I want to get rid of my tachometer completely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to get rid of my tachometer completely

Hey guys. I am doing a brat build on my GS750 (1978). While removing the engine from the frame I accidentally broke the tachometer drive cable off in the engine block. I am not too concerned about getting it out...I am not thrilled about the pain it is going to be . My question is...how can I eliminate it all together and what can i use to plug that hole for I no longer want a tach at all when i rebuild. do i just get a screw to fit in there or what? thanks guys

If you take the valve cover off and push the worm gear and it's housing out. There is a small bolt holding a small lock down plate on the outside that has to be removed first. Remove the worm gear and fill the housing with epoxy and reinstall housing into cylinder head.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I figured thats what I would end up doing anyways. JB weld FTW. I just don't like using it and was wondering if anyone else had a better solution lol. thanks man.

Comment

Just my personal opinion but you'll find you'll want that tach when you are doing any carb synching or troubleshooting such as plug chops.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Just my personal opinion but you'll find you'll want that tach when you are doing any carb synching or troubleshooting such as plug chops.
          And heaven forbid he needs to do a Quick test.

I usually check my tach using an inductive timing light; it reads out RPM more accurately than my tach.

It was only $64.04 in 2008 when I purchased it.
          Last edited by posplayr; 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Tachs and speedos are for pansies. Put a bolt in the hole and be done with it.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I filled the sleeve on my 750 with JB Weld when I switched to an electronic tach and it held just fine.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i mean im pretty good at doing it by feel/ear ...did my 1982 magna carbs with no tach but i do appreciate the input

Comment

Working...
                X