No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100LT Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a pic of what the clearcoat did...never had any problems like this with the base coat and spraying in the same area and using same cleaning prior to paint/clear technique.

best
    1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
    16 Valve DOHC
    Original Owner

Comment

So much depends on the cleanliness of where you are painting. Even in a pro booth, you're going to get a little dirt in it. If you're painting in a garage, the chances of getting stuff in the paint quadruples. Did you use a tack rag before spraying? Your job has been made more difficult, if for no other reason, because of it being spray cans. It's harder to do because it just goes out of the can dryer and in a smaller pattern then with a gun. Hanging your parts rather then spraying them on the bench (?) will help immensely. Particulates from the surrounding towels and cardboard will blow debris right into your fresh paint. It'll sand smooth and polish out, but some of the dirt/particles might be encased and will never go away short of starting over from scratch. White would show even worse.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Painting is a learning experience, especially wit rattle cans

Since you're cleaning up, I suggest cleaning up your electrical connectors. A can of DeOxit seems expensive, but it is so effective that the cost is offset. Pull open a connection, spritz both sides with DeOxit, let it sit for a minute or two, reconnect, done. If really heavy corrosion is present, repeat as necessary.

Did anyone mention tire replacement yet?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I shot another coat of base on the tank and did not get any of the gritty effect in the tank paint at all...location and other conditions were almost identical to the clear coat going on the side covers so evidentially the clear coat has some qualities/ingredients that possibly requires a different procedure. A Google search turned up this happening with a bunch of different people so I'll just deal with it in the buffing/polishing stage. I am going to get the clear coat finished on the side covers before I start clear coating the tank and will hang the tank and try to eliminate areas of dust.

Good tip on the electrical connections and the tires were new about 10 years ago and probably not more than 250 miles on them. Before I replace the tires again I'm going to make sure that I actually will ride my GS.
          One question...should I clearcoat the frame or just go with the Rustoleum enamel?
          1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
          16 Valve DOHC
          Original Owner

Comment

After thinking about it there is one thing that I did different from the base coat to the clearcoat application....on the clearcoat application I set the rattle can in a container of water that ran out of the hot tap in my utility sink..maybe set in the hot tap water for 5-7 minutes. The next clearcoat application on the side covers will be done using clearcoat at room temperature.
            Last edited by LOTO; 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM.
            1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
            16 Valve DOHC
            Original Owner

Comment

Soaking a spray can in very warm water is always a good idea. Shake it, soak it, shake it again. It does flow out nicer. You can hang your side covers, too. Attach a wire to hang it, then attach another wire (a short piece of clothes hanger works great) to one of the lower mounting tabs to hold in your free hand. It allows you to spray w/o the darn thing spinning or moving around
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                Soaking a spray can in very warm water is always a good idea. Shake it, soak it, shake it again. It does flow out nicer. You can hang your side covers, too. Attach a wire to hang it, then attach another wire (a short piece of clothes hanger works great) to one of the lower mounting tabs to hold in your free hand. It allows you to spray w/o the darn thing spinning or moving around

I wet sanded the side covers down and applied another round of clearcoat and did things exactly the way I did with the clearcoat that came out with the grainy texture EXCEPT I did not immerse the the clearcoat can in warm water and both side covers came out looking great. I have a couple of small runs to wet sand out but other than that the surface is as smooth as a baby's butt.
                The warm can technique works for many people and the next time I tried it this technique could work for me..
                Last edited by LOTO; 10-19-2017, 08:37 AM.
                1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                16 Valve DOHC
                Original Owner

Comment

btw....prior to wet sanding the side covers down I wiped them down with a clean, damp, cloth and the gritty texture appears to be tiny, tiny, air bubbles and most of them "popped" when wiping down.
                  1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                  16 Valve DOHC
                  Original Owner

Comment

I wet sanded the tank again and will apply another base coat tomorrow or Saturday...the west sanding is actually getting kind of fun in trying to get that perfectly smooth surface.

A couple of things that I have really learned so far is to get any imperfections covered in the primer/filler stages because paint does not fill low spots very well even if the low spots seem tiny. The other thing is that wet sanding is your friend and don't be afraid to do it between base or clear coats...the scratches from wet sanding disappear even between coats of clear.
                    1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                    16 Valve DOHC
                    Original Owner

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr
                      My experience has been that the final finish is all about how you lay on the final clear layers. You don't really need a super smooth base coat, and has been mentioned if it is to glassy the clear will not adhere.

Here is a slide show of a 1980 GS1100L I did for Chef1366. He later buffed out teh clear, but it was pretty presentable as it was. This was my first black paint job with painted lines.

http://s449.photobucket.com/user/pos...GSR/Bills_Tank
                      When I say smooth I mean that there are no little/tiny holes or imperfections in the tank itself. I had 3 tiny spots no bigger than the head of a pin that didn't get tilled in on the primer/filler part of the tank and I have been fighting getting those tiny holes filled in with the paint.
                      1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                      16 Valve DOHC
                      Original Owner

Comment

So it would be easier to touch up with sealer/filler and then base coat the areas again? I have Rustoleum filler and thought about doing that.
                        Last edited by LOTO; 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM.
                        1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                        16 Valve DOHC
                        Original Owner

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr
                          My experience has been that the final finish is all about how you lay on the final clear layers. You don't really need a super smooth base coat, and has been mentioned if it is to glassy the clear will not adhere.

Here is a slide show of a 1980 GS1100L I did for Chef1366. He later buffed out teh clear, but it was pretty presentable as it was. This was my first black paint job with painted lines.

Final:
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Prep:
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Paint:
                          http://s449.photobucket.com/user/pos...int_Job?sort=3

LOL...I see you need to thank the United States Postal Service for the free cardboard too
                          1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                          16 Valve DOHC
                          Original Owner

Comment

Originally posted by LOTO View Post
                            LOL...I see you need to thank the United States Postal Service for the free cardboard too
                            For those posting to this thread you seem to be the most needy.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              For those posting to this thread you seem to be the most needy.

There are photos of USPS cardboard shipping boxes in your photos and hence the reference to the boxes......
                              1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                              16 Valve DOHC
                              Original Owner

Comment

Wet sanded tank, hung tank, used tack cloth, let Rustoleum Enamel can sit in hot/warm tap water, and sprayed another base coat...this coat came out almost perfect with no orange peel or "sandy/gritty" look in the paint. Just have one very small paint sag and will wet sand it out in several days and apply the last base coat (hopefully).

IMG_8313 (800x600)

IMG_8311 (800x600)
                                1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                                16 Valve DOHC
                                Original Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X