No announcement yet.

Bringing a 78 GS 550 back to life. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres my top end all cleaned up and ready for install, i used the same VhT on the head..

good job with the progress, keep going ! I have lost time / motivation and I am living vicariously through you lol
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wangofree View Post
      Believe it or not this bike came with basically new tires (tyres ). The previous owner said the guy he bought it from put on new rubber. The guy I bought
      this bike from was a kid who started to rebuild it but gave up. The tires look new with plenty of tread, just need a bit of cleaning.
      Please check the date code on them. Tires have a shelf life and if they are more than 5 years old you are not only risking your life but everyone else around you
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Please check the date code on them. Tires have a shelf life and if they are more than 5 years old you are not only risking your life but everyone else around you
        Good advice CBUOQ. The date code on these tires is 06-05-2017, so I'm safe. (As well as those around me).

Comment

Looking good, I'm a little behind you.

Have you have experience with the VHT before? I used it on my C10 and it came right off when gas got on it, but I didn't put my engine block in the oven and bake it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jgm038 View Post
            Heres my top end all cleaned up and ready for install, i used the same VhT on the head..

good job with the progress, keep going ! I have lost time / motivation and I am living vicariously through you lol
            I'll try to live up to your expectations. I like the black on the bottom. Looks nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
              Looking good, I'm a little behind you.

Have you have experience with the VHT before? I used it on my C10 and it came right off when gas got on it, but I didn't put my engine block in the oven and bake it lol.
              Yeah I've used it before and it's good stuff if you can cure it with heat.

Comment

I finally got around to cleaning up the motor for paint. Man there are a TON of nooks and crannies that require scrubbing, but it turned out nice.

I've hit a snag with my newly arrived gasket set. Ordered an Athena kit and it showed up with a damaged head gasket. Had to send it back for a refund.
                Hopefully the replacement will be complete.

Oh well, it's a winter project and winter has just started.

Comment

Finally received a solid set of full gaskets. Time to pull the valves, clean them up and replace the valve seals.

My trusty (but butt ugly) valve spring compressor clamp is called into service.

The first intake valve and seat is a little grungy.

Pulling these old seals out is like pulling teeth. Clamp down on them and wiggle them out.

I have no trouble getting to the outside valves, but the valve spring clamp isn't able to clear the head, so I'm going to have to "MacGyver" something together to finish the job.

Comment

A cheap spark plug socket with a hole cut out along with a c-clamp worked for me

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      A cheap spark plug socket with a hole cut out along with a c-clamp worked for me
                      2 minds think alike cowboyup. . . .

8" HF clamp allowed me to get to all the valves. . .

More goodies came today. Got my All Balls Racing steering head bearings.

Grease 'em up. . .

Comment

Taking a break and starting to put things back together again. There's still a lot of cleaning and polishing to do,
                        but fun to see the motor reborn. . .

Time to check the valve shims. 6 out of 8 are in spec. Have to purchase some shims for the other 2 that are too loose.

Comment

Moving shims around I was able to bring clearances into a better spec range. Finally received a 0.02 mm - 1.00 mm feeler gauge.
                          I need a 2.65 & 2.85 set to bring everything to nirvana. After new shims are installed I'll button up the top and go back to cleaning and polishing.
                          I have to work on the front wheel assembly, then I'll be able to install the wheels, center stand and finally put the motor back in the frame.

Comment

If those are metric measurements then don't change 1 intake or exhaust as that is perfect. I would also get to the higher end on the rest of the valves. If you stay too close to the bottom end (.03) than you will have a greater risk of burning your valves in the long run.

Have you sent an email to Steve yet (username and real name) for his spreadsheet?
                            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 12-12-2018, 12:45 AM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Good advice cowboy. I would assume that at 0.03 mm the shim would wear after awhile and still be in the 0.03 - 0.08 range.

Speaking of shims, I received my 2 replacements and for $7.63 in shipping charges I was curious how they would be packaged. . .

And of course they need packing peanuts. . .

I would think a small padded envelope would have been sufficient and cheaper. But hey, why complain, they made it on time and in one piece.

Finished shining up the front shocks. There are currently no leaks and they seem responsive, so for now, no reason to rebuild them.

I'm glad I've got the valves adjusted and the head cover on. Once I've got the wheels rebuilt and mounted, then I'll be able to mount the engine.

Comment

Time to work on the front wheel. I think we can make it look a little better than this.

Like the back, had to pull the spokes and shine them up, then treat them with Shark Hide.

The hub is about as clean and shiny as it's going to get. Really like the patina left over on it.

Ah, now the joy of figuring out how to lace a wheel. Of course YouTube is a great help, and your own photos can't hurt.

Outside spokes are done, now for the inside. . .

45 minutes later all the spokes are on, ready for balancing and truing the wheel.

Took me about 6 hours from start to finish, with a couple of breaks in between.

Comment

Working...
                                X