2 skunk projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 skunk projects

Continued from "cheap skunk" in classified section. Also uploaded pics of my other skunk project into the photo link to my fb account. I will fill in the details of the projects later, for now just wanted to show the new bike picked up this past thursday and the one I've been working on the past 3 months.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM.

What the heck have you been working on with your other skunk?? from the pics it looks turn key. The other bike though.....it's hard to believe someone would ride a bike with a seat like that.....I can't imagine it's comfortable at all, but they did sell a lot of them.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Skunk #1progress:

1.Removed full fairing and replaced with proper headlight, ears, signals and lower clamp trim piece.
      2.new Avons and tubes
      3. Replaced Joe alphabet slip ones and rusty stock headpiped with vance and Hines 4-1.
      3. New airfilter, lid delete, 117.5 mains in carbs
      4. Complete carb strip/soak polished upper caps and bowls and clearcoated
      5. New intake o rings
      6. Lubed all cables
      7. Repacked head bearings and swing arm bearings
      8. New big brake conversion with vtr1000 disks, zx10 calipers, ebc hh pads and salty monk brackets
      9. Resurfaced rear disk, new piston seals and pads in caliper
      10. New plugs. Oil. Oil filer gasket
      11. Tons of stainless and new OEM bolts/hardware
      12.rebuilt fork with new seals dust covers, sonic springs and racetech gold valve cartridge emulators
      14. Superbike bars and short stalk GS mirrors installed
      15. Stock brake masters refinished and new rebuild kits, new res cups ordered
      16. New tach cable rebuild speedo drive.
      17. Tap dents out of front fender
      18. Repair and paint side covers.
      19. New warning labels
      20. Led Zeppelin key fob and nos dealer sticker
      21. Tons and tons of cleaning and polishing.
      22. And still haven't fired it up or riden it yet!... Ape cam chain tensioner and gasket, tach drive gasket, and brake lines need to be put on, vaccum sync, electrical test, valve check to come

Skunk #2

1. Remove full fairing, rack and case guards.
      2. This one will need less mechanical work as it was maintained nice and ridden, not forgotten in the back of a garage like #1, but more cosmetic attention.

Comment

Oh and I know how much some of the members here like penny pinching...not that theres anything wrong with that. But both skunks are $1000 local craigslist finds.

Comment

all that work to skunk #1 and you haven't started her up yet??? and I guess the led zeppelin key fob is a personal thing
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Maybe #2 will have a "rush" key fob.

Comment

Cleaned up #2 a little. Looks like the clearcoating on the engine covers and fork legs is too far gone to save. Is there a quick way to remove the clear to expose and rub some polish on? Last stuff I did I went through all the sand paper grits and buffing but not looking to invest that much time on this one.

Comment

New pipes on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkspeed View Post
                  Awesome score!!! NICE!!!!!!
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Darkspeed View Post
                    Cleaned up #2 a little. Looks like the clearcoating on the engine covers and fork legs is too far gone to save. Is there a quick way to remove the clear to expose and rub some polish on? Last stuff I did I went through all the sand paper grits and buffing but not looking to invest that much time on this one.
                    Aircraft stripper will take it right off and leave something you can polish. Available at NAPA and many other stores
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well done on the Alphabet system.
                      They have a nice upswept muffler.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the aircraft stripper tip. Will try and post back when I get the forks and covers off.

I'm exited about that exhaust. It looks as if it has an "x" design to the headers pairing 1-4 and 2-3 cyl. To separate mufflers. Did a little research and they were called spaghetti pipes and were popular in the late '70s. Jardine also made a set that is like gold to xs11 owners.

Comment

I have an old Alphabet exhaust system for my CBX and "spaghetti" pipes is a good description.
                          The 6 headers snake all over the place.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Can the rear cowl chrome strip around the tail light be removed for reclearing the cowl? Mine is in mint condition and I would hate to damage it but don't think there is enough clear to work out the surface imperfections and scratches like I did on the tank.

Comment

I wouldn't attempt to remove it.
                              If you damage it they are very difficult to find and VERY pricey if you do find one. Even the retaining clips are valuable.
                              Years ago when i removed one i used heat from a hair dryer to soften the glue/sealant? and pried from the underside with an assortment of paint scrapers and small flat screwdrivers. It came off but not without a bit of damage.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X