Weasel's 1978 GS750 cafe racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Missing motor mount bolts should have made for an "interesting" ride.
    The original Flexi-Flyer.
    Ha ha! No question!

I got the helmet lock & seat hinge tabs cut off, ground down and filed clean last night before bed. I also cut the ends of the frame that would stick out beyond my seat pan. I took the frame outside and hit it with some degreaser and left it overnight. Looks like I still need a quick power wash to get the stubborn grease and road grime off the bottom of the frame before heading to the powder coaters.

Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

What a turnaround & what a difference! Time to start reassembly. Should all start to come together now for anyone out there still following along. Some parts are beyond service or repair so I need to start shopping & getting parts flowing in again.

Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Looking great! Did you just go with a full gloss black on the frame? I had my swingarm done in 60% gloss, so I plan on doing that with the frame as well. I kind of wish I went full gloss though, it looks nice.
        1983 GS650G
        Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Thanks. Yes, regular gloss black on the frame, swingarm & stands. Engine covers & a few other parts got matte/flat.

Comment

Looking good!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Been awhile man... What's the latest?

Comment

Well hopefully he's been busy riding it!

I have been wondering the same thing myself lately, figured as always happens to me, life got busy and everything else got in the way. This is going to be a great-looking bike though.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Sorry guys, this is a winter project and it went on the back burner to the farm and house chores in the spring and summer. Should be resuming work after the Christmas season. Got tons of stuff powder coated and stock piled some new parts. Lots of assembly ahead.

Comment

Santa brought some much needed bits. Got a fork damper valve set to upgrade the suspension. Waiting on a few o-rings & oil seal stoppers then I can get the forks reassembled. I'll be putting new bearings in the front wheel and getting that completely reassembled and ready today. Not happy about winter being here but it's nice to have time to get back to my winter project LOL.

Comment

Got the new front wheel bearings in and the rest of the bits on to complete the front wheel. Going cross eyed polishing all these bolts. Looking forward to getting the front end all together once I get the rest of the fork o-rings & tires.

Comment

Chuck I ended up going with the Progressive 412 shocks. Got a heck of a deal, couldn't pass them up for $184.99 & free shipping. Hoping to get my tires next week. Should have a rolling chassis soon.

Comment

Still following! Lookin' great!

Comment

Thanks Zagg. I'm not crazy about winter but it does give me a few months of free time on the schedule. No reason I shouldn't have her ready for spring this year.

Comment

Had to send the Progressive shocks back. They sent me the wrong ones. The dealer I dealt with was unable to figure out which ones to exchange so I just got my money back. I've been in touch with Hagon and they have a set for me for $219.00.

Comment

I got the forks sorted, rebuilt and put back on the bike. I added the damper valve set and replaced the top springs. Looking forward to seeing how they handle.

Comment

Working...
                                X