bike, this is one of the few times that a "simple" idea just isn't so.

You are new to the site, but we have no idea how new you are to motorcycling. If this is your first bike, you might not be aware of the advantages of cast wheels over spokes. It's not all about looks, there is a lot to function, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Understood, I think I've given up on that idea. And I get your point regarding looks and function. I know it's not practical, but this is actually a case where I would be willing to give up some functionality for looks, had it been possible. After I created an account I just went straight to posting my inquiry, so I need to go back and fill in my profile.

Thanks,
              Marshall

Comment

well, I saw a pic of this gs650 cafe racer on the web and now I'm abck to having a hard time letting this idea go. Can anyone tell if these look like some stock wheels off another bike that would mount up in place of my stock mag wheels that are on my GS650?
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X