1977 gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 gs550

I have been part of this forum for many years but have not participated, just used the information.

I picked up a 1977 GS550 about 6 years ago very cheap, and there it sat until about 2 months ago, it had the pipes cut off, rusted sissy bar, mild ape hangers, it was a real mutt!!

I found a Vance and Hines full exhaust, followed all the recommendations of the wise elders on the boards, and have pieced it back together, first attempt strayed up and idled. No desire for PODS, replaced all the dried out old rubber parts, cleaned and set carbs as recommended. The latest thing I did this past weekend was cut all the spade connectors off and soldiered all the connections. Before do this I would get 12.1 to 12.3V @ 2500 RPM's, after 13.3-13.6V @ 2500 RPM's.

My point to this is I have read many posts of my bike wont run with pods, or my air box was modified, or I didn't replace this, and it isn't working.

Use the information on here and your almost 40 year old bike will run pretty good.

Thanks for the great write up and all the good info. I'll post some pics when I get new petcock and finish up a few items.
Working...
X