• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice machine work!
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Man!!! That thing couldn't be more beautiful! What a shame. I hope one day it reaches it's former glory. I guess you saw in my other pictures that I also ride an FZ!

Originally posted by isleoman
      Here a pic of the bike.

Full disclaimer. The bike was totaled in 2011 when a Chevy PU rear ended me. Slowly putting things back together.
      Unfortunately for the Suzuki I've been spending most of my time riding my Gen 1 FZ1 which just turned 242K on the ODO.

Comment

I would say you have no idea how much easier you just made this project for me.....but I think you know. I cant tell you how thankful I am that you posted this for me! I appreciate the hell out of it!!!!!

Here's the brake side.

Before polishing

Shift side mounting plate is two pices welded together, Brake side is one piece. Again note heli-coils

I liked the ZX12 assys because of the drilled heel guards. You can spend a lot of time getting those assys in the right position oo the mounting plates so that they are in the same position on both sides and a place that works and is comfortable. It does move them up and back over stock location. On my 83 frame I think I used a shorter Bandit swing arm pivot bolt that eliminated the need for the spacers. You could cut the stock oem bolt and re-thread it.

Comment

Finished milling the final through holes in my bushings this afternoon.

AND BAAAMMMM!!!!! SWINGARM MOUNTED RIGHT UP!!!!!

Comment

Very cool things going on in this thread. Thanks!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Timely for me too. I will be retro modding a 1100ES soon? I found Busa rear set assemblies are easy to find and generally straight. 6 pot brakes are tough to deal with. If your using ZRX calipers and care to change, the Nissins on modern Triumph's can be used and are very strong and are same bolt pattern. Using a 1/2 inch EX500 master cylinder will give better feel and stronger yet braking. I am having issue's getting my bushings to work properly for my B12 swingarm. For a fee, can you recreate some of your parts?

Isleoman, How did you mount up the oil cooler? Pics?
              Last edited by limeex2; 11-06-2018, 09:51 AM.
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I actually just walked up from my workshop. I am about half way done tearing down and cleaning a new/used set of 4 piston nissins that I will be using instead. I have had a busy few days. Talking to contractors about granite countertops, selling my jeep, and signing on a new tacoma has kept me busy.

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                Timely for me too. I will be retro modding a 1100ES soon? I found Busa rear set assemblies are easy to find and generally straight. 6 pot brakes are tough to deal with. If your using ZRX calipers and care to change, the Nissins on modern Triumph's can be used and are very strong and are same bolt pattern. Using a 1/2 inch EX500 master cylinder will give better feel and stronger yet braking. I am having issue's getting my bushings to work properly for my B12 swingarm. For a fee, can you recreate some of your parts?

Isleoman, How did you mount up the oil cooler? Pics?

Comment

Awesome thread! Both the bike and the thread presentation! Love all the photos in high definition. Makes reading the thread that much more enjoyable.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks! Sorry for stepping out of line. Link and pics worked. This will be fun to watch this GS take shape.
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Personally, I think that big beefy oil cooler looks bad ass.

NC, Trying not to thread jack but here is a link for Limex on oil cooler bracket. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...cooler+bracket

I wanted the lower shelves on the two L brackets to take the load of the cooler / oil and the rubber pads to reduce vibration. . Has worked well but certainly a clunky method. Had access to lots of materials and world class machinists and welders, when I was still working. Four long thin bolts hold the cooler to the bracket with two face strips of aluminum. If I were doing it again I'd look for a thinner cooler with and integrated attachment rail across top. The Earls does cool well. I can see the Pbucket photos in this old thread let me know if you can't see them.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                        Nice machine work!
                        Hmmm...shades of my old days, miti digi mic and what looks like a starret mic...I made rivets for 25yrs.
                        I went with a 95 gsxr front end for the length...think yours is the same. I'm building an 80 GS1000G with wire spoked wheels....someone has to

Comment

I am planning on making custom titanium spacers to account for the difference in length after removing the oem foot control bracket things.

I meant to tell you last week, but I am going to be making some killer handlebar riser blocks that slide over the fork tubes just like the oem clip ons did. These will be turning in and up to hold the bars, instead of out and down for clip ons.

NC, I was looking for something else and found this. The link involves my 83 frame but it doesn't make any difference. I used the Katman method of one top hat inside the other. My fabbed top hats were bronze I believe. Also note that a Katana swingarm mounting bolt is just the right length if you don't use the OEM rear set mounts.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ght=rear+wheel

Comment

Wrenched on the bike a little bit this evening. Removed the left and right foot control/passanger peg brackets, got the front sprocket off, and pulled the stator cover.

There are a few pictures below of the progress. Afterwards I just stood and stared at the wiring harness for about 15 minutes wondering how bad I am gonna be screwing myself by trying to fabricate a new minimalist harness with no idea what I am doing. Lol. Hey, I guess there is a first time for everything. Tomorrow I am going to put some heat on those phillips screws that are holding the stator in, and try to get that thing out of there. Also, there is a pic of the right side zx12r rearset that will be going on.

I pulled the trigger this weekend on a 92 gear 1100 front wheel, a 98 bandit rear wheel with rotor, cush drive, hub (which apparently I can't use), and sprocket, left side zx12r rearset, front and rear caliper rebuild kits, and a few other odds and ends. Pictures to come as it all arrives.

The 4 pot nissins were torn down and cleaned yesterday as well. Sitting on the bench ready for assembly.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who may know, does this look like the factory stator?

Comment

Paging posplayr for an "electrical" question...stator!

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                Paging posplayr for an "electrical" question...stator!

Ed
                                The stator looks like it is overheating and so it is doubtfully original although it does have a nice OEM build quality.

You should definitely be looking at a SH-775 or I would prefer Compufire Series R/R. It will stop you from cooking stators and will also lower your operating temperature. For a stock 1100 probably 10-15 degF.

Comment

Working...
                                X