No announcement yet.

Weasel's 1978 GS750 cafe racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got 6 of the 8 valve shims sorted today. The last two are still tight with the 2.55 shim, the smallest I have here. Mailing 4 shims to Ghostgs1 to swap in the GS Shim Club. I'll try the next four sizes smaller and go from there. That should complete a nice set of test shims to keep on hand.

Comment

Stopped by the chrome shop today so they could look at the forks. Told me what I was expecting but not what I wanted to hear. Forks are too pitted to save at a reasonable cost. He said I'd be way ahead with a new set at $350 US. Oh well. Got a few leads on some used sets in good shape so we'll see.

Comment

On a more positive note, the lowers are back from powder coating.

Comment

From everything I've read, the stock fork tubes from the factory were 35mm OD, 26mm ID and 23" long. These are clearly closer to 24". Guess it's possible a PO put a 1" over set on at some point. Or maybe one of you can point out something I'm missing.

Comment

I'm trying to go for a racer look and make some upgrades for performance but I'm trying to avoid chopping the bike at all if I can. It's a little rough but it would be nice to retain all the factory specs in case I ever decide to turn it back to stock. Without any frame modifications, beyond removing the stock rear fender/cowl, the total length from the tank to the end of the frame is approx. 29".

After a lot of searching, I found this seat pan that is 30" in length. It should get me the look without having to chop the frame. I like the idea of the separate cushion/pad base that will allow me to customize the upholstery & padding. As I said, I'm after the racer look but I also want to be able to ride this thing semi-comfortably. I'll keep the stock pegs and try the drag bars and see how the comfort, functionality and looks go together.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              I'm trying to go for a racer look and make some upgrades for performance but I'm trying to avoid chopping the bike at all...
              ...I found this seat pan that is 30" in length. It should get me the look without having to chop the frame. As I said, I'm after the racer look but I also want to be able to ride this thing semi-comfortably. I'll keep the stock pegs and try the drag bars and see how the comfort, functionality and looks go together.

I really like where you're going with this!

you definitely should do the popular twin pot brake mod using Dan aka salty monk's two adapters to bolt on ninja calipers and CBR Etc rotors. Ninja/Concours Tokico 2 piston caliper & 98-99 CBR900RR single front 310mm rotor (just a simple adapter plate that could be home fabbed or cheaply purchased from salty) if you're running the single disc GS750C forks. MASSIVE increase in braking performance, very healthy reduction in unsprung weight as well, bonus.

did you pick tires out yet? Avon AM26 for good grip and long wear life, Pirelli sports demons or Bridgestone bt45 battlax for awesome grip but a few thousand miles less. Rear shocks? Make sure to get rear shocks 1" longer than stock to quicken the steering by reducing the rake and trail closer to modern standards, $200 min, $300+ if you can at all budget it as the last mod, wait for a few more paychecks if that's what it takes to be able to purchase a really high quality set of shocks!
              Chopped fork springs while they are apart, or just get some proper sonic springs from Rich Desmond here on the forum.
              Sorry this is probably mostly rehash on my part.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chuck, I love your enthusiasm about these bikes! The more I get into her, the more I understand your passion. I'm still working on the upgrades you outlined on page 1 LOL. Keep it coming though, I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on my 24" fork tubes? Are you going to the IMS motorcycle expo in Cleveland this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                  did you pick tires out yet?
                  Not yet but I need to start looking. I'll be getting the wheels taken apart for powder coat over the next week.

Comment

Chuck I found a brand new set of fork tubes for $182 US. I believe they will fit my GS.

K and G Cycles is your one-stop motorcycle parts, accessories, and apparel superstore. Great prices, great selection, and great people. Visit us today to find motorcycle parts and accessories for Harley-Davidson and every metric motorcycle made. The widest selection from every top name brand in the industry!

Comment

Going to release a new workout/comedy video. I call it "Watch this idiot try to remove old tires in his garage with zero tire removing tools."

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                        Chuck I found a brand new set of fork tubes for $182 US. I believe they will fit my GS.

http://www.kandgcycles.com/hard-chro...e-24-0015.html
                        I would be skeptical of wether ir not those would fit.... they need to have the lower bushing in the same exact same place, & the i.d. needs to be identical so that the damper rod teflon/nylon piston ring can seal and dampen properly. Even if you upgrade to MikesXS cartridge emulator valves, the damper rod still needs to fit properly in there.

Not going to Cleveland for the bike expo, wore out from hiking 8 hrs into the backwoods of Hocking Hills State Forest (best hiking & 1 of best riding regions in Appalachian SE Ohio)and climbing cliffs, icy waterfalls, & steep gorges all day, sore, hard to get motivated to get out of bed and go to the basement and work, let alone leave the house!
                        Wife went to a Hand Built Motorcycles Expo in St Louis yesterday though.
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I would be skeptical of wether ir not those would fit.... they need to have the lower bushing in the same exact same place, & the i.d. needs to be identical so that the damper rod teflon/nylon piston ring can seal and dampen properly. Even if you upgrade to MikesXS cartridge emulator valves, the damper rod still needs to fit properly in there.
                          Somehow I knew it wouldn't be that simple or cheap. Oh well.

International Motorcycle Show in Cleveland was a fun afternoon. Lots of cool stuff. The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club had some great bikes...but no GSs'!!! I had this same exact color CB years ago but in the 550 model.

I did spy this GS750 in a vendor's booth however!

Comment

Make sure to get rear shocks 1" longer than stock
                            Are the stock 13.5"? So I want 14.5"?

Comment

320mm stock I believe. So 340mm-345mm. with shorter GS 650 forks on mine, I think I'm running the equivalent of 20 mm longer rear shocks, 340 mm. The Fox shocks I have are at 330 mm. if you have shorter legs than a 32" inseam, I would drop the front 10mm and go with 330mm shocks.
                              if you are taller, I would do it all with the rear shocks so you don't hurt any cornering clearance up front, if you ever see yourself getting to knee dragging level, this will definitely be a bonus. Not to mention hitting speed bumps or steep driveway approaches may scrape your exhaust if you drop the front too much. Aftermarket springs will help prevent that though. The factory springs are way too soft. You can get them close to a proper sporty rate by chopping them down a bunch or removing the short springs, and adding a little extra pre-load.
                              Last edited by Chuck78; 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM.
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Ok, I'm ordering these custom rear shocks and I need to know exactly what size to tell him to build.

The new CL MotoTech Fully Built Shock Package is a highly customizable and completely affordable new dual shock package for vintage and dual shock bikes.

I am 6'1" and around 200 pounds. (33" inseam) Guessing the bike will be in the 480-490 lb. range when I'm done. I am sticking with the stock front suspension with the upgraded inserts from Mike's that you recommended.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X