No announcement yet.

Might have found another gs project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the side stand light comes on with low oil. I will go out to my shop and check the operation on my wife's bike in just a few minutes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you sir, I appreciate your help.
      ---Eric

Comment

OK, a little slow getting back to you, but the side stand light on her bike is totally independent of the oil light.

Key ON, engine not running. Oil light is on, stand light is off. Deploy side stand, stand light comes on, too.

Start engine, oil light is off. Side stand up, stand light is off. Deploy side stand, stand light come on.

Use 'kill' switch to stop engine, oil light comes on, stand light is still off.

I have thought that the stand light came on with the oil light, but I guess I will have to change that thought.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got a little update. Finally got my air box boots so the airbox is on, rigged up a temporary fuel tank and got the Ol girl to fire up again. Had the idle too high so it tried to take off without choke at first. Still some fine tuning to do there, but she idled on her own for a few minutes. Pretty sure I fouled a plug now as it dropped to 3 cylinders after the last start up. I'm pretty excited now but there's still lots of work to do
          ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
            If you do not like the L configuration, getaseat for an 81 GS550T, it is flat and fits with a few modifications to the locking system. Looks and rides better. I did it this summer to an 82 GS550L. There is a replacement seat cover available on ebay for the T if you do this and can not find a good seat. Ggod luck!
            Digging up my older thread but I found a 550t seat. Is it just the latch/key area on the back that needs modification? I've been looking at those universal seats but that would require some frame modifications since the L frame steps up so this 550t seat idea has me very interested
            ---Eric

Comment

I went ahead and took a shot. I bought the 550t seat which is in amazing shape for the price. Looks like I'll have to modify the pieces where it slides into place at the front and the lock at the back but its doable and looks great on the bike.
              ---Eric

Comment

Cool - if I recall I had to modify the rear catch/lock set up a wee bit by adding some washers/spacers and perhaps longer bolts to make it line up. If by chance the seat cover on the GS550T seat gives out Pit Replicas sell replacements ... I am sounding like a sales agent for them as it is the second time this week I've mentioned them here!
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982
                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

The c shaped "hooks" that the two round "pins" slip into at the front of the seat, I'll have to extend them towards the rear of the bike or weld on new ones because the seat hits the tank before the "pins" reach the "hooks". Still less work than the universalflat seats I was looking at
                  ---Eric

Comment

https://i.imgur.com/MBfY4jt.jpg
                    ---Eric

Comment

Wow!

That’s quite impressive for $200

my 750 is giving me so much of a headache I look forward to something like your experience in the future.

Comment

That is a nice price for a vintage bike. That's not how I received my congratulatory "pat on the back" from my local motorcycle shop. I paid $475 for mine and have put $1500+ into her.

Good luck and happy times with your new bike.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Here is the new bracket I made for the seat latch and the new bars

https://imgur.com/a/FteRLum
                          Last edited by Sparky; 01-25-2019, 04:05 PM.
                          ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X