My cheap 83 750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Still in the disassembling part of the project?
    Mostly keeping warm in the house these days. Received my wintergreen oil from a vet supply back east and a new lense for the master cylinder from New River cycle. The lense is slightly to big. Need to sand the edges so it can fit. I think I'll try bringing the M/C in the house to see if the metal will expand a couple of thousands. Received my $38.39 paddock stand and it works nicely. Thank you! I have new o-rings from cycleorings waiting for me to strip and clean the carbs. New battery on the trickle charger. Sent my old carb boots off to "Wolfie guy" in NY for nothing.....He said he wanted them? I'm sure he'll slap a little RTV in the o-ring groove and it will be fine.....

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, aluminum does expand when heated. The example I read was how to drive in valve sleeves after heating the cylinder head up in the oven.
      It would be easy to heat up the master cylinder to like 150º, just disassemble and clean it first before you put it the oven.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

[/URL]

I removed the old cracked lense in the Master cylinder a ways back and started cleaning up to opening.

[/URL]

This in what New River sends you as a repair kit: Instructions, a lense to your specifications and two new stainless steel screws. I guess for $15.00 delivered it's worth it. I've decided I need to strip off the old paint and repaint in before I put in the new lense. I asked for a 17mm lense and the new one is 4 thousandths larger than the opening. That is a really small difference. I've got the M/C in the house and am experimenting with heat to see if I can get the new lense in without grinding.

[/URL]

My new paddock stand. $38.39, new, and delivered off E-Bay. That is half the price of the same stand I saw listed in an on line add. Don't mind my floor being really out of level. Need to get some stripper, paint, intake boots, soak the old air box boots in "Wintergreen oil" and carbs rebuilt. I sourced the Wintergreen oil at Big Dee's Tack and Vet supply ( bigdweb.com) I believe it was $16.50, delivered off amazon for 16 ounces. Probably won't be doing much till after the first of the year, so Merry Xmas and Happy New year!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Probably won't be doing much till after the first of the year, so Merry Xmas and Happy New year!

cg[/QUOTE]
          And to you! Enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Starting to get this project going again. I broke the sight glass trying to force it in. I may have bought one which was too large. I decided at this point to slap one of the extra master cylinders I have lying around the shop for now, as it will make moving the bike on and off the lift easier.

I have new new boots and the last of the carbs are in the dip. I need to adjust valves. Need new valve cover for that. All so need a new petcock and to flush out the tank. Maybe a start up next month is in the works.

I was given a parts washer but the pump is shot. Anyone know a source for a cheap replacement?
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. I recently picked one up too that I'll be starting on soon.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Cool,
                cant wait to see the progress. I just ordered a Vesrah valve cover gasket ($15) and OEM cam chain tensioner gasket ($2) from Z1 Enterprises. They are awesome, and quick.

I don't recall if you already replaced your cam chain tensioner gasket but for $2 while you've got the carbs off it's 2) 10 mm bolts....but be sure to read the procedure on how to clean, re-tension and reinstalled it as it's a very critical part that could damage your engine if installed incorrectly
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. I recently picked one up too that I'll be starting on soon.
                  I don't think I'll get to fancy to begin with, just a good runner if the engine is worth it. Thanks for following along. I remember when you got your bike. A good find!
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                    Cool,
                    cant wait to see the progress. I just ordered a Vesrah valve cover gasket ($15) and OEM cam chain tensioner gasket ($2) from Z1 Enterprises. They are awesome, and quick.

I don't recall if you already replaced your cam chain tensioner gasket but for $2 while you've got the carbs off it's 2) 10 mm bolts....but be sure to read the procedure on how to clean, re-tension and reinstalled it as it's a very critical part that could damage your engine if installed incorrectly
                    Thanks for the reminder, I think I just rebuild the tensioner now while it's apart. I've already done my other two. Almost forgot.......
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Glad to see you moving on it again Charlie, be good to see her up and running!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have the carbs finished but now I have to wait for parts for the chain tensioner and valve cover gasket. Boy something has been spraying oil below the carbs and I'm hoping it's the tensioner.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Probably was. I put a new gasket under it last summer-GS1100G.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                          X