No announcement yet.

Bringing a 78 GS 550 back to life. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read all 14 pages, looking awesome! Sorry to hear she still wont kick! I'm also in the middle of a rebuild, hopefully getting the motor in the frame tonight then on to wiring! Good luck with diagnosing the issue, i'm sure someone on here will chime in to help ya!

Comment

Thanks Track,
      I was able to start the bike, BUT I gave up on the original carbs. I tried to get them lined out, but they were pretty rough, and now just good for parts. I bit the bullet and bought a nice rebuilt set off fleabay. I don't like taking shortcuts and pride myself on making things work, but this just wasn't happening.

Here's the new set:

And here's the beaters. . .

Comment

Hi Wangofree. I like your attention to detail! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I see you're from Lawrence KS. I'm from the Wichita area but moved to MI a couple years ago for work. Hope you haven't blown away yet, heard there's been lots of heavy storm and tornadoes in SEK. Stay safe!
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Thanks 93B - No, haven't blown away yet, but glad I built a storm shelter in our garage. Man I feel for everyone living in Oklahoma. They've had it rough, plus Texas and Missouri.

The bike is coming along. I need to find a couple of side panel covers so I can paint them, the tank and rear cowl all at once. I'll post final pictures after that in a month.

Comment

I'm happy to say that I've been able to fire up the bike and ride it around the block a couple of times.

1978 Suzuki GS550 first start after refurbishing and rebuilding.

What's left is to purchase new front brake hoses, side panels, then paint the tank, rear cowl & side panels.

I am also missing a left hand grip. In dismantling the right hand grip I discovered that the throttle tube is broken:

Doing a search for a replacement for the GS550 I find a lot of talk about using a Yamaha R1 tube. No one specifically mentions doing this with the GS550. The only option from Bike Bandit and the ilk are universal tubes with no guarantee of fitment. I don't mind finagling a part, but would rather find a part that wouldn't require too much jury rigging.

So, setting myself up for the wrath of "don't you know how to use search on this forum!?" (yes I do), anyone have a suggestion or experience with a GS550 throttle tube replacement?

Thanks fellas.

Comment

I can't tell you much about alternatives, but the part number you are looking for is 57110-44011.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thank you Steve, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I appreciate it.

Comment

Buy a new one from your Suzuki dealer
                  They're cheap
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Wangofree View Post
                    I'm happy to say that I've been able to fire up the bike and ride it around the block a couple of times.

1978 Suzuki GS550 first start after refurbishing and rebuilding.

What's left is to purchase new front brake hoses, side panels, then paint the tank, rear cowl & side panels.

I am also missing a left hand grip. In dismantling the right hand grip I discovered that the throttle tube is broken:

Doing a search for a replacement for the GS550 I find a lot of talk about using a Yamaha R1 tube. No one specifically mentions doing this with the GS550. The only option from Bike Bandit and the ilk are universal tubes with no guarantee of fitment. I don't mind finagling a part, but would rather find a part that wouldn't require too much jury rigging.

So, setting myself up for the wrath of "don't you know how to use search on this forum!?" (yes I do), anyone have a suggestion or experience with a GS550 throttle tube replacement?

Thanks fellas.
                    I'm using a GS500 throttle tube on my 850. Some parts were re-used ad infinitum by Suzuki.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Grim.

Comment

Well, here it is 4 or 5 months later. The bike is running great, so now it's time for paint. . . first the primer, then "Black Cherry".

Comment

Well, this is it, "Black Cherry" is finally finished! (Yeah no project is ever "finished". I might opt for EI later). Being as old as she is I'll probably go with an antique tag, "GS550". I checked and this combination is still available.

The only regret I might have is that things didn't come together in late summer. I guess I'll just ride her when winter gives us a little reprieve.

Thanks to all you guys who pitched in with suggestions and opinions. I appreciate it.

Comment

Beautiful! Needs original engine cover emblems! Looks great regardless though!
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Congratulations! Bike looks great.
                              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks fellas.

Comment

Working...
                                X