GS850G and GS850L difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G and GS850L difference?

I just bought an 80 GS850L and an 81 GS850G and frankly other than the seat and fuel tank shape can anyone tell me the difference? which model is the most desirable and why?

You will get a LOT of answers from some L haters saying that the G is much better, but functionally, they are pretty close to the same.

Yes, the seat and tank are different, but so are the forks, the triple trees, headlight, gauges, handlebars, frame, fenders and exhaust system. About the only part that is the same is the drivetrain.

I have ridden/owned both, the G fits me better, the L fits my wife better. Which one fits you better will be determined by your physical size, as well as the way you intend to ride the bike. If you are interested in all-day rides with minimal stops for fuel and stretching out your body, the G will be the way to go. If you are planning on more of an urban experience where the limited range of the L tank is not a problem, then the lack of comfort of the higher handlebars and the somewhat cramped seating position won't be much of a problem, either.

You do need to be aware that the '80 850L was a bit of a one-year-wonder, though. The body panels were different than the '81-'83 Ls, and I think the tank was smaller, too. It was also the only L with a 17" rear wheel.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

I'm pretty sure back in the disco age they sold way more of the GL models than the G, but you'll find more people nowadays are G fans.

With decent handlebars, the GL handles just as well as the G, and if the lower, more fixed seating position agrees with your personal geometry, great. Taller folks get along better with a little more room to stretch and move around on the G.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you guys. Very good explanations. The G tail end looks more sporty like the CB750K or 900F coupled with the flat seat. As for handle bars, less than $50 and I can get any bar I want.

Comment

I have a 1980 GS850GL with non-ridiculous handlebars and it's a great ride. A bit heavy at low speeds but the lower center of gravity makes up for it. From your stable it looks like you're not new to riding so one thing to keep in mind is that the middle to upper end of the tach is where these 850s like to spend their time.

You will want a shorter clutch cable when you swap out the handlebars. If you go with the G-style handlebars, get a clutch cable for an GS850G. If you go with something even shorter, get one for a GS1000S. Don't throw out the old cable, keep it tucked away on the bike in case the new one breaks while you're away from home.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Great tip on keeping the old cable and replacement to look for. I'm thinking something a lot less ridiculous. I have a collection of those bars and keep saying to my self "I'm going to try to cut one down and weld it to a pleasing shape". Just never got around to it. I rarely throw anything away that still works. Clutch and throttle cables seem in good shape and move freely.

And you are correct. I am not new to riding. Got my first bike in 1965 but quit to raise children in the 80's and 90's. Started riding again when I bought a GS650 in about 2005 then got serious about riding in 2008 when I bought a GL1800 and started touring. As for handling a heavy bike, try throwing that Ultra Classic LTD (950+ lbs) around in a parking lot or a gravel road. I just love these old bikes and can't stay away from them.

Comment

Working...
            X