New project already not going well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project already not going well.

This weekend I made two trades to end up with what in thought would be an awesome project. A 1985 GS1150ES! A bit rough around the edges, tail section bent to the right a bit, but she’s all there and even after sitting for 3 years fired right up with a jump. Now the bad. Dude swore up and down that it had been non-oped. No such luck. CA DMV wants $723 to bring it current. I’ve trying to find a solid GS to build for quite a few years. Every time a do, something goes way wrong.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David95DE6E32-8CE4-491F-8010-56510102AFF2.jpg

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
    This weekend I made two trades to end up with what in thought would be an awesome project. A 1985 GS1150ES! A bit rough around the edges, tail section bent to the right a bit, but she’s all there and even after sitting for 3 years fired right up with a jump. Now the bad. Dude swore up and down that it had been non-oped. No such luck. CA DMV wants $723 to bring it current. I’ve trying to find a solid GS to build for quite a few years. Every time a do, something goes way wrong.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David[ATTACH=CONFIG]57039[/ATTACH]
    Yeah, get a BOS and move to Georgia. They don't issue titles for old bikes and you don't need one to resister it, just a bill of sale.

So if your not willing to move across the country I see three options. Go ahead an fix it up and trailer it to shows and the track, look for a titled frame and fix it up or part it out.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Sell it to someone on Oregon
      Titling is about $150
      Buy it back
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David[ATTACH=CONFIG]57039[/ATTACH]
        It's been quite a few years ago when someone here posted the same problem of buying a bike in our fair state and didn't know it had back fees. He put some effort in researching the law and found that the state can't hold you liable for back fees you knew nothing of and were told there was a Non-Op filed by the P.O. He was suscessful in getting it registered. This what he said and I don't know if it really went down like that, might be worth the effort. I find politeness, being prepared as much as you can and pleading ignorance goes along way at DMV, especially in a small town. There two DMV offices in my county, 40 miles a part and "some around here" go to the other office because they are less busy or more helpful. I've always great success in my town. Know anyone in Nevada who can register the bike there and then transfer it back in the California at a later date? If you got it cheap....might be worth paying the fees. If you give up and want to sell it cheap, I or a friend may be interested in it for parts as we both have projects it would suit. Good luck.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Look for a nonop 1150 frame.

See if Chef1366 might have one.

Comment

Two words.... DRAG BIKE!!! or HILL CLIMBER!!! whatever you prefer. 😀
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I believe there is some provision to get out of the back fees but success varies. Sometimes you need to hit up the DMV and try to find someone in a good mood. If you strike out you can try another day.

Hope it works out.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Those are all great ideas. Well all except moving to Georgia. I’m going to leave it open ended and stop bellyaching. I don’t have the cash to try and settle up with DMV yet, but if I get it before someone else comes along with a good offer I’ll take a shot. Parting it would make some good coin, but I wouldn’t feel right.
                Thanks guys.

I’ll keep you posted.

David

Comment

Now the bad. Dude swore up and down that it had been non-oped. No such luck. CA DMV wants $723 to bring it current.
                  For those of us who don't have the same level of gestapo in our vehicle registration systems, can someone explain 'non-oped'?

Thanks,
                  Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    For those of us who don't have the same level of gestapo in our vehicle registration systems, can someone explain 'non-oped'?

Thanks,
                    Mark
                    Non-operational: Annual fees are due to keep a vehicle registered to drive on the road. I would think Alberta would have that as well. It used to be that if your car/mc was broken down and the registration expired and you didn't pay the registeration it wa no big deal. You just go down to DMV when you had it running again, pay the fees and sign a form (non-oped) that it wasn't on the road and where it was stored. It could be an indeffinate amount of time and all you had to pay was the current years, not past years. This was abused badly. (Not me !) The system was revised so that you had to file the non-oped form before the current registration expired to avoid penaltiies. Penalties get quite steep after a couple of months of being late. I believe there is a $10 fee to file a non-op, but no fee to maintain it over the years. When you re-register, you pay only the current year. After a year with no non-opp, it might be 3 time the yearly reg fees, say $375. 2 years maybe $750. Most people learn this at an early age, pay their fees on time or file a non-opp.
                    Last edited by Charlie G; 01-05-2019, 02:10 PM.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

Thanks,
                      Mark
                      I liven in CA most of my life (1969-2013 except 5 years of college), and I still can not figure it out. The liberal government is very active looking for any basis to extract cash.

I once let my motorhome insurance lapse because I have not used it in several years. I coupled this with the scandalous act of paying full registration instead of letting the Gestapo(DMV) let them know I was really in-situ non-opping. I ended up with a $50 or so state lien against my pay-check at work! (they really have time and money to do this??) This was because the Motorhome has to have insurance if it has registration even though it never left my property (driveway). Normally insurance is required to drive in California on the public roadway they take it to mean be having registration whether you are using it or not. The motorhome could have been out-of-state and they would have still issued the liens. They want to know how you got it out of state if it was non-opt and that is illegal also to not let them know!
                      I'm still using my 805 area code phone number on my cell since moving to AZ. I am on a Verizon month to month cell phone plan. for $40 unlimited. I have to pay another $7 per month because CA thinks they own this number and it is CA related although I have not filed taxes in CA since 2013.

