Gs 400 Monoshock and gsxxr front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 400 Monoshock and gsxxr front end

Project i am working on- 77 gs 400, big bore cylinders, mikuni vm 32 carbs, electronic ignition. GSXR 600 front end, gs 500 swingarm and rear wheel, katana 750 rear shockWP_20150306_003.jpg

I have most of the swingarm conversion documented with pictures if anyone is interesed, pretty straight forward

gt 550 tank

WP_20150306_007.jpg

Mock up with gt 550 tank

Comment

How difficult was it to get that fork assembly on there? Did it bolt right up or did you have to modify the frame?

Comment

It pretty much bolts right in, got the bearing set from all balls, steering stem is about the correct length, way easy conversion.

Comment

Looks sweet! Needs more front brakes.
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Subscribed....
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I have a 1979 GS425 and was considering a similar swap. I would like to see the detailed swingarm swap if possible. Thanks.

Comment

Cool. Please post years of the parts so other people have any easier time identifying exactly what you used.

Dennis

Comment

I will get some details up tonight on the swingarm. Does anyone know the best way to get nice big pictures posted?? do i need to go through photobucket or something?

Comment

Yes, you need to host the picture and then insert the link in the picture tool. Go to "From URL" tab. Uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locallys" and insert the URL into the text box. You can post up to 10 images.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The whole rear end is off an early 90's gs 500 ,ecxept for the shock is a katana 750 with remote resivor. The swingarm neeeds to be shaved a little to fit in frame, the needle bearings will just press in farther but you will need to shorten the bolt bushing the goes in the middle of swingarm Make sure when buying a swingarm make sure you get the bushings that go on the swingarm pivot bolt and shock linkages.
                      The frame is asymetrical so the crossbar for the top shock mount looks a little funny and you will have to make one side of the mount a little longer. I basically mounted the shock to the swingarm, got the swingarm to about 12 degrees and made the mounts on the frame. I might have to mess around with the final positions once i get it on the road and see how it performs, it feels pretty good sitting on it[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

mock up

[IMG][/IMG[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Very cool! Nice fab work, quite the shop you've got there.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------
                          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Hey man, I've got a similar build under way and would love to see some updates on this!

Comment

Working...
                            X