'81 GS750 Stripped-down Custom Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS750 Stripped-down Custom Build

I bought a 1981 GS750. I don’t know what sub model (E or L?). I’ve been trying not to blow up my social media with post about every little thing I do on it and figured I should start a build thread on here, and post links on my social media. That way, I can talk about the bike to people who care about it more than my friends…

I love vintage motorcycles and have wanted one since I was a teenager. Now I’m at the ripe old age of 30, have a family, just got back from a short deployment and figured I might as well pick up a new hobby. I love the look of café racers but a few of my needs contradict the genre: I need room for a passenger (wife/kid); I didn’t like the clip-on handlebar position when I tried them; I'm not trying to make a speed demon.

I do like the stripped-down, lighter weight, lower handlebar look and want to get the motor running smooth and efficient (and reliable). I’ve done some work on it already and will be uploading as I progress.

Let’s get some new life out of this old machine!

Hey there Blindsaint.
    A friend, and fellow member of the GSR, has that same bike. Not in quite as rough condition but he loves it as is. I can't (or won't) keep up with him on my 850. Yours, like his, is an "L" model.

Here's a shot of us in Madrid, NM.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Wouldn't it be a "T" since it is a 4 valve?
      I build Pipers

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/...b592dc4d_m.jpg

Comment

Just got back from vacation… A little more info on the bike:

I got it on CL for a few hundred dollars and figured that as long as the frame seemed to be in good shape and the engine turned over, that it may be just what I was looking for. It came with a 4:1 exhaust already on it. It turned over (granted, on a battery charger) and I threw caution to the wind and bought it. The guy had a few other vintage bikes and was trying to make more room to work on them. He hadn’t ridden this one since he bought it a couple years ago.

The bike was covered in red mud. Like, I’ve scrubbed it down twice and it still has a bunch of mud on it. The nice thing is, what looked rusty has almost always been mud and therefore, every time I clean it, it gets better and better!

I stripped most of the guards off as well as the rear fender. Some of these I will probably put back on, but for now, they are off and the bike looks a lot lighter already. I left the rear bar on because it made it easier to move around my garage but I’ve since taken that off too.

The carbs are on the work bench, awaiting a good cleaning, gaskets, and re-jet. I have K&N pods that I’m going to oil to restrict some of the air flow but I’ve ordered new jets in a couple sizes and hopefully one will work. Also, I’ve torn apart the electrical area to assess the wire situation. I’ve been working through an electrical problem with my Jeep and have come to the realization that component upgrades can take away a lot of headaches, so I’ll be upgrading/updating the R/R, battery, stator, and fuse block. I’m also going to make a tray for the electronics to sit under the seat.

Also, at the last minute, the guy who sold it to me through in a flat handlebar. I love the stance it gives and prefer it over the clip-ons. I think it’ll be turning a lot easier and I won’t be smashing my hands into the gas tank every time I turn…

Comment

Working...
        X