GS550 V4 Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 V4 Engine Swap

So I recently bought myself a 80 GS550 basket case for a project after my last bike got stolen.

Unfortunately, there's no motor with what I bought so I've been looking around for something I could fit.

I have access (cheaply) to a running 85 GV700 motor -- Any chance I'd be able to get it to fit without major frame modifications? If I just have to fab my own mounting brackets that's not a problem.

Nope, not gonna happen.

The GS is chain-driven, the GV is a shaftie.

There are MAJOR frame differences between the two.

And that is before even considering whether there is room for the engine to fit.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah damn, glad I asked before hand. First project and all.

Comment

You should be able to come up with a GS motor from a wrecking yard cheap.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah that has been sort of my back-up plan if I can't find anything reasonable in the meantime. I won't be able to actually *start* on the project until mid-june when I move back to NY -- I'm currently in Texas. I managed to get the basket case on my last visit home and have been figuring I can spend the next couple of months planning things out and ordering any parts I need.

How much do you think I'd end up paying out of a salvage yard? Doesn't necessarily even need to be a currently running engine, as long as it's repairable -- I've done repair work on smaller engines before so I should be able to work through anything that's not completely destroyed.

Comment

Depends on the breaker. You can find motors for a couple hundred bucks if you look hard.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Oh wow, thats significantly less than expected. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Depends on the breaker. You can find motors for a couple hundred bucks if you look hard.
                  Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Ya, but the shipping can be a deal killer if you don't buy local. I got lucky and purchased a good GS1100G motor for $100 (Make Offer) but the shipping was $200. Still a good deal but not easy to find one like that.

I'd probably part out what you have and move onto something a little more complete. I'd love to find a 1000G or 1100G in my area with a titled frame and no engine for cheap. I have a couple engines just laying around looking for a good home.
                  Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Good advice from a wise man.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I bought a few complete 550s with useable engines for $100 or so.. Sold off the wheels and such so the engines were free. Two of the engines were very very good.
                      Craigslist is your friend, and patience is required.
                      If you need a few 550 parts like cylinders and such I have them, but the best setup is a 650 top end on the 550 engine.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Craigslist is your best option. You never know... You may find your next great bike deal just a few blocks away. Every bike I currently own came off of CL.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Craigslist is your best option. You never know... You may find your next great bike deal just a few blocks away. Every bike I currently own came off of CL.
                          Ditto. Aside from buying one new bike in 2002 (the FZ1), EVERY bike I've bought in recent times came from CL.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I actually just managed to get that GV for $100 (complete running bike, damaged handlebars and forks), so now I have two projects.

Comment

Working...
                            X