'85 GS550 Bobber Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550 Bobber Rescue

To start off, I have a couple confessions.

First, this isn't a restoration, or even anything close. I haven't the time, money or skill to hack the frame back to anything resembling stock or replace everything that has been stripped off. I am just trying to get this cycle back on the road and maybe give it a little performance boost along the way.

Second, this is the first Suzuki I've owned, and after this project is wrapped, I may not be as active. However, the GS Resources site, and this forum in particular, have been immeasurably helpful so far and I hope that I might be able to give back a little of what you have given me even this early in the project.

So now on to the project itself!

So I picked this poor thing up from Craigslist for $300. Here's a video of it, several PO's ago. It's running, and while not pretty by motorcycle standards, is at least well taken care of by the guy filming. This link was included with the Craigslist post.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's a photo from the Craigslist post.

And these last two are from when my roommate got it home.

Just the change from the video to current should tell you how little the most recent PO knew about bikes and how ready he was to put that knowledge to use.

Changes I've noticed include, but are not limited to:
    Different air box. The one on the trailer doesn't quite fit and is tagged as being off a GS550E.
    Tank, fuel cap, headlight shroud, pipe tips and various other bits spray painted black... poorly.
    Rear brake pedal is missing.
    Brake light is missing.
    Tank bushings are all missing.
    Tank left to rust, heavily.
    Fuel cap key is missing.
    Mirror is gone.
    Wiring harness is exploded (note wires hanging from the neck in the first picture).
    Ignition box is smashed (I can hear your evil giggles already).
    Numerous scrapes and road rash suggest it's been laid down at least once on each side.
    Head light filament broken out and replaced by a bare bulb connected with hand-twisted wire.
    Front forks raised through the triple trees several inches, kinking the clutch cable.
    Starter switch replaced by an off-the-shelf push button.
    Battery box replaced by a bent-up box from who-knows-where.

I may have payed too much for this thing...

And so I have a number of tasks ahead.

-Tires
    I'm going back to the stock sizes. That oversized front wheel just doesn't do it for me.

-Seat
    Going to fab up a couple pads to screw down to the diamond plate that is there now. I haven't decided if I want to put some seat springs in there as well.

-Wiring harness
    I'm going to build one from scratch. I've already pulled all the wire off save for a starter motor lead, stater leads, ignition pickup leads, and r/r lead. The stator leads will end up trimmed to fit with the r/r. The starter motor lead will be trimmed to fit wherever I end up putting the solenoid. And the ignition pickup leads will be replaced when I put in a Dyna S. The rest of the bike will be pretty minimal. The busted headlight is getting replaced with a sealed unit and the missing tail light with a brake/turn signal combo. I'm putting a generic ignition switch in one of the fairing mount points on the triple trees. The stock controls should still be good for everything else (turn, high/low beams, starter). I'm using this wiring diagram as a basic guide and this stock diagram for details like making sure the Dyna gets hooked up right.

-Carbs
    Between the missing airbox and trimmed exhaust I decided to go with pod filters and a re-jet. Following several recommendations, I'm putting in a Stage 3 kit from Dynajet. This is, of course, coupled with new float bowl gaskets from BikeBandit and o-rings from cycleorings.com. I don't have any way to start from a stock reference point for tuning them so I'm going to have some trial and error ahead of me. This carb specification chart is going to be my very good friend through these trying times.

-Engine
    The motor seems to be in mostly decent shape save for a couple sheared side cover bolts and a layer of dust. The video noted that the engine bogged down at high RPMs and I see no reason to suspect that it ever got fixed. A little research pointed to worn valve springs to be the culprit so those will have to be replaced while the motor is out for cleaning. I'll also take the chance and check my valve gaps. To go with the Dyna S mod, I'll need to install a mechanical advance. There isn't much documentation on the difference between the Nippon Denso and Kokusan points and their respective mechanical advances so I'm hoping I purchased the right combo (DS3-1 kit and this advance). I should be able to get a couple of cover bolts from my local salvage yard to replace the two sheared ones.

-Fuel tank
    For the moment, I'm letting the tank sit. If I acid wash the rust out now, it will just flash-rust on me before I can get gas in it. That stuff shows up fast. It happened within an hour last time I did it. From what I've heard, you can prevent this by following the acid wash with a splash of diesel to coat the metal, but haven't tried it and seems like a temporary solution at best. On the outside of the tank, I'll be giving it a sanding and repaint, but haven't decided what color yet. I've never used a spraygun before so this should be some good practice. I'm also replacing the trimmed and painted (with no key) cap with a stock lookalike. I won't know if I need to rebuild the petcock until I have fuel in the thing and can check for leaks.

