82 GS850G, start of a new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850G, start of a new project

So I'm a member on a local motorcycle facebook group. The vast majority of the group are sportbike and cruiser riders, but there's a few of us on different stuff. A guy recently posted up that he had two bikes he wanted to get rid of for 500 dollars for the set. I really don't have room for 2 more bikes in my shop right now and didn't need to spend 500 dollars either but 250 I could.

The two bikes were a 1978 CB750 and the other is a 82 GS850G, well maybe, all he has is action sale paperwork, no title (the Honda has a title), the build date on the vin tag for the GS850 shows October 1981. I was expecting to find complete basket cases but they both appear to be nearly completely intact. The 850 is for sure missing one side cover and the seat pan has obviously seen better days. The tank is also quite rusty so that will need to be dealt with and I'm sure the carbs are full of varnish and gunk. But I couldn't turn it down for 250 dollars. The 750 looks like it might be in slightly better shape other than the very rusted head pipes. I turned the motor over with the kick starter and it turned fine and seemed to have good compression. I wasn't able to turn the GS over since I forgot my extra battery at the house, so for all I know it could be locked up.

The 850

The Honda

Can't wait to get it in the garage and start tearing into it . Should look nice sitting next to my 1000E

Well, that's quite the score! Around here, people would be asking $2K for either one of those bikes... Of course around here, people are out of their minds.
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

PM sent. I have a titled 82 850G. Maybe we can work something out.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Retrieved them today and stuck the GS in the garage. and the Honda went home with it's new owner. Teardown starts in a week or two. Going to be a slow process due to funding but it will eventually roll down the road again.

Comment

Work has begun. Removed the tank front fender and windjammer. Washing all the parts as they come off. Most look in good shape integrity wise but the tank and fender are going to need new paint. The tail fairing has broken off at the forward tabs but I've seen a few on Ebay. I'll need a left hand frame cover as well which I've also seen on Ebay.

I did hook a battery up and the bike cranks and sounds like it has good compression but my compression tester is currently MIA.

Can't wait to keep going on it

Any suggestions on polishing up the windscreen on the fairing? I was thinking of a headlight resto kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
            Any suggestions on polishing up the windscreen on the fairing? I was thinking of a headlight resto kit.
            Sorry, but your best bet is going to be REPLACEMENT.

Slipstreamer is one company that offers a replacement. Not cheap, at $105-150, depending on options, but they are available.
            Slipstreamer Inc. provides OEM Replacements for BMW, Harley Davidson, Honda Line, Kawasaki, etc. Contact us if you want any help ordering the correct part!

There are a few on eBay that claim to be new Slipstreamers. A bit cheaper, at 'only' $75-ish.
            Get the best deals for Vetter Windshield at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Do a search on "Vetter windshield", you will find plenty of them out there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got the new battery in from Amazon and got it on maintenance mode now after the initial charge. And put 5 and a half gallons of vinegar into the fuel tank to hopefully clean up some of the rust.

Wife has a dog agility thing this weekend so I'll be on kid dooty and don't forsee getting anything done on the bike this weekend. I would like to get the carbs off at the very least.

Comment

Tank off and devingarized. Derusted too. Man tha stuff worked like a champ. No leaks that i could find. Flushed and shook with water a few times which knocked the rest loose. Tank looks great. Got a tiny bit of flash rusting before I was able to run a bit of running alcohol through an fog as best i could with wd40. Got the shop vac blowing air into it now to hopefully dehumidfy it some more.

Also got the carbs off and partially torn down. They're not as bad as I thought but I still may send them to weird George down in the hill country. He rebuilt my gs1000 vm26 carbs about 15years ago or so and they've been flawless. But that's going to hurt the ol pocketbook.

Comment

Carbs cleaned up. Waiting on parts.

Comment

Havent uprated for a bit. Got valves adjusted and carbs ready.

Pulled the rear end apart. Swing arm moves very smoothly with no play in the pivot so I left it in place. Going to take a wire wheel to the rust and re spray as needed. The rear master cylinder is frozen so I'll be tearing that and the caliper down for a rebuild.

Slowly working my way forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X