81 1100E Morph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 1100E Morph

In April of 2014 I traded an old Jeep I didn't need for a barely running 81 gs1100e. It was only running on 2 cylinders and was obviously neglected for some time. I managed to ride it home keeping the choke on most of the way. I've been working on it a little here and a little there and even though it's not finished at least it's getting closer. I thought after all of the great info I've sourced from this site I should go ahead and put up a build thread. Thank you for any help you may have provided me on this!

This is how it looked when I went to get it.... I almost didn't take it.
    Attached Files

Dig the kerker pipe. And looks like a non original tank from a 78 1000. Actually highly sought after.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

That's a 78' 1000 tank, not the right one for you frame. Hard to find tank, you'd be better off to sell that to a member and get the right one you need.....please tell me you haven't cut the tank already.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

yes, sell that tank for $$$ and fund the resto.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          yes, sell that tank for $$$ and fund the resto.
          Absolutely sell the tank. You could buy an 1100 tank and have significant funds left.

Comment

I wish someone would have told me the tank was worth so much....it's long gone, i traded it for some misc parts I needed.
            After some cleaning.jpg After some cleaning. Still running like crap. I decided to dive in deep....

Comment

tearing it down.jpg Tearing it down

Comment

tank inside.jpgThe tank was pretty rusty, I found a nearly mint 1100e tank on ebay and pulled the trigger.

Comment

Carbs and Tank installed.jpgAlso purchased a set of Slingshot Carbs from fleabay. This is a shot of the bike after the new tank and carbs were installed. This was around March of this year. The bike was running decent at this point so I decided to dive into some more cosmetic stuff.

Comment

Before Seat and Frame hack.jpgThis is a shot of the bike for referance pre-frame and tail hack. I really hated the seat and tail section. Too long and it didn't flow with the tank. In this picture you can also see that I've changed the bars for clip-ons and the Kerker exhaust is at a buddies house being welded on.

Comment

Frame Hack.jpgNot a great picture but you can see where I hacked the rear frame section that holds the tail cowl on.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Stripes.jpgSome stripes...

Comment

Tail Stripes.jpgTail Section repainted and Striped to match the tank

Comment

Tail Shortened and working on seat pan.jpgThe Support bracket for the tail cowl was welded back on and the tail section was reinstalled. In this picture I'm also mocking up a seat pan with foam board. I'm loving the way the tail and tank flow together now!

Comment

Liscense plate.jpgLicense plate mounted

Comment

Working...
                              X