I've made a huge mistake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made a huge mistake...

So.... working on the small restoration of my 1980 GS1000GL (I am very new at this, so please don't be too critical) I stripped the paint of the tank and that came out great. However, i did not make the connection of paint stripper + plastic = melted plastic. So my side covers are made of plastic and I was so stupid to put paint stripper on them, and now they look like pure junk. So now, I am in need of new side covers, If anyone is selling these or anyone has suggestions on what to do next. Please reply, thanks in advance.

-Felix

Originally posted by fefrank View Post
    So my side covers are made of plastic and I was so stupid to put paint stripper on them, and now they look like pure junk.
    Did the side covers warp or is only the surface affected? If it's only the surface you should be able to sand them smooth and then repaint.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

[QUOTE=mmattockx;2424396]Did the side covers warp or is only the surface affected? If it's only the surface you should be able to sand them smooth and then repaint.

Mark[/QUOTEt

They didn't warp too bad, the edges however did melt.

Comment

In tried that stripper thats "supposed" to be for plastic.. IT is NOT safe for plastic. Cratered the hell out of a test piece and I was glad it didnt get on a good part!!! Never again for me other than strip sanding with some 180 and them going with 400 to smooth things out. Primer and paint after alls well.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X