-Frame
    The frame seems structurally good in most places, but could use a good cleaning and repaint. My roommate (much better with a welder than I) will also be doing some work on the couple spots that look questionable and adding mounting points for the battery box, both of which will be on the seat area.

TL;DR
    I got a PoS and want to un-fornicate it enough to make it ride-able.

Paraphrasing the song you have there a ' Nightmare of Un-fornication '
    It's a sorrowful as an abused pup at the animal shelter.
    I might hold off on the valve springs thinking or hoping that carburation is the real culprit.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

You paid a high price for a parts bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's a parts bike. It will cost you hundreds of hours of labor and a LOT of money to get back on the road, and even if you did the bike is unsafe. Cut your losses.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the valve springs.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OTOH- The patina on the tank and frame is cool. It takes many years of neglect to achieve that.

But Latrans, like others have said, you've only made the down payment on that bike...

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            You paid a high price for a parts bike.
            Perhaps I did, but are you going to tell me I'm wrong?

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            BTW, there is nothing wrong with the valve springs.
            And you know this how? The research I did said the likely culprit to be valve float, but if you have other sources, I'd love to read them.

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
            But Latrans, like others have said, you've only made the down payment on that bike...
            Oh, don't I know it. I'm almost $900(USD) into parts and I haven't even gotten any of them yet.

On the plus side, this next week is going to contain a lot of joy in the mail.

Comment

Do your jetting and valve clearances before frigging with the valve springs, that is probably a lean bog, no filters or exhaust causes it to behave like that.

As stated, it's probably not your valve springs. But it's your bike, throw unnecessary money away if you wish.

As a side note, there are a lot of really smart people on this forum, I'm not one of them, and they can help!

Getting a little snarky as a newb will not help you.....

Good luck and have fun with your project.

Cheers
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Dude, it's not the valve springs. If you pull the head to change the springs you are CRAZY.

I'm not going to say anything more unless I see some mufflers added to those pipes. I've already said too much. I don't help people running loud pipes fix their bikes.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                  Do your jetting and valve clearances before frigging with the valve springs, that is probably a lean bog, no filters or exhaust causes it to behave like that.

As stated, it's probably not your valve springs. But it's your bike, throw unnecessary money away if you wish.

As a side note, there are a lot of really smart people on this forum, I'm not one of them, and they can help!

Getting a little snarky as a newb will not help you.....

Good luck and have fun with your project.

Cheers
                  Given that the bike was shown with a stock airbox and only lightly modified pipes when the problem was reported, I figured it to be valve float, but you (and Brendan) may be right about it being the carbs. Only time and work will tell. To avoid having the motor out twice I'll probably get the carbs done before pulling everything apart for an aesthetic clean/paint/touchup just in case it is the springs.

And I must agree that there are a lot of smart people here. It's what prompted me to join the forums to begin with. Unfortunately there also appear to be some people who are quite offended by the idea of trying to rescue anything other than a stock bike (I'm looking at you, Nessism) and I'm not afraid to tell someone who's being rude and unhelpful to shove off. Snark may not help, but if someone has earned that snark I likely don't want their help anyways.

And thanks for the wish of luck! With these kinds of projects we could all use as much luck as we can get.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Dude, it's not the valve springs. If you pull the head to change the springs you are CRAZY.

I'm not going to say anything more unless I see some mufflers added to those pipes. I've already said too much. I don't help people running loud pipes fix their bikes.
                  Again, please back up your statement or don't make it to begin with. Two other people were kind enough to make alternative suggestions while you continue to just tell me what you are so sure it is not without explaining why. Also, I won't need to pull the head. You can replace the springs without pulling the valves by pressurizing the cylinder with an air compressor hooked to the spark plug threads. The air holds the valve in place so it doesn't fall.

I also agree that you've said too much, please don't say anything more. It is obvious you have a beef with this bike and anybody associated with it. I didn't even build it. I'm just trying to rescue it from rotting in some scrapyard somewhere. Just because the changes don't fit your personal tastes doesn't make it wrong. To be honest, I don't like loud pipes either but that wasn't my decision. You don't see me complaining about it, though. You've been nothing but confrontational and unhelpful so I kindly suggest you go play somewhere else that doesn't offend your delicate stock sensibilities.

Comment

Never heard of valves in a 550 floating, even at 12,000 or so RPM. On the other hand just about every GS with CV carburetors will run like that unless it's jetted correctly for any changes in intake or exhaust.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm going to try to be helpful here. If I come across as a bit short, it's only because there are probably fifty things that need to be done to this bike, and I'm not going to type a four page long dissertation on resurrecting a horribly abused GS back from the dead. I've resurrected/restored about fifteen GSes, CBs, XJs, and KZs from various states of neglect, as have Nessism and tkent02. We know what we're talking about, it's up to you to listen and have a chance of success, or ignore free advice and get frustrated enough to pass it along to another unsuspecting, would-be restorer.

