82 GS1100EZ engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100EZ engine rebuild

I'm currently looking into having the motor on my gs1100ez rebuilt, I bought the bike back in August of this year, however the problems won't stop, every time I get something fixed, about a week later some new problem comes up. Being a 33 year old bike, I feel that it's time for a rebuild. Does anyone know of an engine builder that gets the job done right? I plan on having this bike for a very long time, and have done some restoration work over the past few months. I want this bike to be pulling stronger than ever come summer of 2016, it's a classic, and deserves to tear up the street just like any modern bike. Thanks for any info!

The only recommendation I can make is on New York's Long Island -

Powerhouse Motorcycles is a full service high performance tuning center located in West Babylon, New York. With the latest Dynojet 250 air/fuel load control dynamometer equipment, Powerhouse is the place to get your bike tuned to perfection.

He's (Frank Davis) the only shop I let touch my 11EZ. BTW, his one employee has owned a couple of '83 11e's.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Visit Rick Stetson in person at Harry's Machine Parts in Northboro, MA. It's about 1/4 mile west of Walmart on Rt. 9 just before the Sunoco station and out in the white one story back building. He has the dyno now as well. You'll waste your time calling.

He built the engine on the land speed record machine and does hundreds of engines/components a year. He supports most of the east coast drag racers. Now is the time, seriously. If you wait till spring you won't see it till the fall. Do a google search for him / Harry's

He's technically excellent, his customer service in terms of meeting schedules has to be dealt with. Again don't delay no matter who your dealing with.

He'll remove the engine and store it in his container if you need but it ain't free but that sounds like what your looking for. I've seen him use Drag Racers as the mechanics that pull/install the engines as a barter for work they are having done.

I'm not in the business and no expert but I have been in your shoes. Hope you're prepared for about a $3K to $4K bill if your going to do it all. You can buy a lot of semi-modern used bikes now days for a lot less and they will out perform and out handle. Just a dose of reality for you.

Ironically your bike was probably sold originally from the building in front which use to be Suzuki of Northboro before he moved to Auburn and became Motosports Int.

There are a handful of others that are more well known but you'll deal with shipping and the pulling and re-installing.
      Last edited by isleoman; 12-22-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

One last suggestions. No sense building an 82 with out welding the crank

Comment

Originally posted by kstra17 View Post
          Ithe problems won't stop, every time I get something fixed, about a week later some new problem comes up.
          Im glad I left mine box stock. As long as its got gas and a battery it just goes and goes and........goes......
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            ...As long as its got gas and a battery it just goes and goes and........goes......
            Mine too: goes and goes and drips and goes and seeps and goes...
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Let me start by saying I grew up with and will always love and probably own GS1100s.

I think 33 years on they are great for people that can do most of the wrenching themselves. They are easier to wrench on than most new school bikes and there is unlimited support on this site.

Now the but........ If you don't wrench (getting into the engine internals) and you're not well heeled, with mucho disposable income, then get a Bandit 1250 or a Gen 1 Fz1 or a Zrex for less than $4K if you actually want to put on enjoyable and safe miles. You will be thousands ahead and you'll have a better bike, and you can keep the GS for the occasional ride. You won't believe what a difference modern radials make.

You will recoup less than $0.10 on the dollar for your engine investments, if that.

So your thinking I want to keep for long term, then you'll pay someone what it would cost for one of the bikes mentioned above, and you'll still have all the niggling stator/RR/Bias Ply Tires/Mediocre brakes and suspension to live with. Want to fix all those issues as well, then you'll be into used 2010+ Busa / ZX14 / Concourse price territory.

My personal opinion is if you want to have only one bike, and you want it to be a GS1100, then sell or part your 82 and buy a $3800 pristine, low mile, 1983, museum quality bike, it's a better use of your money. A good running, demonstrably non-leaking, no issues bike is a much better bet than sending off your engine for the full monty or the half monty.

If you do talk to Rick Stetson and believe me he's good at what he does, pm me and let me know if I was far off on my estimate.

I'm thinking $500 to pull and re-install the engine and store the bike.

Once the engine is out I'm thinking $1000 to take it apart and re-assemble down and back up from the crank level.

