X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 Cafe Racer project

G'day All,

New to site, new to this kind of thing.

Anyway, the long story short is that I bought an '82 GS850 with the intention of doing a café racer mod. The bike itself looked neat enough, but I haven't had it running at all. The guy I bought it from said that it did run when he purchased it but who really knows.

This is how it looked to start with.

The plan was to get it running, and then get into the changes to the frame etc. However, I think I (stupidly, naively) got off this path. In trying go through the checklist of essential items to get right through BikeCliff's website I first took the airbox off. Then I too the carbs off and had them ultrasonically cleaned. Liking the look of no airbox, and not having read how much of a pain the a#@ running pods is I changed the jets and got some non-K&N pods. Yep....I know....I will rectify this at a later stage. Then in trying to remove the carb boots, I was unable to remove one of the bolts, and so changed the plan to make frame and other changes first and then tackle the engine. Yep....again, not the best decision, but there it is.

Anyway, so I stripped everything off the bike that was rubbish and binned it. This included the quite ratty harness.

The plan from here is to get the frame modified for the new café style seat, have the tank cleaned up, fix the front end, get some gauges and lights, and then get a new harness sorted. At that stage I'll look to get the engine running again - probably by going back to the airbox first and then changing to K&N pods with the stage 3 dynojet kit.

So, how far wrong did I go. Advice preferred over plain criticism

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM.

This is where is it currently

Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Well, I've had the bike down at the local custom shop and they have made the changes to the frame to accommodate the seat. Unfortunately the seat I purchased was for an SR400 and does not really come close to doing the job on this bike. However, I plan to now edit the existing seat pan to make it more appropriate for this bike and specifically the way it fits up against the tank, and then some new foam and have it re-upholstered. After that, I'll get the tank cleaned up (inside).

Comment

You don't have to get K&N pods.

APE pods are similar quality at about 1/3 the price.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmm, you guys get a cycles with E type tails, but shaft drive...which should make her a G.
          I like the seat, were you going to move it alittle more forward or just have it redone with alittle more foam up front?

Comment

The intention is to get it redone with more foam in that front section. Not sure if it will require an amendment to the seat pan as well......

Comment

Yeah, that seat is very pretty, butt it don't fit. I'm 6'4" and have drag bars on my 1100G so I'm sitting way up front, all in front of the shock mount. These are very long bikes.
              Another thing I'd suggest, if you've done any track riding you know you need some knee indents on the side of the tank.
              New shocks for sure.
              Some bike I saw, the owner retro fitted Busa setbacks, nice looking.
              You can get some Hong Kong clip ons too, if they make a size that fits.

PS: No I would not mod down my 1100G into a cafe bike, it just can't ever be made into a sport bike.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
              X