If you go to dynatek's website, you'll discover that the Dyna S ignition does not fit that bike, the contactor cover is too small and it doesn't have a mechanical advance.

http://dynaonline.com/products/sportbikes/dyna-s.aspx .

If the ignition box is smashed, you're S.O.L. until you locate one on ebay or at a bike breaker's shop.

Once you get your ignition issues sorted out (and not before), I wouldn't do anything else to that bike. I don't know what you've ordered parts-wise, but I wouldn't touch anything until the ignition works. If your search for an ignition solution does come to fruition, then you can worry about the rest. If you give up on a possible ignition solution, then you could possibly find an '83-'86 GS550E/ES/L in better shape and use this for a parts donor (although I don't see much on that bike that could be used).

That being said, I wouldn't worry about valve float. If it were that, then you'd pretty much have a first on this board. That's not to say it's impossible, but there are a dozen more likely possibilities to address before tearing the head apart. If you do get the ignition functioning, here's what I'd look at next to get the motor running:

valve clearances
                      carburetor jetting
                      intake air leaks
                      exhaust leaks

Unfortunately, you've got one of the most difficult GS models to restore, and it's in about as bad a shape as a bike could be for a starting point. Good luck with your project, I hope you can make something useful out of it.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Latrans View Post
                        Given that the bike was shown with a stock airbox and only lightly modified pipes when the problem was reported,
                        Dude, given the condition of the bike, the motley assortment of previous owners of that poor bike are various degrees of idiot. You can safely take everything they said (about what a PO said) about it and ignore it.

You can get it running one of two ways; Overhaul, where you tear the motor down, inspect, repair and adjust everything to factory spec. Or trial by fire, where you simply try to get it running by replacing parts and fixing what breaks as you go. Both cost about the same in time and money in the long run, but the former has much better odds of success.

Oh and the cranky old timers are worth putting up with their crankiness.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Never heard of valves in a 550 floating, even at 12,000 or so RPM. On the other hand just about every GS with CV carburetors will run like that unless it's jetted correctly for any changes in intake or exhaust.
                          Many thanks. This is, by far, the most precise reason I've found for why it's not valve float. My conclusion was based on the assumption that the intake/exhaust had only been lightly modified and research on motors in general.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                          I'm going to try to be helpful here....

If you go to dynatek's website...

If the ignition box is smashed, you're S.O.L. ...

That being said, I wouldn't worry about valve float...

Good luck with your project, I hope you can make something useful out of it.
                          That was actually very helpful. Thank you. While it was primarily information I had already found in my searching, the fact that you're willing (and obviously knowledgeable) is most appreciated. And don't worry about writing a long paper on how to get this beast back in running order, I've mostly started this thread as a record of my journey and decidedly less as a plea for help. If I have problems, I'll ask but for the most part I've got the plans and processes mostly sorted.

On the Dyna S, I'm aware that it isn't a straight replacement. Dynatek didn't even produce an aftermarket kit for the 83-87 years and aside from a couple rather questionable questionable (and/or currently un-findable) others. Fortunately, putting a mechanical advance from an earlier bike is a straight bolt-on. The hard part, then, is the Dyna plate not matching the mounting holes. Fortunately this is the only problem and cutting/drilling the plate to fit is a fairly straightforward endeavor (after finding TDC, which isn't marked on the 83-87s). Here's some of the more useful links I found:

Retrofit of a gs750 pickup and igniter box onto a gs550:

And this writeup on the instalation of a Dyna S on 77-79 gs550s:

If this works, I'll see if I can't put together a half-decent writeup for future generations.

Comment

I completely missed your post, James. Sorry about the lack of reply. I only accept the high-rpm bogging issue because it was specifically mentioned in the linked youtube video (when the bike was still running) and have every confidence that all subsequent owners did nothing positive to fix it.

Anyways, I got the first bits for the carbs in the mail to day!

I've also drawn up a wiring schematic with everything approximately where it'll be on the bike. No link to that yet as it's all just blue ballpoint pen and a bit hard to follow. Going to clean it up and color it with an image program before sharing.

Comment

Hey, I recognize that Jolly Rancher. Lol
                              Every time I get an order from Bob and I squeeze the package when I pull it out of the mailbox I think" Oh it's bumpier than just o rings.....I must have ordered some ss bolts too" And I get all happy and rip the pouch open and see its not ss bolts and curse that Jolly Rancher. ....then I eat it. Haha
                              Good to see you are getting things going right with the carbs....it will be a long project but you can certainly make something out of this bike. Keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X