Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650G revamp project

Hey guys,

Earlier this year I acquired a 1981 Suxuki GS650G, I've been riding for a good 3 months now, and slowly but surely I'd like to improve it so what better place could I do it than here!
    I plan on revamping this bike to more of a glory day.

It's my first official street bike so no wonder I chose an older model to mess around!

Basically up front I wanted to change the air filters, update the turn and brake signals and along the way fix my RPM meter because well it did not work!

Let me post the thread so that I can post a few pictures of Suki to give you gys a feel for it...

Left side view
    Attached Files

Comment

Right side view
      IMG_20150509_144918_724.jpg

Comment

Rear view
        IMG_20150509_144909_914.jpg

Comment

Front view
          IMG_20150509_144934_453.jpg

Comment

Air filter close up
            IMG_20150509_145010_661.jpg

Comment

So! along the way I did change:
              Turn and brake signals from incandescant light bulb to L.E.D. which gave me quite the headache since I did not know I had to change the turn signal relay switch....

Here is the rear look now with those changed out
              IMG_20150704_170601_413.jpg

Then I upgraded the air filters to less deteriorated socks... I know, it's not the best of the best but hey it works!
              Then I noticed the Oil overflow fumes tubing was going in a Wierdly DIY fashioned tubing entering the air pods.. which I yanked and got a tube lowering it to the bottom of the bike until I get a catchcan or breather...

The bike runs much more smoothely than before now that I did all of this, until I noticed the engine was getting excited for no reasons after longer rides... air was getting in between the Carbs and head intake... after a good amount of black high temperature gasket scealent it runs like new again!

Installed a new RPM cable to replace the worn out one too so hooray I have rpm now and that made it possible to tune the iddle better

After I did all this I could truly enjoy riding my beautifull Suki but somethings are bothering me:

- I'm probably 100% sure I need to rebuild the engine cylinders with new chambers and piston rings since it clanks quite a bit with cold weather and on the iddle when warm even though I get enough rideability.
              - As for the transmission, the second gear jumps out and back to neutral on acceleration... I'm trying to figure out if instead of fixing/changing it I could upgrade it to a 6 speed transmission. Any thoughts on that?
              - The speed sensor gets off by 20Km/h so for example when I go 20 the meter shows 40 and so on so when I go 100Km/h it shows 120 and oscilate between 110 and 130?? The cable is fine though..
              - Exhaust makes a hell of a noise, I feel like I'm riding a busted up Harley with no piping! Even though I kind of enjoy the sound I might change it too.

All those above are my main concerns.

Like every woman we love, they always question their weight so what could I do to make her more confortable when I ride her (;P no pun intended haha)
              - lighter suspensions?
              - lighter wheel rims?
              - go for a single exhaust pipe upgrade? possibly quieter?

It's a long post I know but this is my plan for suki! any ideas what so ever would be much appreciated!

P.S. I don't plan on making her a cafe racer more than she currently looks like!
              Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM. Reason: adding material

Comment

So with that air filter setup, it runs ok? Have you been inside carbs to make sure the main jets were changed to accomodate that filter setup? Otherwise it will run too lean - bad news!

forget the 6-speed transmission idea- the 650 shafty trans is real unique.

As to clanking stuff, what kind/weight of oil are you using- this model has plain main bearings fed by high oil pressure?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom203,

Yes it runs good enough with the socks, no idea if the jets were changed, the 2nd previous owner did the change from the air box to individual filters so I would'nt know unless I ask my garage :s
                  in any case it runs good for now, she might need a tune-up though.. winter is coming so it'll be for next summer.

Damnit for the transmission, I thought I saw a thread on the forum saying there would be a guy doing a 550 conversion kit for the 650 but I can't find the thread anymore...

Castrol 4 stroke SAE 10W-40... did the change not too long ago.

As for the oil pressure, I do have a red light on my cluster that lits up when on the iddle and turns off when I ride, the owner before me told me it's the oil circulation light? meaning that when it's off the oil circulates through the engine?
                  unless it means something else and would be the reason for the engine to be piping hot :s

Comment

Beau, the 6 speed 650 you're thinking of was a 650e. The e's were the only chain driven 650s built by suzuki. The e's are also very close to the 550s in design that parts cross and interchange, but the 650 shafts are a whole different animal unto themselves

Comment

Damn..

Oh well, I guess I'll just live with it

Comment

The oil pressure light should go out in milliseconds when the motor starts up
                        The transmission jumping out of gear means a transmission rebuild of some sort, probably a bent shift fork

These 2 symptoms point at a bike that's been abused. I'd be searching for another motor.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                        X