Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit time

Hey gang.

This weekend I adopted a slightly tatty black '99 Bandit, which will get tidied up and become my daily ride. 49K on the clock and looks it (I'll post pics soon), but runs well. It has a D&D slip-on, twin K&N filters and has been jetted to suit those changes. I'll be installing new tires, brake pads (and bleeding the lines), fork seals (and springs), changing the oil, etc. It was missing its front fender, so I ordered a used one, which I will repaint from silver to black. I'll have to find hardware to mount the fender. I will also have the seat reupholstered, as the front is beginning to fray. The bike has Renthal bars, which I like. I need to buy a CRG Lanesplitter for the left end, and will replace the grips. Eventually, I'll replace the rear shock/spring unit with something affordable (though probably not a Busa unit, since I don't want to change the steering geometry).

That's all I plan to do other than regular maintenance. Looking forward to having a daily ride again.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Cool.......
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Following along. I have an interest in these beasts.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It really seems to me to be about a perfect bike for everyday life.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

That's a nice bike! (what I was able to google and see pics) Looking forward to pics.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I rode it around the block (no farther because the tires are B.A.L.D. and the left fork seal is puked badly). It's super comfy, sounds great and has immediate torque (which is always viscerally pleasing). I think I'm gonna like this bike.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I hope you will replace those 19 year old brake lines. Unless they were already replaced
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Tourque... One of the reasons I love my 1150 so much. I'm sure the Bandit is even better.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  I hope you will replace those 19 year old brake lines. Unless they were already replaced
                  It has Galfers.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Tourque... One of the reasons I love my 1150 so much. I'm sure the Bandit is even better.
                    I think the Bandit may actually have slightly less torque than the 1150 (I could be wrong), but it feels more immediate, possibly due to the lighter weight and perhaps gearing.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Did you get a 1200S or the naked one? I love my 2004, I typically leave it in 5th gear when cruising the freeways, it will pull hard from 3K up so never any need to downshift.
                      A couple of things I have learned, the Petcocks are just as reliable as they were in 1980, so keep an eye on that. Suzuki let some insane person set the idle screws on the Mikunis. I still had the anti-tamper plugs when I bought mine and they were set anywhere from 0 turns to 1 turns out, it "lean sneezed" at idle when cold like it was suffering from allergies, a stage 1 kit took care of all that. If you are familiar with GSs then turning a wrench on the Bandit will be easy.
                      1981 Suzuki GS250T
                      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                      1985 Suzuki GS550E
                      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

It's a naked one, which I prefer. I've had my worries about the petcocks ever since my 1150's went south (I replaced it with a Pingel). The jetting seems clean, and since it was rejetted for the slip-on and K&Ns, I suspect it is less lean. Eventually, I'll get it on an EGA to find out.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

What no pics??
                          I build Pipers

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/...b592dc4d_m.jpg

Comment

Yes sir, pics please.
                            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Seriously, I need to see these B.A.L.D tires and GALFER brake lines, Mr. Forum Long Timer........
                              Last edited by Charlie G; 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM.
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X