GS1100G, fairing project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G, fairing project

Ok, got this retro Ducati fairing from Air Tech last week, just did the 1st tape on fitting today.

Interesting, needs to be positioned better, higher and with an angle, looks like.

Such a large bubble I can tuck into.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

This GS1000 sold on ebay recently, similar fairing.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Have you considered moving it forward an inch or two and raising it an inch?
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Getting the handlebars to full lock left to right will be a challenge I would think, too. It does look good, though.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks, still playing with ideas.
          I think this is close to final positioning, close enough to begin the brackets.
          I'm gonna mount those lower sides outward, and cut them forward of my knees.
          I'll cut the sides a bit to clear the levers at full lock.
          Looks like the lobes on the windscreen will be in my face when I lean.

Side reach.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-11-2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Such an intense look you have. Almost as if you're actually looking a quarter mile or so down the road! I got caught in the rain last Sunday, and the fairing does a pretty good job of deflecting the stinging rain off of my chest.

I had to pull the fairing off of mine to put in a new tach cable last week, and actually thought it looked cool without the fairing. Of course, I'd have to get bar mounted mirrors for it.
            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Thanks! I was acting for sure.
              Have a look on ebay for some used GS mirrors. High quality Suzuki for cheap.
              I think my G looks great with just the windshield, but over 60 MPH the wind drag compounds by the square.
              I'm seriously considering taking this bike on the track. Hey it's a fun ride!
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-11-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Cleared the area of the headlight, ears, cover plate. The wiring will have to be wrapped and attached to the fairing brackets.

Anybody know where I can buy one of these; 9 pin connector?
                I think it was melted by heat from the headlight bulb. I think it was resting on the base of the bulb.

Comment

I bought one here: http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html You'll need a really small crimper to make the connector work.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

This is a cool project. Im looking forward to see how the bracket fabrication goes. You mention attaching the wiring to the brackets. Are you relocating the headlight?
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey Dork, I'll mount the headlight to the fairing brackets, somewhat like your bike.
                      Thanks Charlie.
                      When I bought this bike, it had a Windjammer fairing, with the wire harness stuffed into a vinyl bag. I'll do something like that.

Comment

Welded on the bracket attachment tabs today.
                        The T bracket is to hold the fairing upper rear corners in place, the aluminum rods will be bent to form, (copied from late 80s GSXR).

These tabs are for a 3 point bracket frame, same as many sport bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Welded on the bracket attachment tabs today.
                          The T bracket is to hold the fairing upper rear corners in place, the aluminum rods will be bent to form, (copied from late 80s GSXR).
                          That "T" bracket looks like it will interfere with the tank.

Comment

Positioned it carefully before welding. Tank slides in easy.

Comment

Been busy riding, but just today I worked out more details for the fairing brackets, bought some supplies and started epoxy gluing aluminum base plates to the fiberglass fairing.
                              The main front bracket will have 3 struts and be adjustable. 2 lower side struts and 2 upper side struts. That makes 7 points fastening it to the bike.
                              All the struts will be 5/16 aluminum rod, with steel tubing for the ends.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-07-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X