82 GSX750ET GS750EX rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GSX750ET GS750EX rebuild

I've spent a fair bit of time trawling over pictures here so about time I put some up.

I use to ride a GSX1100ET back in my youth, the Police suggested that I get rid of it, I've had an empty spot ever since.

2014 I picked up a nice GSX1400 to fill the void, it's a great bike but I was still missing the old stuff, 18 Months ago I found a GSX750ET complete.

Rick.

20180104_165558.jpg
    Last edited by Rickta; 03-22-2019, 06:11 AM.

12 Months sitting under a tarp has done the old girl no favours, the pictures make it look a lot nicer than it really was.

20180104_164733.jpg
    Last edited by Rickta; 03-22-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

A quick water blast.

20180524_154749.jpg
      Last edited by Rickta; 03-22-2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I tried cleaning the frame with a wire brushing, spraying it with Hammerite smooth Black as I went - this paint comes very close to modern Suzuki frame paint. I painted the engine in situ with VHT engine enamel, it all seemed like a good idea at the time until I came to painting the frame next to the engine, I did a pretty good job masking but I couldn't get in close enough with the engine there so I pulled out the engine and sprayed the rest of the frame - in hind sight that was the way to go.

20180628_210046.jpg
        Last edited by Rickta; 03-22-2019, 06:02 AM.

Comment

I picked up a GSX1100ET swingarm, machined up some bronze bushes and gave the Marzocchis a freshen up.
          20190113_194316.jpg

Comment

I picked up some NOS GSX1100 wheels, masked them up and a quick spray with Hammerite smooth Gold.

DSC_1885.jpg

Comment

The rear.
              DSC_1886.jpg

Comment

I'm not quite sure where this project is going, I saw a good looking single seat GSX1100 online down in Sydney, I'm not too attached to the 750 frame so with the OK from my Bike mechanic I've started to Solo it.

20190118_133510.jpg

Comment

I've got a friend who is handy with a Tig so I expect I'll clean the frame up and make it look fairly original, I have to take another 10mm out before the side cover is going to align with the original tail cone.

I was planning on cutting the seat pan and Tig'n the two pieces together of panel beating the seat pan into a solo seat pan - I would be happy to hear if any one has been down this path or any good ideas?

Cheers Rick.

20190120_195005.jpg

Comment

I had some spare GSX1400 bits lying around so fitting the 4-1 header with a Yoshi pipe seemed like a good idea, I had to make alloy spacers to get the pipes to fit, I thought I was a legend until I fitted them up and they hang too low. Scrap that plan, I'll still try and use the tail pipe on an original 4-1.

DSC_1888.jpg

Comment

Wow!

You're a busy wrench-turner! Thanks for all these updates.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        Wow!

You're a busy wrench-turner! Thanks for all these updates.

Ed
                        Thanks Ed,
                        I'm not as busy as I'd like to be but I should get there in the end.
                        Cheers,
                        Rick

Comment

I am doing a solo seat '82 GS750E. I ended up taking 5" out by cutting about 6" behind the shock mounts then welding the rear subframe on top of the existing frame with 5" overlap. This gives clearance for the rear/inner fender. and license plate. I made a seat pan out of wood and foam, covered with vinyl. I also raised the back of the tank 1" and moved the side cover mounts up so that when done, all logos/stripes will align (as standard, everything slopes down towards the middle of the bike).

20190323_164829.jpg
                          Last edited by DucatiDave; 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Here is my mockup prior to teardown for paint:
                            '82 GS750.jpg

Comment

You're a champion Dave,
                              I wouldn't have thought to do it the way that you have, your end result before paint looks pretty good.

It looks like I've got a little bit of thinking and work left to do.

Thanks,
                              Rick
                              Originally posted by DucatiDave View Post
                              I am doing a solo seat '82 GS750E. I ended up taking 5" out by cutting about 6" behind the shock mounts then welding the rear subframe on top of the existing frame with 5" overlap. This gives clearance for the rear/inner fender. and license plate. I made a seat pan out of wood and foam, covered with vinyl. I also raised the back of the tank 1" and moved the side cover mounts up so that when done, all logos/stripes will align (as standard, everything slopes down towards the middle of the bike).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57560[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X