Might have found another gs project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have found another gs project

Been quite a while since I've posted but, I just downloaded this letgo app and was browsing around and found an 82 gs850. I know, it's an L but I'm looking for a project so I'm going to check it out this weekend hopefully. Clear title too.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sparky; 07-19-2017, 08:46 PM.
    ---Eric

Good luck!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Have fun with it. What would you like to do...bobber/rat/cafe...or something else?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Not 100% what direction I'll go just yet. First thing if I can make a deal will be to get it running and road Worthy. I've wanted to do a bobber/rat bike for a long time but I don't know if this will be the bike for that.
        ---Eric

Comment

Well I picked up my new project yesterday for $200. She needs a good cleaning and some TLC but I'm pretty excited. First thing I'm starting with is reinstalling the carbs and going over the wiring. I need to get new handlebar controls so I need to find out if I can get some universal ones or if Suzuki did something weird where I have to get factory ones. But I guess that's a question for another section. Now if I could get some pics posted but photo bucket is being weird (haven't used it in years)
          ---Eric

Comment

Wow, I just paid 200 bucks for a set of tires. Good find.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

So I finally had a little time to mess around in the garage. The carbs had been cleaned but not remounted. So I opened them up to check everything and started mounting them together. I ordered some float bowl gaskets that should be here soon but now I'm going to need some o-rings for the pieces that go between carbs for fuel to flow (sorry, I don't know the term) wondering if I can find some locally. I may go check around tomorrow. I also did a little work on the wiring. Went over the wiring diagram and figured out how to make the kill switch/starter button work without the switches. And that let me find out I have spark. So, if I can get an air box and the carbs buttoned up I may have her running soon. I'd post pics but Photobucket won't let me share anymore.
              ---Eric

Comment

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you
                  ---Eric

Comment

Got the carbs reassembled and installed. Temporarily rigged up a filter and she fired right up. I was shocked to be honest. Still working on an air box and there's plenty left to do to get road ready but hearing her fire has got me stoked.
                    ---Eric

Comment

Alright, a little update. Ive been focused on electrical. Got a new set of handle bar controls from another model and wired them in. Got the turn signals working, and replaced the fuse block with a new one that takes modern fuses. Also found the side stand switch had the wires melted so that's fixed. Did the coil relay mod but I have something wrong because I'm not getting fire so I have to check that out. The next two things are the high beam indicator won't go off and the neutral light won't come on but the gear indicator works fine.
                      ---Eric

Comment

Very cool. I got my 1980 850GL under similar circumstances a few years ago. Had been sitting for years and the guy bought it thinking he was going to turn it into a chopper but that never materialized. A cool $250 and a winter's worth of work brought it back to road-worthy. I've just been maintaining and riding it since.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

If you do not like the L configuration, getaseat for an 81 GS550T, it is flat and fits with a few modifications to the locking system. Looks and rides better. I did it this summer to an 82 GS550L. There is a replacement seat cover available on ebay for the T if you do this and can not find a good seat. Ggod luck!
                          GS550T 1981
                          GS850G 1983
                          GS650G 1982
                          GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Finally had a little free time to mess around in the garage today. Put my new gear indicator sensor in and everything works. Figured out my hi beam indicator issue. The p.o. had the oil light socket and hi beam socket in the wrong spots and the hi beam indicator needs a lamp. Was also able to clean up some more wiring with some heat shrink and plastic wire covering. The airbox is complete as well minus the new boots that I'll be ordering soon. A test fire will be coming soon.
                            ---Eric

Comment

I'm finding mixed answers. I know the oil light will be on when the bike is not running. Is the side stand light ment to come one with the oil light as an extra indicator? The bike isn't running yet so im trying to confirm I'm not wasting time searching for a non existent short. I can't get the stand light to go off. I need a new switch but the light won't go off no matter what.
                              ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X