Its in a bad way. GS1100G 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its in a bad way. GS1100G 1982

Not run for about 17 years. Going to keep me busy this one. Everything is trash, tank roached, clocks broken, seat gone, exhaust rusted, wiring shot, carbs gummed up, gearbox stiff. Happy days !
    Attached Files

You are a brave soul. Welcome to GSR!
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I think the word you are looking for is stupid
      Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

You are a brave soul. Welcome to GSR!

Comment

That rusted frame would be a deal-breaker for me. Can't you find a better starting point?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome!

Lots of work coming your way. Those photos make me appreciate the condition my "T" was in when I bought her in 2012.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Parts bike.
            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Yes, welcome to the GSR.

I'm restoring one of these and I run another one as my regular bike. I'm in the UK in Kent if you ever need some words of encouragement. I know these bikes pretty well now.

There is a link in my signature below, that will take you to my GS1100G restoration blog. You will see how far I haven't got in six years - although I did make some progress in the last few weeks?

There is also a link to the UK GS Owner Facebook Group, which is good place for getting recommendations for refurbing work like vapour blasters and powder coaters.

Mine started off looking like this:

Expect to spend some ££££s

Greetings

Richard
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

First and foremost, welcome! Please take my comment as just trying to be helpful. My parts bike looks brand new compared to that. I wouldn't even buy it for parts. If someone offered to give it to me, I'd have to think about it a long time. After all that thinking, I'd probably say no thanks unless I had a massive amount of unused storage space. Find something else to bring back to life. You're going to spend a TON of time and more money than you'll want to admit to when it's all said and done. I have some past experience with restoring things that should have been kept for parts only. Trust me on this one. Find a better candidate. You're about to be buried in this bike.

Comment

Thanks for all the wise words people. My head said walk away, but my heart said buy it! I did do another GS1100G about 3 years ago when i lived in Oz, but the bike was in much better condition and a runner. I Cafe'd that one, but am thinking about doing a scrambler style. It was too far gone for a restoration so apologies now to all the purists.
                  An old pic of my first GS.

Comment

Looks good! I'm not against cafe or other builds it they're done tastefully. When searching craigslist, cafe bikes tend to be something that just got butchered by someone that thinks they're a designer. Good luck on your project. Post lots of pics!

Comment

Working...
                    X