First rebuild. My garage project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rebuild. My garage project

No photos, except in my introduction elsewhere, yet.

Just got the bike home.

Filthy with lots of stuck on dirt, grease and grime.

Someone has started pulling out the wiring and its all over the place.

Seat is had it but all there.

Overall I am not disappointed.

Found the frame number. GS550E-711587

No kick start so electric, contact points. Frame seems straight and so do the forks. Rear suspension all there but bushings look perished, very dirty and springs have rust spots all over. Tank fine.
    Apart from side panels everything seems to be there. Including indicators and instruments.

Choke goes thru the steering head.
    Mikuni carbs.

Looks like the exhaust original was a 4-2 setup ad the rear of the frame on both sides has exhaust hangers. Took me a min to realise this. looked quite strange to start with the left hand side seeming to bend down to the ground. Somewhere along the line it has been changed to an awful looking 4-1 piece.

Yokohama tyres on both wheels. Both blown up and looking almost new, still have mould flashings on them. Chain was well greased but spins well.

Not sure how well it runs. Compression test shows 2 and 3 are about 10% down while 1 and 4 are ok.

Just sitting looking today. Cleaning some of the crud off it, (previous owner kept it outside for 2 years under tarp.)

Trying to decide where to start. I think the electrics will come off first. They are already a mess.

My step son informed me he will be working at a powder coating company for a few weeks and may be able to get frame and swinging arm done for
    " 5/8ths of f@## all" his words.

Anyway just wanted to start this thread. Pics to follow.

Chris

Here are some pictures I have taken as a start to the records for the build. Needless to say there are going to be many in my folder on the laptop. Also as much data I can gather from other sources.

Please excuse the quality and alignment. Just starting.
    Attached Files

Comment

Getting the hang of this. 1 pic at a time
      Attached Files

Comment

Left side again
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

hey bud if you open a free photobucket account you can upload your pictures there and link them to your posts. that way you can have more than one picture and they can be full size

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X