'81 GS850G Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS850G Restoration

Hello folks. I've finally decided to do something with the '81 GS I bought a few months back. I got it for a song, and originally planned on using parts from it to get my 83 running, then eventually do a restoration of the '81. Well after digging into the bike a bit, I discovered that the overall cosmetic and electrical condition is pretty rough. It shows 44,000 miles on the odometer and I believe many of those were hard ones. That being said, I don't know the mechanical condition yet as it was non-running when I bought it. I pulled the starter and a few other parts from it to get my '83 running so I never had the chance to see if it would run. All that to say plans of restoring it to its original glory are gone. It would cost too much and quite frankly I don't want to do that.

Which is what brings me to this build thread. As I'm sure you've figured out by now, I plan on building a cafe racer styled bike from my '81. Below is a bike I found online which captures what I want to achieve for the most part (Credit to the builder, Mr. Swallow Customs). I like the look of this bike and want to build something very similar to it. I plan on a slightly different color scheme.

Suzuki-GS850-Cafe-Racer.jpg

Anyways, here's a list of things I need to do, not necessarily in order. It is not an exhaustive list at all, but it's a start.
    - Complete tear down, to frame
    - Deep clean all parts (Frame, engine, tank etc...)
    - Paint engine
    - Powder coat OR paint frame & swing arm (maybe some other small parts)
    - Paint tank
    - Paint wheels
    - Rebuild carbs
    - Rebuild starter
    - Make sure it runs
    - New exhaust (undecided 4-2, 4-1, open header)
    - Rebuild brakes (MC, calipers)
    - New brake lines
    - Remove necessary wiring
    - Rewire basics
    - Mount headlight/brake light/indicators
    - New handle bars
    - New seat
    - ????

I don't have a timeline for this build because I want to take my time. I doubt this will be finished in a years time, but then again maybe it will? I'm sure I will need assistance along the way so I will be calling on you experts to help me out!

I will be sure to document as much of my progress as possible. Pictures of the bike and what I completed today to follow! Stay tuned...
    Restore to its former cruiser glory and keep GSR Proud!
    100.00%
    Continue the Cafe Racer build.
    0.00%
    Last edited by 93Bandit; 05-26-2019, 10:14 AM. Reason: Title change
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

So here are a few pictures of the bike when I bought it and the condition it was in.

- 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Once I got it home...

20181109_170157.jpg

Comment

I started stripping the bike down today. I got the front fairing, saddle bags and trunk removed, along with all the brackets. Also started removing some the of hacked wiring from the fairing install... Whoever did that needs to be castrated. They did a terrible job of wiring... Anyways, I need to dig into the wiring harness to find out what I need to keep to reference when I build my new harness, and what I can remove. The next few garage sessions will likely be more disassembly. Here is how she sits in my garage as of this evening. Very dirty and in need of some TLC for sure!
        20190317_182455.jpg

Note: For some reason I can only upload one picture per post. Does this have something to do with my post count?

Also, if anyone is interested in some parts, I'd probably be willing to let some go for a deal. The fairing, trunk and saddle bags are rough, but would probably clean up alright. They definitely would not look good on a show bike, but they're decent from afar and still functional. Let me know if anyone is interested. I can send pictures upon request.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
          Note: For some reason I can only upload one picture per post. Does this have something to do with my post count?
          Nope.

Even with my post count, the limit of attached pictures is exactly ONE.

However, if you host them somewhere, you can copy and paste the links of up to TEN pictures per post.

Many of us used to use Photobucket, until they appeared to change the "b" in the middle to an "f".

Some use imgur or other similar places, have not bothered to keep track.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lookin' good!

Unbelievable transformation. Very nice work, man!

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Uh, ... Roger, ... that is his DREAM picture, what he wants his to look like.

Below is a bike I found online which captures what I want to achieve for the most part (Credit to the builder, Mr. Swallow Customs). I like the look of this bike and want to build something very similar to it. I plan on a slightly different color scheme.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Nope.

Even with my post count, the limit of attached pictures is exactly ONE.

However, if you host them somewhere, you can copy and paste the links of up to TEN pictures per post.

Many of us used to use Photobucket, until they appeared to change the "b" in the middle to an "f".

Some use imgur or other similar places, have not bothered to keep track.

Interesting... I tried using my photobucket but I got the same message, limit of one per post... I'll have to try imgur.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                Lookin' good!

Unbelievable transformation. Very nice work, man!

Well I am honored that you thought that is my bike, before and after, but the pictured cafe bike is my inspiration! I cannot take credit for that build. It was built by Mr. Swallow Customs as mentioned in my original post. I hope mine turns out as clean as his though!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Uh, ... Roger, ... that is his DREAM picture, what he wants his to look like.

Ha, my bad. That's embarrassing as I obviously didn't read much, just looked at the pics.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Ha, my bad. That's embarrassing as I obviously didn't read much, just looked at the pics.
                    It's OK, I can be quite winded at times... lol

Comment

That's a good looking build for sure, I've always liked the look of a bike that appears to be missing a few parts in order to run. Give me a kicker and magneto any day! No, I don't WANT to kick it all that bad, it's the look I'm after.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                        That's a good looking build for sure, I've always liked the look of a bike that appears to be missing a few parts in order to run. Give me a kicker and magneto any day! No, I don't WANT to kick it all that bad, it's the look I'm after.
                        I'm keeping it electric start. It's an 81 so it doesn't have kick start anyways. I don't know if it could even be converted???

So help me out gentlemen. The handlebar controls plastic housings are badly dry rotted and the switches don't feel very good so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I've been looking online for either parts to rebuild them (if you even can?) or aftermarket complete assembly options. Has anyone here had to replace the control assemblies? Or had success reconditioning them? Any recommendations are appreciated. I will post some pictures later to give you guys an idea of the condition.

Thanks!

Comment

Have a serious look at later model GS500 switchgear, as much of it is far newer and has a long time to go before it wears out.
                          Plus, it's still Suzuki, fwiw. I'm using Yamaha LH switch, Yamaha brake master cylinder and lever, GS500 throttle tube on the bars, and when the RH switch pegs out I'll probably replace it with a GS500 assembly. Of course, you couldn't be so lucky as it would be a straight plug-in affair, so be prepared to adapt and convert as needed.
                          The other GS and the XS have a Honda Deauville master cylinder/lever which is a major improvement on both bikes. The XS also has a Deauville clutch perch and lever, again an improvement.
                          I'm not fussy about originality, as you can see. I pick and choose parts which are easily fitted and improve the feel, also got several years wear left in them.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            Have a serious look at later model GS500 switchgear, as much of it is far newer and has a long time to go before it wears out.
                            Plus, it's still Suzuki, fwiw. I'm using Yamaha LH switch, Yamaha brake master cylinder and lever, GS500 throttle tube on the bars, and when the RH switch pegs out I'll probably replace it with a GS500 assembly. Of course, you couldn't be so lucky as it would be a straight plug-in affair, so be prepared to adapt and convert as needed.
                            The other GS and the XS have a Honda Deauville master cylinder/lever which is a major improvement on both bikes. The XS also has a Deauville clutch perch and lever, again an improvement.
                            I'm not fussy about originality, as you can see. I pick and choose parts which are easily fitted and improve the feel, also got several years wear left in them.
                            Thanks for the tips! As far as plug-n-play, I understand not all switches will be the same, however wouldn't it be as simple as just splicing the correct wires for the "new" switches??? I can do that, wiring is no big deal.

Also, I'm picky about originality when it's appropriate. I'd like to keep my 83 as original as possible. However on a cafe racer, its being modified anyways so I want it to function and look right. Doesn't need to be all original parts.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! As far as plug-n-play, I understand not all switches will be the same, however wouldn't it be as simple as just splicing the correct wires for the "new" switches??? I can do that, wiring is no big deal.

Also, I'm picky about originality when it's appropriate. I'd like to keep my 83 as original as possible. However on a cafe racer, its being modified anyways so I want it to function and look right. Doesn't need to be all original parts.
                              Try Dime City Cycles. https://www.dimecitycycles.com/motor...-switches.html
                              :cool:GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                              X