• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different calipers...help

Hello everyone,
    (New to the forum.)
    I'm working on a 1982 Suzuki GS 650 e.
    It is now obvious to me that the PO has swapped front calipers.
    Does anyone recognize these. They have round pads. I can't seem to find anything that looks like them.
    Attached Files

another pic...
    20161001_123436.jpg

Comment

Looks like the stock calipers from a pre 1980 GS, they don't work anywhere near as well as the later ones with rectangular pads. A lot of folks put the later ones on the earlier bikes, someone probably took the good brakes for themselves when they sold your bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

....rats!
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

Did they take your nice slotted rotors too?

Comment

The later ones are quite a bit better than the earlier ones... But there are far better brakes available now that also bolt right up.....

EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the

Comment

Yes. Rotors too...
              Will have to look for some.....thanks again.

Comment

That's long read. What are the options for front rotors and calipers?

Comment

If this bike was meant to be used in traffic I'd go the Saltymonk mod for sure. He has some rotors and calipers now too I think.

Comment

That's weird, these look very similar to those of my 550s – but there are a lot of minor details which are quite different.

They served me well enough, even managed to skid a front tire last year. Am a noob though, and still have to convert my bikes to braided brake lines etc.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                    X