Finally a Cooley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a Cooley

After years of hunting it fell in my lap, I would say its a 7 out of 10. This one is way to nice to mod so an off the boat restoration might be in the near future. Yes those are NOS new in the box mirrors.

Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to this Joe, should be nice. Congats on now owning an 'S'
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Came with an extra set of stock pipes, they are pretty near flawless.

Comment

ho-lee cow those mirrors tho....
          nice score!
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Two sets of original mirrors, pipes, the dash is unbroken, and overall completely unmolested..I'd say that's a good starting point.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              Two sets of original mirrors, pipes, the dash is unbroken, and overall completely unmolested..I'd say that's a good starting point.
              Just needs a painter...

Comment

Ya, I guess, if you like that kind of thing..........................

Congratulations, it looks awesome!!!

Comment

What's the story? Was this a GSR member bike and how many miles?

Looks like there may be a crack in the glass above the clock knob, can't really tell. If there is, I have an NOS piece of glass. I also have an NOS ignition cap. May have a few other bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                    Ya, I guess, if you like that kind of thing..........................

Congratulations, it looks awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                      What's the story? Was this a GSR member bike and how many miles?

Looks like there may be a crack in the glass above the clock knob, can't really tell. If there is, I have an NOS piece of glass. I also have an NOS ignition cap. May have a few other bits.
                      Non GSR member bought the bike about a year ago but not sure from there. The glass is cracked I would definitely be interested in some of the bits you might have.

Thanks Rich

Comment

I will be following this one, I love the look of the SN with the flat seat.

Good score and nice to see you have the elusive clock knob, be careful when removing the knob, there is a very fine screw holding the knob on from the top.

One of my bikes has a broken piece of glass but I can't get the knob off, I've tried but it feels like it may have been glued on and I'm going to break something if I force it too much.

If you need anything related to the Cooley just ask, there are a few of us on here that have restored them before and should be able to help with almost anything. (except OEM mirrors ) ha ha

Cheers,

David
                        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Sorry to thread jack, oh before I, do nice score Joe. Mine is a molested basket case, that will need a lot of work. Which means I'm not going stock resto, so my thread jack question is, are there any good alternative mirrors to use?
                          :cool:GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                            Sorry to thread jack, oh before I, do nice score Joe. Mine is a molested basket case, that will need a lot of work. Which means I'm not going stock resto, so my thread jack question is, are there any good alternative mirrors to use?
                            Last year I found some knock off RG500 mirrors on ebay UK, they had the correct spacing 50mm IIRC, and didn't look too bad, I'll see if I can find the link.

Maybe this one.

Also found these knockoffs for the TL1000, possibly gives a little better view as the mounts are a little longer but may look funny on the Cooley and you would need to check the bolt spacing.

P.S. if anyone uses these aftermarket mirrors on a Cooley take note, the OEM ones screw in from the outside, whereas all after market ones are attached from the inside so you will need to drill out the threads on the top bracket to fasten the non OEM units.

David
                            Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 03-29-2016, 10:44 AM. Reason: added info
                            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hijack.......what is the Cooley fairing made of? FG or plastic?

Thanks
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                              X