So $1500 in, you can then have the head re-worked for $250-$1200 depending on how far you go.

Then you'll have the block to re-hone, the crank to weld, the clutch to replace and beef up, and the transmission to inspect. Thinking of 1166 kit then add another $750 with mark up, and now you'll want RS flat slides $750. How bout new cams and rockers $500-$750. Then you'll want the dyno tune to get it running perfectly for another $250. Heck even the OEM gasket set is $150.

Then heaven forbid something happens, it leaks oil, you crash it, it tips over, or you just loose interest and all that money and time will be lost.

Hate to be Debbie Downer but I wish someone would have had this talk with me when I was older. I still would have gone through with my stupid decisions, but in my defense I do have stupid levels of disposable income, and I do have two FZ1s.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                ...You will recoup less than $0.10 on the dollar for your engine investments, if that...
                So few people, even on this site, can accept that. Makes me glad my engine and carbs just plain work perfectly. Of course, with tires, chain, sprockets, etc., I've already put twice what I paid for it in. Accident damage makes it three times.

Comment

In regard to isleoman's post below (#7), I couldn't have said it better myself. Very nice summation indeed.
                  '80 GS1000ST
                  '92 ZX-11
                  Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                    In regard to isleoman's post below (#7), I couldn't have said it better myself. Very nice summation indeed.
                    I agree with Frank...and Isleoman.

One of my long held beliefs is that only people that like to wrench and/or rich people should own 35+ year old motorcycles. I'm not a boater but an analogy that sticks with me is compares old bikes to wooden boats: there is always something that needs doing. Just keeping up with routine maintenance will put you in the poor house if you don't wrench for yourself.

The good news is that a GS is fairly easy to work on, bad news is you will be wrenching regularly.

A man's gotta know his limitations...
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As a real example to back up some of the above comments:

The bike below is a very original 17k mile bike that is very tight, runs awesome and most of the maintenance is up to date.

It is located in the same state as you and could most likely be in your garage for less than the cost of your engine rebuild.

If your bike is a "special" to you bike, then I get it and spend away!!

Comment

My dad owns the same bike as I do, bone stock, 100% original. He's the only owner of the bike, it's never been dumped, and has never had a problem. That's the bike I'll one day own and have as the center piece in my garage. I love my 1100, it's fast as hell, comfortable as well. I'd hate to part it, and watch what was once complete diminish into pieces scattered across the states. My bike however has been through hell, I'm the fifth owner, and it's been dumped twice. The guy who had it before me used it as a wheelie machine, taking out the anti-dives and putting a fork brace on it. As much as I'd like it to be a complete running bike, the cost right now is too steep. I'm thinking that I'll have to keep the bike, and slowly save up to bring it to it's former glory. It may take years, who knows? But once I have the money, it's something I'd love to own. As for a next bike, I don't know what I'd want, I wouldn't want another 1100e, I've already got two in my garage. For the money, I guess it's a safer option to get something newer/more reliable such as a gsxr1000. It's difficult finding a bike that I fit well on as I'm 6'5, and there's no way in hell I'll buy a harley. Thanks for the eye opening words everyone, at this time, it doesn't make the most sense. One day it'll rip up the streets again, as for now, she rests.

Comment

Glad you gave it some consideration.

Lots of tall folks rave about the FZ09 and the DL1000s. If your comfortable on the 1100e then a Gen 1 FZ1 is pretty close ergonomically as well.

The new stuff like the GSXR1100F and 1100S do have ABS which I have my heart on some day.

I was just down near Douglas State Park on the FZ1 this afternoon (55F on 12/23). Was taking it very easy with the moist roads and cold tires (ABS would have been nice). Tested my rear brake on a couple of surfaces and just slid. Dry line wasn't bad. Might get to 70 tomorrow.

Comment

I've got another thread started about what the current situation is with my 1100, and why I was at the breaking point of having the motor overhauled. This doesn't sound like a cheap fix, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a rebuild. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be, let me know. Any help is much appreciated, and I also thank all of you for enlightening me on this catastrophe and how to approach it.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=1#post2253699 (This is the other thread with a video)

Comment

Working...
                            X