GS1100 winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    They will bolt up, i put the electric pickup from an 81? 1000g on a 79 850 to get it to start once
    I might grab a whole setup on EBay just to see, they are way cheap.

Last night I messed around with the petcock, cut the head off the stuck bolt standing in the snowstorm in my driveway just in case of disaster lol. Then the nub was just spinning, it was an odd thing, the threads were peeled off the middle of the bolt, and it had a little turd on the very bottom preventing it from pulling through. It was weird, but now I have two tanks, or I will, whenever my new tank shows up from Guandong (real place lol).

I'm going to go out tonight and tear it down to the frame and motor. Decide what I'm going to do with the forks, trees, and frame.

Comment

And we're down to a engine/frame. Ever bearing surface looked like it had been lubed with salt and dirt, then left in a ditch lol. Going to run a compression test sometime this week and see what I come up with there.

Stripped to engine by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Found a little surprise while getting ready to run a compression test tomorrow lol. It was under the starter, like the starter had been installed on top of it, and was plugging the gearbox vent lol.

Starter Surprise by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Hey man, just out of curiosity, what are you going to do about forks? Rebuild yours, or try to buy some take offs in better shape?

Comment

Originally posted by NCCNC View Post
            Hey man, just out of curiosity, what are you going to do about forks? Rebuild yours, or try to buy some take offs in better shape?

I'm going to powdercoat them and rebuild them.

Comment

Tear down video started, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIMAimUrTWk

Comment

Did a compression test, made myself sad, powder coated covers, made myself happy!

Powder Coated cover. by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Thing's escalated...

Engine out by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Why awaiting my valve tool I went ahead and messed around with more powder on the side covers, ran out before I got the the valve cover.

20181120_174242 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

20181120_174242 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

20181120_185717 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

20181120_191019 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Kid I bought it from said number 3 ran cool, and I found low compression in 3 and 4,

2018112_182555 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

20181123_183449 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

20181123_184151 by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Got the shock mounts roughed in,

Preparing the Preppercycle for new shock mounts from Dime City Cycles.

Comment

We're working on the same model... Keep going

I have a full set of front brakes (rebuilt fairly recently) up for grabs if you're interested - may save you/be cheaper than rebuilding yours.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            We're working on the same model... Keep going

I have a full set of front brakes (rebuilt fairly recently) up for grabs if you're interested - may save you/be cheaper than rebuilding yours.
                            I'm in deep enough now, that there's only one way out without listening to my wife complain lol.

I will bear that in mind, I'm saving the brakes/forks and whatever I do there for the reassembly phase, which probably won't start until after the first of the year.

Comment

Steadily cleaning things, looks like I'm in good shape for a simple hone and rings on the top end, need new valves also.

Engine stripped by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

POwder Coated oil pan by Marvin Gunn, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X