No announcement yet.

Bringing a 78 GS 550 back to life. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the #13 is the gear indicator display. My 1978 GS750 has an LCD type display that changes numbers for different gears????? It is located on the bottom of the center lights under the neutral light, IIRC. Maybe the 550 is different???? I do not remember anything like what you have pictured in mine. My 750 display went bad and I bought one from China off of ebay for about $2 including shipping that I made work.
    Last edited by 1978GS750E; 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Yeah, that's probably it, just not listed on the parts list, either that unit - which I wouldn't think it would be - or any replacement bulbs.

Comment

If you look at the fiche on Babbittsonline.com there are at least 3 different gauge clusters for 78 GS550. It's probably # 17 on your image. But the nice thing about the parts list on babbitts and some other sites is they indicate how many of everything in the image your bike requires. So if you find "bulb" in the list and match it to how many you're counting since you have it all apart, you should get your answer.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 02-06-2019, 11:08 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          If you look at the fiche on Babbittonline.com there are at least 3 different gauge clusters for 78 GS550. It's probably # 17 on your image. But the nice thing about the parts list on babbitts and some other sites is they indicate how many of everything in the image your bike requires. So if you find "bulb" in the list and match it to how many you're counting since you have it all apart, you should get your answer.
          Thanks Rich, but #17 is the bigger bulb for the back lighting, oil, high beam, etc. It lists "9" bulbs. The shift indicator only has 6 bulbs. Thanks for looking. I ordered 3 from Radio Shack from earlier post.

Comment

Did you swap over a "good" bulb into the housing of the "bad" bulbs to make sure it wasn't a contact / wiring issue?
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Good thought hillsy. Yep I swapped a good bulb onto the #5 & 6 slot. Both sockets are good, they lit up. So the 2 bulbs have given up. Each burned out bulb is dark inside. I'm in no big hurry, but it's times like this when I wish we still had a local Radio Shack.

Comment

This morning I spent some time looking at the bike and making a list of what's left. I realized that I should probably seal the gas tank since
                I had to epoxy some pin holes on the outside before I derusted it. I've used POR 15 before with good success, but after reading Wingman's and Nessism's posts, I've decided to go with Caswell's epoxy. Look's like Amazon has it for $44 + $12 shipping. I'll look around for a better price.

Until the sealer shows up I've started prepping the cowl for priming. I still don't have the side covers I need. I'll look for those, and do the finish painting after I get the bike running.

I need to order some Suzuki OEM fuel hose, & vacuum hose. Electrically, the bike is ready, just need to work on the fuel side of things.
                Eventually I'll get the pipes down and see if I can clean and shine them up a bit.

Comment

The Caswell Epoxy tank sealer arrived today, one day earlier than expected! Woo Hoo!

The initial rust wasn't too bad in the tank, and if it didn't have some small pin holes I might have skipped sealing it.
                  From what I can see, it only has a bit of surface rust, but this sealer will remove any doubt.

Part A looks like Karo syrup. The viscosity wasn't as thick as I thought it would be. It was used at room temperature.

I sealed up the fuel petcock opening the night before to prevent leaks. I removed this to drain the excess epoxy out when it was time.

Once mixed, in it goes. . .

Sealed the filler with glad wrap and a rubber band, but being anal I covered that with painters tape.

Rotate every which way for 10 minutes and let it drain out. . .

It looks like a good 4 oz came back out from the 24 total ounces that went into it.

​All in all it was an easy process. I'm glad I used the entire amount of the epoxy. If I'd gone cheap and tried to get by with 1/2 a can I'm not sure I would have got as thorough a coverage.

Comment

Well the saga of replacing my shift indicator bulbs goes on. I received some bulbs from Radioshack, and I was hopeful. . .

It looked like the right size but I could see right away it was going to be difficult stripping the hard plastic off the leads. . .

No, make that impossible. . .

I gave up on those after ruining the 3 I purchased. I had a "duh" moment when I found 100 mini bulbs on ebay for less than $8. . .

They are just slightly larger but should work. . .

Well, low and behold they do work, BUT! There is an issue with the readout. . .

The issue is, the indicator isn't synced up right. 1st gear reads: "6", 2nd gear reads "5", 3rd gear does read "3", 4th gear reads "1", 5th gear reads "2", and 6th gear reads "4". I thought maybe I had the board in upside down, but there's no way to do that. There's also no way to put the 2 plugs together in the harness because of a slot. So, does this mean the sensor or the mechanical rotor is out of sync?

Comment

Turn the sensor 180 degrees?
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                        Turn the sensor 180 degrees?
                        Thanks Steve! I ran out of time today, but I'll give that a try tomorrow afternoon. I bought this sensor used, and the loom coming off of it seemed to favor the way I installed it. But I'll turn it around and see what happens.

Comment

The problem with the erratic gear indicator display turned out to be the sensor. It was installed correctly, but the wires were in totally different locations in the male plug compared to its' female plug companion. After lining up all the like wires it works like a charm.

Here's a side point I want to vent about. I ordered a complete air filter kit (filter and outer foam) online from a company whose name rhymes with "Rabbit's". I received an email 3 days later stating that this item was not only back ordered with them, but this was a "national back order" and I wouldn't find it anywhere else with a separate vendor. I did find it, and immediately cancelled my order. My frustration was that it took an hour on hold to get the order cancelled.

I'm peeved that they don't have a better inventory system. Why allow sometime to order an item that isn't in stock, and is on a major back order. Most people now have some type of "live" inventory control that prevents what I went through, albeit this is a 1st world problem, but the icing on the cake was the $19.95 shipping charge, and the $7.05 sales tax. (I know sales tax is required if you do business with certain locations). All in all this was a disappointing experience. I will look for other vendors before I deal with these people. Vent is over.

Comment

Factory Jet!?!

Well, I made one of the "newbie" mistakes. I eagerly stripped the carbs down and later realized that messing with the factory set jet is a big no no.
                            I didn't see that this jet was "painted shut" and gleefully took it out. Now am I royally screwed? Anyway to get it set back where it will function?
                            I've done a search and haven't found any thread on these VM22's or any other Mikuni setting. I can't be the first idiot to run into this? Thanks guys.

Comment

I don't know what search terms you're using, but there are dozens of posts about the pilot fuel screw. It is mentioned in the VM carb tutorial.

You are following the tutorial, right?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                                I don't know what search terms you're using, but there are dozens of posts about the pilot fuel screw. It is mentioned in the VM carb tutorial.

You are following the tutorial, right?
                                Hey BT, if not, I will now! So, this is the pilot fuel screw, that's good to know. Doing a search for VM Carb Tutorial I end up with this:

I'll have to do some more investigating.

Comment

Working...
                                X