1983 GS1100GL Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100GL Revival

Hello again all. I'd like to go into a little more detail on my brand spanking new, rusty, 32 year old bike. My plans, my current situation with it, my dreams, etc. I will happily take any advice or ideas with absolutely all consideration and appreciation. I apologize in advance for the long winded post but I both know there's a wealth of info here and I'm super excited with no work I can currently do on it.

It's an 83 GS1100GL with 54k miles on it. It has not run in approximately 10 years. It was owned by the sadly deceased husband of the woman I got it from. She knew less about it then I just shared with you all. However, her only concern was getting it off her property. She also has a GV1400 Cavalcade she wants gone if anyone is interested, I can certainly get you in touch with her. I know that bike is also a non runner and the odometer reads 104k.

Anyway, the GS is much more my style and looked much easier and cheaper to work on so it's now mine. I have already removed a hideous fairing/windshield that will probably be tossed unless anyone wants. I also pulled off the seat rest as it was so cracked and moldy, it was garbage.

My next issue was the fact the keys have been lost and I can't get under the seat. However, I got the key code off the ignition switch and Kiwi Canuck here gave me a nice deal on a couple keys. I should have those in about a week.

My goals... This bike will be a daily driver. I aim to take it everywhere as long as it's not too cold or icy. I'm not looking to do any crazy modifications nor care about keeping everything stock. So comfort/reliability is my main focus on changing anything. Style and performance are secondary.

My background is that my wife and I from the Chicago area and only moved to WA in June. I was a paramedic for 15 years, but along with the move, I decided to start a new career and am now installing cable for one of the big cable companies.

So my life recently has been all about making changes and challenging myself with new things. How about one more? I have never even worked on a motorcycle before, much less restored one. My former bike was a 99 Suzuki Intruder which I paid to have maintained every time. It's been about 10 years since I sold that and my itch to get back on 2 wheels was severely hampered by my lack of funds. So here I am, about to take on a new challenge. I have worked on all my cars so my mechanical aptitude is limited but not nonexistent.

Once I have my keys, I'll be replacing/cleaning/repairing the battery, plugs, wires, all fluids and filters, carbs and giving her as thorough an inspection as I can. After all this, turn the key and hope she purrs. If not, diagnose the problem and get her running.

Once this is accomplished, I'll be replacing the brake lines with braided steel lines, cleaning or replacing anything dirty and/or rusty, and repainting the tank. I plan on looking closely at aftermarket alternatives to anything I have to replace. I will also be putting a small windshield and saddle bags on at some point soon after she's in working condition. Once I've put some miles on, I'll have a better idea as to what I'd like to improve or change but not really thinking about all that yet.

So this post is to let you all know me and my plans a little better, start the written story of the rebirth of this bike, and open up the door to any advice or suggestions. The biggest thing which will slow this all down is money of course, but that's most all of us to some degree. I'm extremely excited to do this and know it will be a rewarding experience. I've barely turned a wrench on her yet and have already learned a lot. Any time I get anything notable done, I'll update this thread with my progress. I'll aim to put most of my sure to be incoming questions in an appropriate thread. And thanks already for the warm welcome I've received.

So work has been moving along at a snail's pace due to financial issues but the project is still continuing. I do have a couple issues I'd love a little advice on.

Issue 1. The fuel cap is stuck. I have read a little about this and it sounds pretty typical of a bike that's been left outside without cover. Anyone recommend a good penetrating lubricant for this? From what I've read WD40 isn't the best here... I've removed the tank and drained about 90% of the fuel through the petcock. However, what is left sounds like there's a lot of particles, like it's got sand in it. Without the cap off, I can't see in well enough to see the interior but I am certainly concerned by that. If I can't get it open with lube, I figure I'll end up taking the tank to a locksmith.

Issue 2. Anyone know the size of the plug for the oil pan? None of my sockets are big enough and will have to purchase one soon. Just figured I'd ask as someone here is bound to know.

I think that's it for the moment. I have inspected the battery and see no signs of damage or issue. It's at 5.5 volts so I'm hoping a good charge will bring it back to life. Otherwise, next steps are to clean the carbs, drain the tranny, and inspect the drivetrain components. I am concerned by a heavy rolling resistance. I figure my first likely culprits are either stuck brakes or driveshaft issue. However, if there's other, more likely causes, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks as always all and have a great day!

Comment

Try 3/1 oil through the key slot on the gas cap. Large spark plug socket should fit the oil plug. You probably have "rust" int the tank, that's really fun to get rid of and those tanks are hard to find. Feel free to give me a call on the questions that you have. The wheel drag is probably the breaks, not that hard to work on.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment