Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 GSX 750 EF down under

Hi all,

Not really a restoration, just a freshen up, but for me I may as well be building the pyramids.
    After buying an '84 GSX750EF last year, I've finally got time to put some work in and get it on the road. I don't really know what I'm doing so this place is a massive help - I would never have tried rebuilding carbs without an experienced friend looking over my shoulder, yet here I am pulling them apart and really enjoying it thanks to all the resources here and on related websites. So a huge thank you to all of you who put time and effort into helping complete strangers out!

When I got the bike, it started and ran fine - I rode it for about 20 mins and all seemed functional, but I've previously only ridden single-cylinder offroad and adventure bikes, so I wouldn't have noticed any minor jetting issues and the like. So I'm hoping that with some attention to all the key areas highlighted on GSR that it will be good to go once I'm done. There is a yearly bike event at Easter that I'm hoping to get the bike to and ride on the track (it's untimed and non-competitive, just a way to get old bikes out and about). It's good to have a deadline to work to, even if I fail. I'm a pretty slow and steady worker with this stuff.

20180430_141243_HDR.jpg

This is my to do list:
    Rebuild carbs - halfway there (all fresh seals & o-rings waiting) - I have some questions about this below...
    Clean up surface rust on frame and touch up paint - pretty much done except for a sand and another coat on the visible portions of the frame.
    Install s/s braided brake lines and disconnect anti-dive
    Check/adjust valve clearances
    Test electricals -this I really have no idea and am a bit hesitant, even after reading through pages and pages of stuff on here
    New exhaust - I had tried repairing the stock system but it's too far gone - have a Marving system on the way (woops, there goes the budget!)

Once the budget recovers from the exhaust, I'll get new springs and the fork legs could do with some attention.

Anyway, I've dismantled the BS32 CV carbs and found the following jetting. The stock jetting is in brackets.
    Pilot jet 40 (stock 37.5)
    Pilot air jet 155 (165)
    Main jet 120 (117.5)
    Needle jet Y-7 (Y-6)

Note, these stock jetting figures are from the only manual I've found, which is for a 1983 GSX750E & ES. Presumably these should be the same for my '84 EF as all else seems identical on the bike - can anyone out there clarify this?

The carbs have clearly been taken apart before as not only is there anti-seize on some bolts and wear on the screw slots in the jets, there were also 2 out of 4 and 3 out of 4 pilot jet o-rings and washers missing completely! Easy thing to lose I suppose!

So my question is, assuming my stock jetting figures are correct, why has the bike been tuned richer than stock when it is completely stock? And is this possibly gonna be in my favour when I put the new and presumably freer-flowing exhaust system on? Should I make changes at the air end, like leaving the airbox lid off as I've seen someone mention?

When I had it running briefly, all electricals seemed to work as they should. I've seen plenty written here. Is it worth installing a series R/R as a preventative measure? Of course I'll work through testing and cleaning connections, but curious if I can avoid some heart ache with a simple job.

I'll keep posting updates and include more pics once I can get back on my computer and work out image hosting.
    I can't wait to ride this thing
    1984 GSX750EF
    2000 KTM 200 exc
    2004 KLR 650
    1992 XR600R

Jetting is the same as '83. With the stock airbox on, it should run fine with the aftermarket pipe. I've had a yoshimura on mine since '84.
    Last edited by kingofvenus; 01-29-2019, 05:02 PM.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

And yes on the series r/r.

Comment

Thanks!
        So a previous owner has jetted it richer for some reason... Well I'll run it how it is and see I suppose.

It's stinking hot today, so probably only manage an hour or two in the shed. Finish up the painting on the frame and then maybe I'll go shopping for some tools I need.

That's a lovely looking ES, King
        1984 GSX750EF
        2000 KTM 200 exc
        2004 KLR 650
        1992 XR600R

Comment

Thanks. One of these days i'll have to set up a account with a new photo hosting site (not photobucket) and post up some new pics. It doesn't look like that anymore. The only pieces that are original are the frame, fuel tank and the bodywork, and the seat. Has a short stroke gsxr750 ('88-'89) motor, and its pewter gray/dark grey. Has a 180/17 Shinko drag radial on the rear, because i e.t. bracket drag race it.

Comment

BTW it's -20 degrees F here. So cold that i won't have to go to work tonight....

Comment

Only had a few hours to dip one set of carb body and float this weekend, but the Yamalube carb dip did a pretty good job. Only problem is there's not that much in a bottle to do more than one carb at a time. Should get em all done next weekend.

Didn't have much time because I went on a road trip to buy this:

Had one when I lived in the States for a year and always wanted to get one and this came up at a good price. Lovely sounding beast.

But back on topic...
              Frame looks decent for a brushed on touch up job. Don't have any before pics so you'll have to trust me it was spotted with surface rust, especially the front.

1984 GSX750EF
              2000 KTM 200 exc
              2004 KLR 650
              1992 XR600R

Comment

Welcome along, always good to see another Aussie join!

The EF's are nice bikes for sure, should see you well when all done up. That Yamalube carb cleaner is good stuff too, have used it myself with great success.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Pete.

Been following your Katana build thread, can't wait to see it all together, you're doing a great job. My best mate's dream bike is a Katana and I'm pushing him to save up and get one (mainly so I can take it for a spin!)
                  1984 GSX750EF
                  2000 KTM 200 exc
                  2004 KLR 650
                  1992 XR600R

Comment

Cheers mate, keep pushing him, they're fun bikes to ride
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finally back GSX work. I had a 2 week off road adventure in Tasmania so prepping for that took all my time.

Got back to rebuilding the carbs - those tiny holes in the float bowl were clogged in 3 out of 4 and took ages of poking around with wire and carb spray to clear. Almost ready to put them back together and move on to other jobs, but a quick question. Why does one of my carb bodies have much worse white oxidisation on it than the others after dipping? And is there an easy way to clean it up a little?
                      I tried vinegar as per someone's suggestion, but no luck. I'm not that fussed about appearance because you can't really see the carbs on the bike, but it's annoying that one is quite bad - it wasn't this bad to start with. For the record, I used Yamalube carb dip.

Bottom left in the pic, carb #4

Any suggestions?
                      1984 GSX750EF
                      2000 KTM 200 exc
                      2004 KLR 650
                      1992 XR600R

Comment

Looks like that one is an outside carb. Might have been exposed to the elements more than the others and have a rougher surface as a result.

After cleaning in an Ultrasonic (use one if you can) I boil mine up on the stove with a little lemon juice or lemon washing up liquid just to get all the impurities out of the pores of the metal.

Then as soon as you take them out, shake the excess water off and spray the outsides with WD40 and wipe down.

Or have them vapour blasted for the ultimate finish.

Last edited by londonboards; 03-30-2019, 07:29 AM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

This is really helpful:

https://thexscafedotcom.files.wordpr...d_tutorial.pdf
                          Richard
                          sigpic
                          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks mate. Yeah it is an outside carb.

I've been following that PDF guide all along, so helpful to have it spelled out!
                            All the passages are clear, fresh o-rings are here, just putting them back together. I ended up using some oven cleaner to tidy up the bulk of the oxidisation on the outside carbs. It's good enough for where it sits under the body work, but nowhere near as shiny as yours!
                            1984 GSX750EF
                            2000 KTM 200 exc
                            2004 KLR 650
                            1992 XR600R

Comment

Can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted here. The GSX sat lonely and unloved for a while, I had a couple of exhibitions last year that took up a lot of my time and I got off track with the old Suzi between that and doing some work on the other bikes.

Anyway I'm back on it now. I've given myself the deadline of Easter to get it on the track (non-competitively) at the Broadford Bike Bonanza.
                              Carbs are rebuilt and bench-synced. A mate with a vacuum tool will help me sync em properly when I'm ready. Valves are adjusted and the two exhaust bolts that had seized and snapped have been drilled out and helicoiled.

I have a SH775 from Nessism (thanks mate!) and just picked up the Triumph harness that's supposed to plug right in.

Front brakes are all rebuilt with stainless lines and a fresh lick of paint. Working on the rear brakes but the master cylinder is pretty rough.
                              Does anyone out there know of a bolt-on rear master cylinder replacement from a newer bike? I see a lot of GSXRs use the same rebuild kit which suggests the internals are the same, but not sure if they'd bolt on.

Otherwise not a huge amount left to do. I'll try to post some pics soon.
                              1984 GSX750EF
                              2000 KTM 200 exc
                              2004 KLR 650
                              1992 XR600R

Comment

Working...
                              X