1980 GS1100LT Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Bummer. You might want to check if the coils are hooked up right. Maybe 1-4 feed is switched with 2-3?
    Put new oil in and switched coil to plug wires and she started right up.....left coil goes to 2 and 3.

time for some fine tuning now
    1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
    16 Valve DOHC
    Original Owner

Comment

Let my GS run about 2-3 minutes then shut it down to check for oil and gas leaks and all was good. I had to keep the choke slightly open or it would not idle but that was because I had my idler set too low.

After checking for leaks and problems I started my GS right up and adjusted idle and she ran fine with no choke for several minutes more. When I rev the rpms there is a slight “crack” noise from the exhaust but the throttle is very responsive and I’m surprised it sounds this good already. Pilot screws are back to 2.5 turns (360 degrees) out and I’ll fine tune in the morning when it is cooler.

I have a new petcock to install on the tank and after fine tuning I’ll add the tank but not going to get in a big hurry at this point.

Why would the coils be switched? I’m the original owner and have never had the coils replaced so it would of had to come from Suzuki like this.
      1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
      16 Valve DOHC
      Original Owner

Comment

Only thing I can think of is the wires from the harness to the coils were switched for some reason. Did you disconnect them during the frame painting or other work
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Only thing I can think of is the wires from the harness to the coils were switched for some reason. Did you disconnect them during the frame painting or other work
          i never disconnected any of the main wiring harness....lights,horn, accessories was all. When I pulled the plug wires off I labeled each one of them and about 6-8 months ago when I was a little more informed on my GS I noticed that the numbers on my label didn’t match the manual but I just thought I somehow wrote down the wrong number on the label....I guess not now
          Last edited by LOTO; 06-17-2019, 07:50 AM.
          1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
          16 Valve DOHC
          Original Owner

Comment

Started my GS this morning (still on IV fuel supply)with the intention of adjusting carbs a little more but it was running and starting so well I left as is for now. Next I put the tank on, hooked up fuel and vacuum and hit the starter and she started right up and ran beautiful. I shut her down and installed the headlight fairing, side covers, and put several cable ties on the hoses and switch control cables on the handlebars. Dropped the hoist down and pushed her 15 feet out the door and set up on the kickstand and finally I was complete......turned the key on and hit the start button and nothing happened...gear sift indicator numbers are the only thing that works. No horn, turn signals, nada.....must be a dead short or bad ground somewhere and off comes the fairing, cable ties on bars, and tank.....looks like I’ll backtract all the progress from this morning
            1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
            16 Valve DOHC
            Original Owner

Comment

The problem didn't fix itself overnight so I first started checking for pinched wires since everything was working fine until I installed seat, fairing, cable ties, and wheeled out the door. The digital gear indicator was still the only thing working.

First thing I checked was the battery and ground is connected and this is a new battery and fully charged....should add that fuses were the first thing checked the previous day.

Didn't find any pinched wires so I removed the left and right horn/starter/turn signal controls and didn't see any problems with pinched wires and the contacts (which are new) looked to be working properly. I disconnected rear turn signals/brake light and still no power to anything else so I started removing all the cable ties and factory wire holders to expose connections better.

I had the key in the off position when pulling the electrical connections out for access...some I disconnected to expose easier but then re-connected after moving around. I also took the headlight loose for better access. Once I had most of the connections easy to get to I turned the key on and the digital gear indicator did not come on as before. I checked all the connections and everything seemed good so I tried to isolate the problem and disconnected the rear turn signals/brake light...still no change.
              Somewhere around this time I pressed the horn button and digital gear indicator light came on but only when horn button was pressed....checked connections again and everything looked good so I pulled one horn connection loose, pressed horn button and gear light came on...pulled other horn wires off and no power to gear indicator.

In my limited electrical knowledge it looks like the horns are acting as the ground and since gear indicator light takes very little power to run it is the only thing that will "run"...

Any suggestions? I do not have a 12 volt circuit tester but probably should buy one to have around.
              1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
              16 Valve DOHC
              Original Owner

Comment

Originally posted by LOTO View Post
                Any suggestions? I do not have a 12 volt circuit tester but probably should buy one to have around.
                I'd start with that, or buying a test light so you can see where you have power and where you don't. No sense in asking for suggestions on where to start if you don't have the tools to do the diag suggested. Just sayin.
                1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I did find my 12volt tester but didn’t need it. I was convinced there was a bad ground somewhere and I was looking for an excuse to tidy up my wiring anyway so I started at the handle bars and visually and physically checked every connection.....pulled most of the wiring away from the frame/side covers so I could easily access. I got all the way to the battery and there is one harness going towards the front/bars and there are 2 grounding eyelets coming off the harness....one eye goes to ground near the solenoid and the other eylet was broken off and not connected. I grounded/touched the eylet to the frame and everything worked. Still need to find out where it should be grounded but needed a break.
                  While the wiring is easy to get to I’m going to clean most of the connections and tidy up the wire routing....I’ll do a quick search and see what (if any) spray is recommended for wiring and connections.

I have learned to have a lot of patience from this and if I can rebuild carbs and trouble shoot electric issues then pretty much anyone can with the help from this forum.

edit: The ground that was disconnected should be grounded to my battery box...can’t believe I didn’t catch that sooner
                  Last edited by LOTO; 06-19-2019, 06:23 PM.
                  1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                  16 Valve DOHC
                  Original Owner

Comment

What a great thread! That bike is starting to look like a work of art. Glad to hear it's just about ready to hit the road.

Originally posted by LOTO View Post
                    I’ll do a quick search and see what (if any) spray is recommended for wiring and connections.
                    Spray the terminals with electronic contact cleaner and wipe them clean. Use compressed air or q-tip for the female connections. DeoxIT is widely regarded as the best brand but I would bet most any brand will work fine. I inherited a can of DeoxIT that's probably as old as I am, it still works great.

Make sure to work the terminals back and forth a little when plugging them back in. If any are loose, squeeze the female end slightly with pliers and try again.

Some people swear by dielectric grease but I find it just makes a mess when you go back to troubleshoot or repair something later.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks eil!!
                      1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                      16 Valve DOHC
                      Original Owner

Comment

Got most everything back together this morning and all electrical is working as it should. There are several miles of good blacktop county roads by my house so I took her for a couple of mile road test with 45 mph top speed. Carbs are still set at 2.5 turns out and don't see any reason to make changes yet...idles and runs almost perfect.

I'll slap the headlight fairing on in a couple of days and then probably get licensed next week if all continues to go well.

1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                        16 Valve DOHC
                        Original Owner

Comment

That sure is a beauty! If you ever want to sell that seat, let me know!
                          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                          1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I love a happy ending!

That's 2 valves, correct? Do you know what the exact cc is, in the manual or stamped on the engine?

That seat, the white-lettered tires, etc., sure take me back.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

[QUOTE=jsandidge;2549689]That sure is a beauty! If you ever want to sell that seat

The seat was on her when I bought my GS and it was brand new on the showroom floor....don’t remember if it shipped to the dealer like that or they added the seat.....don’t think I’ll be parting with that seat anytime soon
                              1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                              16 Valve DOHC
                              Original Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                                I love a happy ending!

That's 2 valves, correct? Do you know what the exact cc is, in the manual or stamped on the engine?

That seat, the white-lettered tires, etc., sure take me back.
                                It is a 16 valve DOHC engine and not sure what the exact cc is....carbs and engine is stock.
                                1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                                16 Valve DOHC
                                Original Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X