Opinions on potential GS1100 purchase..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on potential GS1100 purchase..

Considering picking this up for a sidecar project. 1982 GS1100E. Aftermarket exhaust, new battery, larger Mikuni carbs, new spark plugs. Owner claims it was running well and died on him on a local freeway while commuting the other day. Now appears to not have spark.
    First, this is not a factory color correct?
    Secondly, any thoughts on repair based on the limited info?
    Attached Files

Another pic. Asking $1000 Cdn (approx. $800 US) and I can likely grind it down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Rule #1, never believe what someone is telling you about an item they have for sale. Unless of course you know this person.

I assume since it has no spark, it doesn't run. Will the engine turn over with the starter? Seems to be overpriced if not running. How could you even test ride it to make sure it is rideable?

Make him an offer of what you think it is worth, just be ready to put a lot more $$$ into it. Check the date code of the tires -- this could be a bargaining point in your favor if older than 4 years.

Good luck and do keep us posted. BTW, I would say that is a re-paint.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

It'd already be in my driveway.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Pretty good price as long as there is no serious engine damage, which is hard to tell if it won't start. Repair could be as simple as a loose wire to as complicated as bent valves. Take off the right side ignition cover and turn over the engine by with a wrench, at least that way you'll know it's not seized and 'probably' no serious engine damage. It does not have the original paint anymore but maybe it's clean enough? You've got almost $1000 in parts there. I'd grab it myself if I were looking for one and closer.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by 1150newb View Post
            Considering picking this up for a sidecar project. 1982 GS1100E. Aftermarket exhaust, new battery, larger Mikuni carbs, new spark plugs. Owner claims it was running well and died on him on a local freeway while commuting the other day. Now appears to not have spark.
            First, this is not a factory color correct?
            Secondly, any thoughts on repair based on the limited info?
            Another pic. Asking $1000 Cdn (approx. $800 US) and I can likely grind it down.
            Hmm. What looks like VM carbs. Crappy el cheapo pod filters. Not running. It does look decent in the pics, though. Definitely a pig in a poke. After turning the engine over either with the starter or a wrench on the end of the crank to confirm it's not seized I would try and beat him down some since it is not even close to stock and is not running so you can't confirm how well it was tuned with the carbs and pods.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

You might try getting it into a higher gear and see if you can push it to make engine turn. At least you'd know it wasn't locked up.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                Hmm. What looks like VM carbs. Crappy el cheapo pod filters. Not running. It does look decent in the pics, though. Definitely a pig in a poke. After turning the engine over either with the starter or a wrench on the end of the crank to confirm it's not seized I would try and beat him down some since it is not even close to stock and is not running so you can't confirm how well it was tuned with the carbs and pods.

Mark
                Not sure what size those VM's are but some are worth some money. It will cost at ; $200-$250 to find some decent carbs and pods. Add another $125 for a jet kit. I'd say it is worth $400. $500-$600 if it was an 83(which it is not).
                Last edited by posplayr; 09-01-2017, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  $500-$6700 if it was an 83(which it is not).
                  Based on?

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

'82 wheels, 82 rear footpeg carriers, silver bottom on the engine. Top was painted or replaced.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      Based on?

Mark
                      That $6700 was a typo where I probably meant $600.

I have bought three 83 1100EDs (in California) with poor cosmetics but good engine for under $500. None of them ran either.

If that was a complete 82 1100 and it would just take a little labor to get it to run might get it close to the asking price, but it probably needs carbs replaced which you should subtract from the value.

Generally an 83 black motor is pretty bullet proof. 82's can have crank and started problems. There is a possibility the OP just could not get the VMs to run and gave up. The pipes are hardly blued, but I would not suspect that it is properly jetted
                      Last edited by posplayr; 09-01-2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Seems like a shafty would be a better choice for a sidecar rig.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Well I keep waiting and hoping I find a cheap fixable 70's era beemer for the rig but I'm just exploring some ideas.

I really like the input on this forum in particular about this GS1100. I've got a bit of a rule I try to stick by "it has to run to get $500." This does not so if I pursue it's gonna be cheap or he can keep it. Personally I prefer the '83 and on shape and styling of the GS's, be it 550, 750, 1100's so I might keep looking. I've got to get my 1150 on the road still but always looking for something to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            Seems like a shafty would be a better choice for a sidecar rig.
                            Well.....funny you should suggest this. I've also found this gem(?). 1980. Cosmetically challenged. Can't drive it at night. But lots on it. Going to look at this one on the weekend. Are there spoked rims from similar GS generations that will fit this model with no mods? I'm thinking front rim, likely. But rear rim on the shaft drive?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Well.....funny you should suggest this. I've also found this gem(?). 1980. Cosmetically challenged. Can't drive it at night. But lots on it. Going to look at this one on the weekend. Are there spoked rims from similar GS generations that will fit this model with no mods? I'm thinking front rim, likely. But rear rim on the shaft drive?
                              There is a local guy here in Tucson that just put together an GS850 with a sidecar for a trip to Death valley.

A search might show up his thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X