No announcement yet.

pjKUN's 1983 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are you hoping the valves are adjusted?At a guess you think that 1100 has shim adjust,it does not.Read this http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...adjustment.pdf on how to adjust a 16 valve .

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      Why are you hoping the valves are adjusted?At a guess you think that 1100 has shim adjust,it does not.Read this http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...adjustment.pdf on how to adjust a 16 valve .
      I'm hoping they are in within spec so I don't need to adjust them lol. Also, thanks for the pdf, I printed it out and put it in my binder for reference.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Rear wheel is typically a 90/130. You can lower the profile to 80/130 perhaps.

The other option is to get a 1150 rear wheel; they come in 3.0 and 3.5" and would bolt right on with either 140 of 150 I suspect. The are in high demand because of the simplicity but not impossible to find.

On the carbs, if they are off you just need to pull off one of the boles and look at the mains to see what is there. If they are Dynojet 132/138 then you know you have a kit and maybe PO was not a complete dork.
      Well, I guess the time to source a 1150 3.5" wheel begins! I'll document my progress on the carbs, going to start work on those this Saturday.

Comment

Nice garage. Just got one myself but will have to wait for a gig state side before I get to use it.

Will be fun to see what you come up with to mitigate what the PO did to the bike.

Welcome

Comment

recent 4.5" wheel install

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Nice, thanks!

I test fit my seat today. I like the look of it. I've figured out how to fit some plastic to cover and streamline that awkward space between the tank and seat. Also, I'm still figuring out how I'm going to mount my new electronics tray under the seat. Once that's solved and all electrical is hooked up, I'll start on the carbs and valve adjustment (inspection). Then off it goes for welding and new tires. It's coming along... slowly.

Comment

So far, so good. Very nice.

Any thoughts about fitting stock side covers?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                So far, so good. Very nice.

Any thoughts about fitting stock side covers?
                Hi Rob, the previous owner gave me the oem covers, but all the tabs are broken off. Also on the frame, he cut most of the tabs so i can't properly mount them. If I can't find a solution to mount the electronics tray up higher under the seat, I may have to find a way to mount the covers to hide the electronics.

Comment

Double sided tape, or rare earth magnets bonded to the side covers works quite well.

make sure if you use the 1150 rear wheel the tire you put on it is a radial to be compatible with the front tire. I am amazed what radial tires handle like compared to the bias tire I am use to int the past.
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

So I tore into the main wiring harness and I found the previous owner made some serious hack job work. First, the splices weren't heat wrapped, but taped over... WITH PAINTERS TAPE. Second, I tried tracing the wires and mapping them based on the diagram from the service manual and even with my extensive training, I couldn't figure out why/what this guy was thinking. I'm honestly ready to cut my losses and trying to find an unmolested harness. Do you guys know where I could find one? Are there any harnesses from other models that cross reference with the '83 1100es that I have? I'll post pics later..

Comment

If it were and ed then the EZ harness is almost identical. The ESD is similar but quite a bit different.
                      ez=1982
                      ed=1983

Comment

Been really busy with work lately, but in my free time I try to work on the bike. These past weeks I've started to grind down the frame (PO had half cut tabs and sharp stuff all over).

I've also been studying the wiring harness. It's crazy to see how much the PO did with this harness - I've already repaired a bunch of wires.

partially done wiring harness. Still got a ways to go, but I'm in no real big rush. I want to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                        X