I did not file taxes in CA for 2013 because I did not owe them anything. They sent me a tax bill based on 1098 from the bank that interest had been paid on the home mortgage (they figure you are paying the mortgage you have income) . I finally file the tax return showing they owe me money. They send me back a tax bill saying I owe them penalties for late payment on taxes they assumed I owed but that I never owed!

gestapo is not far off the mark

I don't know about other states, but there seems to be a definite second-class status to anybody that rides a motorcycle in the state.

I got ran off the road by a Forest Service Truck on a narrow road. The cop said it was nobodies fault. My insurance says that I lost control of my motorcycle and I can't claim that I had an accident to avoid an accident (the accident I was trying to avoid was going into his windshield at 60 mph closing speed). A few months later after recovery, I go back to find they had cut back the vegetation 20+ feet on the blind curve.

Chef1366 has his own stories.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 01-05-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I liven in CA most of my life (1969-2013 except 5 years of college), and I still can not figure it out. The liberal government is very active looking for any basis to extract cash.

I once let my motorhome insurance lapse because I have not used it in several years. I coupled this with the scandalous act of paying full registration instead of letting the Gestapo(DMV) let them know I was really in-situ non-opping. I ended up with a $50 or so state lien against my pay-check at work! (they really have time and money to do this??) This was because the Motorhome has to have insurance if it has registration even though it never left my property (driveway). Normally insurance is required to drive in California on the public roadway they take it to mean be having registration whether you are using it or not. The motorhome could have been out-of-state and they would have still issued the liens. They want to know how you got it out of state if it was non-opt and that is illegal also to not let them know!
                        I'm still using my 805 area code phone number on my cell since moving to AZ. I am on a Verizon month to month cell phone plan. for $40 unlimited. I have to pay another $7 per month because CA thinks they own this number and it is CA related although I have not filed taxes in CA since 2013.

I did not file taxes in CA for 2013 because I did not owe them anything. They sent me a tax bill based on 1098 from the bank that interest had been paid on the home mortgage (they figure you are paying the mortgage you have income) . I finally file the tax return showing they owe me money. They send me back a tax bill saying I owe them penalties for late payment on taxes they assumed I owed but that I never owed!

I don't know about other states, but there seems to be a definite second-class status to anybody that rides a motorcycle in the state.

I got ran off the road by a Forest Service Truck on a narrow road. The cop said it was nobodies fault. My insurance says that I lost control of my motorcycle and I can't claim that I had an accident to avoid an accident (the accident I was trying to avoid was going into his windshield at 60 mph closing speed). A few months later after recovery, I go back to find they had cut back the vegetation 20+ feet on the blind curve.

Chef1366 has his own stories.
                        Like I said, "Most people learn this at an early age, pay their fees on time or file a non-opp." Oh yes, in North Carolina when I was a kid, if you let your insurance expire the County Sheriff would come and collect your plates. So much for Liberal Goverments.....
                        Last edited by Charlie G; 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          Like I said, "Most people learn this at an early age, pay their fees on time or file a non-opp." Oh yes, in North Carolina when I was a kid, if you let your insurance expire the County Sheriff would come and collect your plates. So much for Liberal Goverments.....
                          Full Fees (not non-op) were paid but the county sheriff did not come by, they just put a lien on my pay-check.

Comment

gestapo is not far off the mark.
                            There was a guy years ago that filed his tax return and under income he put " None of your damn business ! " . Revenue Kanada took him to court for filing a false return. They lost. The judge said it was a perfectly legal tax return and if they wanted their money they could audit him.
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              Non-operational: Annual fees are due to keep a vehicle registered to drive on the road. I would think Alberta would have that as well. It used to be that if your car/mc was broken down and the registration expired and you didn't pay the registeration it wa no big deal. You just go down to DMV when you had it running again, pay the fees and sign a form (non-oped) that it wasn't on the road and where it was stored.
                              Yes, we have registration fees to get a license plate and operate a motor vehicle on public roads. None of the rest applies here, though. If I don't use a vehicle for a period I simply let the existing registration expire and then register it again when I start using it again. My 1100E sat for the better part of 8 years without being registered and when I put it back on the road I simply paid the registration for the current year and it was good to go again, on the same plate it had from 8 years previous. No declarations, no extra fees, nothing. No smog checks, either.

It's the same for everything related to government. Nothing they force on us is voluntary, it is always coerced at the point of a gun.

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              There was a guy years ago that filed his tax return and under income he put " None of your damn business ! " . Revenue Kanada took him to court for filing a false return. They lost. The judge said it was a perfectly legal tax return and if they wanted their money they could audit him.
                              Nice, I admire his efforts to make their lives more difficult. If everyone had this attitude we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X