No announcement yet.

Bandit time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big thanks to Bill (chef1366) for doing the rebuild and jet kit/emulsion tube installation on the carbs, which go back on this weekend along with new manifolds. Bill told me that the carbs were a mess, which really makes me wonder how many folks have jet kits installed by shops that don't have good mechanics and whose bikes, as a result, never run the way they should.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Big thanks to Bill (chef1366) for doing the rebuild and jet kit/emulsion tube installation on the carbs, which go back on this weekend along with new manifolds. Bill told me that the carbs were a mess, which really makes me wonder how many folks have jet kits installed by shops that don't have good mechanics and whose bikes, as a result, never run the way they should.
      Bill did a set of stock carbs for me once and they preformed perfectly.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Bill did a set of stock carbs for me once and they preformed perfectly.
        He's such a great guy. I'm thrilled that we have access to someone who has done this kind of work so many times that he can spot issues many folks would just pass right by.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Carbs reinstalled, valves adjusted, carbs synch'd. Seems to run a bit fat at steady cruising between 2800 and 3500, so I may drop the mains from 155s to 150s, but holy smokes, does she run nicely otherwise. MUUUUCH smoother, better powerband through the gears, and great off-idle throttle response.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Quick question, Bandit gurus: Can any year B12 motor be swapped in for any other?
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Carbs reinstalled, valves adjusted, carbs synch'd. Seems to run a bit fat at steady cruising between 2800 and 3500, so I may drop the mains from 155s to 150s, but holy smokes, does she run nicely otherwise. MUUUUCH smoother, better powerband through the gears, and great off-idle throttle response.
              You would be better off lowering the needles a notch as they primarily control the mixture at throttle positions between 1/4 and 3/4 openings. The mains primarily affect 3/4- full throttle openings.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                You would be better off lowering the needles a notch as they primarily control the mixture at throttle positions between 1/4 and 3/4 openings. The mains primarily affect 3/4- full throttle openings.
                I'm thinking you're right. I installed the 150s and put the needles on the top notch, and now it's way too lean. So, leave the needles in that spot and put the 155s back in?
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm thinking you're right. I installed the 150s and put the needles on the top notch, and now it's way too lean. So, leave the needles in that spot and put the 155s back in?
                  Id go back to the 155 and only change the needle position. You can drive yourself crazy changing more than one thing at a time. lol
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                    Id go back to the 155 and only change the needle position. You can drive yourself crazy changing more than one thing at a time. lol
                    I'm getting good at that kind of crazy!
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      I have been talking to a guy that has a gsx1400...he imported...never sold in North America....thinking about it for a while now...

You can find them here in Sweden along with the naked GSX750.

i wouldn’t be able to decide between the GSX1400 and the XJR1300, they’re both great looking bikes.

Comment

82187FDE-267D-42EE-A565-6E7175DA55C7.jpg <———girlfriend

I have a 02’ GSF1200, it’s back in the United States sitting in my brother’s garage.

People thought it was an SV because of the silver frame and black tank but I actually bought that way. I’m pretty sure someone wrecked a silver Bandit in the front then replaced the forks, put a carbon fiber fender and a black tank, didn’t look too bad, never bothered to buy front turn signals.

anyways I don’t want to high-jack your thread so let’s get down to it. I put four K&n filters on mine and had a hell of a time trying to dial them in. Until I got a stage 3 jet kit with tapered needles it would never run right, I think it has 150s in the main, next step up slow jet, needle was one up from the last bottom setting-almost the highest position of the needle. I totally forgot the air and fuel mixture screw turns. Also, I bought one of the cheapest pipe and slip-on known to man, it was some Eastern European sounding name, but anyways it wouldn’t fit to the header. So technically it always ran rich when I had it. I never splurged on a decent pipe like a yoshi before I moved to Sweden.

Another big fiasco I had with that bike was the TPS sensor that I stupidly removed when I cleaned the carbs instead of just unplugging it.

Comment

Thanks, man. Is that a Dynojet kit? I'd have to see how those cross index with the Factory Pro C30 kit.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I honestly don’t remember, but yes I think it was dyno jet, I t’s been almost 7 years ago.

it was the first time I came across tapered needles, I didn’t even know they existed.

Comment

Working...
                            X