No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100LT Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowly re-assembling everything but it is nice to see things coming together. I've got 3 coats of SprayMax on the tank and side covers and the plan it to wet sand and apply 2-3 more coats...the clear is a little thin over the stripes and I want to get it sealed in better.
    Buffing/polishing the covers/cases and went ahead and ordered new Suzuki emblems for the covers...think I am goring to remove all words except "Suzuki" and polish it up like the old on in the photo.

I gave up on trying to clean the old SS allen bolts and just ordered a complete new set and they should be here on Monday.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
    16 Valve DOHC
    Original Owner

Comment

New bolts came in and seem to be a good quality....nicely packaged and I like the smooth outside of the heads and should be easer to keep clean.
      I'm going to try a Maier sport fairing....mounting hardware came with it but going to try and figure out something less bulky....ordered from Dennis Kirk on Wednesday afternoon and arrived here on Friday afternoon.
      Still polishing on the engine casings..ordered new gaskets from Parts Outlaw and they have always been the least expensive for OEM parts I have ordered.

Last edited by LOTO; 09-09-2018, 05:46 AM.
      1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
      16 Valve DOHC
      Original Owner

Comment

Went ahead and installed the fairing using the supplied mounting hardware and gotta say that it is a pretty easy install going that way and the fairing is rock solid. I have to pull it off to paint and I'll re-install using chrome bolts/nuts/washers.Looks like there will be just enough room to mount a holder/charger for my iPhone above the instrument cluster. 1 3 2
        1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
        16 Valve DOHC
        Original Owner

Comment

Finished painting and striping my Maier fairing this morning and will apply 3 coats of Spraymax 2k clearcoat after it cools down a bit this evening. I already have 3 coats of Spraymax on the tank and side covers and will use remainder of can to apply additional costs to them.....have another can of Spraymax saved for 3 more coats to fairing and msc parts.

The Meier fairing is pretty solid but I went ahead and added a couple of ABS pieces to the back side of the fairing for a little extra stiffness at the bolt area.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
          16 Valve DOHC
          Original Owner

Comment

The SEM paint and Spraymax clearcoat are a good combination and for me they have been WAY less problems than Rustoleum...actually no problems.
            Wasn't satisfied with the VHT caliper paint so time for aircraft stripper and this time I went with Duplicolor enamel with ceramic...so far I like that finish more.
            Thought it was a good time to replace exhaust gasket seals and those came in and will get that done.
            Many of the bolts are just snug fitted and once I get finished pulling parts off and changing my mind I'll replace many of the bolts with new SS bolts and torque down accordingly.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
            16 Valve DOHC
            Original Owner

Comment

Haven't accomplished much lately but did get a small luggage rack installed. About 18 bucks shipped to my door from Amazon but I did have to modify to work for my L. The rack was set up for a solo seat rack and I made a rear stand/leg anchor from 3/4" steel pipe and ran a 1/2" carriage bolt through then bolted underside of the fender.
              I've had that Willie and Max bag since I bought my L new in 1980 and it still is in very good condition. I plan on eventually getting a new sissy bar bag and undecided on brand yet.

url=https://flic.kr/p/2ajzBnt][/url]IMG_1806 (800x600)

IMG_1808 (800x600)

IMG_1819 (800x600)
              1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
              16 Valve DOHC
              Original Owner

Comment

I lost a couple of side covers.. The guy at the boneyard gave me a suggestion. I now use a small black zip tie through the top slot in the cover..
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
                  I lost a couple of side covers.. The guy at the boneyard gave me a suggestion. I now use a small black zip tie through the top slot in the cover..
                  I have lost several over the years myself and thanks for the tip.
                  1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                  16 Valve DOHC
                  Original Owner

Comment

Not much big progress to show but I've been taking care of the little items. I re-connected all the turn signal/brake light wiring and had one signal not flashing and found a rusty connection so figured this was a good time to do a little preventive maintenance...cleaned all turn signal/brake light bulb sockets and replaced all the bulbs, cleaned up any rusty/dirty electrical connections, replaced the headlight bulb, and replaced all fuses. I know the headlight bulb was original and probably some of the signal bulbs and now all lights seem much brighter.

I've been reading/watching videos on carb rebuild for quite some time and have decided to tackle the job myself. I also plan on painting at least the carb body and will use SprayMax or another 2k clear over the color coat....probably black carb body.

When I initially pulled the carbs off and then removed the bowls there was very little "gunk" in the bottom of the bowl and carb internals were actually very clean also. I haven't pulled and of the jets yet but do plan on using the stock ones again.

I don't want to cut any corners but from my reading it sounds like replacing all the o rings and possibly needle and seat is recommended?

best
                    1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                    16 Valve DOHC
                    Original Owner

Comment

Nice work Loto! Obviously no P.O. issues to worry about as this is a one owner.

Comment

Haven't accomplished much lately and I was kind of stuck on whether to send my carbs off for a rebuild/paint or do it myself and I finally decided to do it myself. The tutorials on this Forum are a huge help and so far it has been far less challenging than I was expecting. I'll be ordering the orings for re-assembly soon.

Carbs had been through an ultrasound and I did a dip in 50/50 Simple Green/water, washed well with hot water, then used compressed air to dry.
                        SprayMax 2k primer, SEM Black colorcoat, and SprayMax Glamour (glossy) clearcoat....all were sprayed yesterday morning.

Black carb bodies and then I'll polish the tops and bottoms.

IMG_2084 (800x600)

IMG_2085 (800x600)

IMG_2090 (800x600)

IMG_2093 (800x600)
                        1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                        16 Valve DOHC
                        Original Owner

Comment

It's been fun watching your project evolve and the tips/techniques that you picked up along the way..especially in the paint process. Higher quality materials that come in a "system" always make the job easier. The PPG materials that I use are expensive, but the quality and ease of application is undeniable. I'll look forward to your finished bike.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                            It's been fun watching your project evolve and the tips/techniques that you picked up along the way..especially in the paint process. Higher quality materials that come in a "system" always make the job easier. The PPG materials that I use are expensive, but the quality and ease of application is undeniable. I'll look forward to your finished bike.
                            Many of the issues I had with Rustoleum products were self inflicted due to painting in lower than recommended temperatures and humidity and also getting in a hurry. There were several instances of doing everything recommended and everything looks good until the final layer of clear goes on and then the dreaded spider webs appear. I've painted lots of homes/condos but the enamel paint on metal was all new to me.
                            I'm actually enjoying working on my GS again and if I can get the carbs done and have my GS start and run without taking it to a shop I'll be very happy with that accomplishment.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                            16 Valve DOHC
                            Original Owner

Comment

Orings came in today and got 2 carbs put back together using the tutorials for reference...much easier than I expected. I have stainless Allen head screws for the top and bottom and ordered stainless screws for the two carb gang brackets and if all goes well I hope to get carbs put back together in the gang soon.
                              1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                              16 Valve DOHC
                              Original Owner

Comment

Carbs are back together with all new orings (thank you Robert Barr) and rubber passage plugs and I tried to follow the tutorial closely and hopefully everything is back to gether correctly. I'm going to order new OEM fuel ine, vent/vaccum lines today so I'll probably attempt to put the carbs back on next week. I am going to try and use my old boots...they are still fairly flexible and are not cracked or weathered....I'll heat them up with a hair dryer and wipe a little motor oil on the boots to help slide on the carbs.

I used all new SS screws for the carbs and went with the button head for the gang brackets...got them from Alleyboltz.com and they are very reasonably priced and shipping is quick.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                                16 Valve DOHC
                                Original Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X