Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1000ET in the UK.

I bought this 1981 GS1000ET in 2006.

She standard including the rear air ride suspension, rear rack, crash bars. She is missing her side panel and tank decals but I do have new replacements, just got to find a painter who can put them on plus laquer the tank to cover them up.

I rode her till 2010 when the head gasket started spewing oil from the cam chain tunnel and also from the near side pinch bolt area. She wasn't smoking and pulled like a train so it was just a small job of pulling the head and a new gasket.

Well things got in the way. I have a GSF1200, so I had a ride, kids growing up, etc etc the GS got pushed to the back of the garage.

A few more modern bikes have joined the stable, namely two RF900RS2's that needed more urgent work and that has now been done so I want to get the GS1000 running and back on the UK roads.

'Hampshire Hog' tried to help when he picked up my GS1000S a few years back but the fork bottoms Allen bolts were rounded. It's not an excuse but a reason why its been put off and not been done. Add in the fear of the barrels moving so I'd have to put a new base gasket on her. Add then a new set of rings at £125 a piston, the whole job started to add up. For something that was fun to ride on dry UK days it was way too expensive. So of course she's just sat and been left.

Life's moved on. I have time and spare money and no projects that are urgent so its the GS's time.

Last time I changed a head gasket on one of these was in 1983 so it's been a while. Saying that I did do my GS(X)1100ESD full engine rebuild back in 2006.....

Concerned that the exhaust bolts won't come out or worse still they will shear off. I'm concerned that the small outer bolts will be solid in the aluminium and also the cam chain tunnel bolt will be seized solid. I mean it's not been apart since 1981...... Lots of lubrication and a heat gun may help plus taking my time.

I'm a 'Standard' kind of guy so don't expect any frills or big bore kits. It will come apart stock and go back together as close to stock as I can get it.

Suzuki Boy.

First job will be the forks and seals so I can get brakes back on the front to control her.

One of my other bikes were in for an MOT so picked up fork oil at the shop. Well, you cant really call it a shop but they do work on bikes and do MOT's so it's a bonus. I also managed to get at one of the forks with the space left in the garage. Swiveled the leg around and using a set of adjustables got the aluminium cap loose. Its a start but I ran out of time and light so it will have to wait for another day.

Comment

Nice bike, but I am wondering whether you have an '81 or an ET, you can't have both.

T was the designator for the '80 model year, X was for '81.

Take a look at the VIN plate on the steering neck to see if there is a production date.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think I'll follow along if you don't mind? I'll assume you know the other fellows in Kent. Nice pair of bikes and that 1100es is my favorite scheme of all! Cheers!
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Right, to answer the questions is an ET with the tail section colour scheme but it was first registered in 1981 hence why it's I say its a 1981 ET. The UK register bikes with its own unique number and that used to be if I remember rightly 1st August each year. So bikes could be registered as a 1979-1980 'V' number or a 1980-1981 'W' registration number. So an ET could be with a 'V' or a 'W' plate depending on when it was sold. Mine is was sold in 1981 on a 'W' plate. Hope that makes sense to people.

Right, spare day today so out with the spanners.

I'm going to work in the garage to start with taking the forks off and outside to work on in the lights.

The issue has been getting the top caps off as the bottom 'allen' bolt has been rounded.

Loosed the top yoke (triple trees for you guys) and lower pinch bolts so twisted the caps around to get a spanner on them.

For being together for 38/39 years it came apart very easily without damaging the top cap which is an obsolete part from Suzuki. (I managed to find 3 NOS Parts on ebay if anybody needs one.)

Loosen the caps enough so I can get the guts out and attack the rounded headed bolt from inside.

Lifted the bike up on some home made stand....

...as I'm working on a more modern bike at the same time....

It's a 2nd cousin (GSF1200K2) that needs new tyres for the summer season.

As you can see, fork oil has got everywhere.

New brake pads are going to have to be a must on this. Saying that, new new most things are going to be needed after 9 years lurking in the back of the garage.

Comment

Forks are out and on the bench (well lets say old kitchen table. )

With the upper air cap loosened off it was a quick unscrew and no damage occurred. Phew!!! Out came the long spacer, spacer/washer and the spring. Drained what oil I could out and then using the 'home made' (thanks Bro) tool all a 8mm Torx bit the Allen bolt came away. It was pretty tight whoever put it in last. Out came the lowers and they were cleaned up. So here's the forks in bits.

I'm sure there is one piece missing and that is the spacer that joins the outer leg to the inner tube. Looking at the leg its stuck in the top of the leg.

I have no idea at the moment on how that is going to come out looking at the wear marks on it. Or for that matter how the new one will go back in. Any suggestions guy's?

The oil that came out has seen better days, don't you think?

Comment

So I carried on. Well the sun is shining and I have time.....

Into the parts store, we all have these don't we? Came out with 4 pairs of NOS fork legs. Pull the first set out the box and match them up......

Somethings wrong. Completely different. 51110-49560 part number.

Pull the second set apart and....

think we have a winner! Yep. these are the same but no part number.

Check all my other spare's of what will be needed, seals, retainers, caps new bolts and whats missing, yep you guessed it. Two copper washers!!!!

So I will put it all back in the garage for another day and hopefully the front end will slide back together all OK.

Comment

Is that a Mirror I see in there?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Is that a Mirror I see in there?
                  Two actually. Ones a 'collender' the other need a few bilge runners added and some sealing plus a good coat of paint. Another set of project I need to get around too.

Comment

All the bits away in the garage for another day but before putting all the bikes to bed I thought I'd give the exhaust bolts a try and see if they are going to be an issue. As it's got a MOTAD exhaust on hit somebody had changed the Suzuki bolts to Allen bolts instead. 6mm Allen key on the 3/8th drive socket and.........

I'm totally amazed. All 8 came loose and started to come out. Thats 8 bolts I was fearing not moving after 9 years being left cold. I have checked the spares, rocker gasket, cam chain tunnel rubber gasket, 5 half moons for the cam shafts ends and 1 exhaust gasket. Looks like I need a head gasket and 3 exhaust gaskets, a Suzuki oil filter (i have plenty of rubber seals and sump washers) and that could be the engine sorted.

I did the intake boots 10 years ago so they will be fresher than most.

I will have to approach my friend and see if he will ultrasonically clean the carbs while the engines apart and I will have to see how bad the inside of the tank is having left it with about 1/2 a tank of fuel. I do hope it's not too rusty.

Comment

When I last did a head gasket they had all the seals for the cam chain and outer bolts built into the gasket. I see now that the cam chain one comes on its own. Have Suzuki upgraded the gasket or are there better head gaskets to stop the leaking cam chain tunnel and out bolts nowadays?

Comment

So the morning turned out fun today. Waited for the post and nothing came. Called the UK's largest Suzuki parts dealer (who's 20 miles away) and they had the bits on the shelf in my Account bucket waiting for me to collect. Put the phone down and the wife TXT. 'Can I drop her glasses over as she had left them at home.' The joys of getting old.

So a quick plan and pack up the bike and off I set.

First stop was Roadstar cycles. A little known local bike shop that deals with old 'British bikes' and a few other makes along the way. They also do UK MOT's..... I showed them my fork tubes and the crushed copper washers. I'd spent 40 minutes with a pick and screwdriver trying to lift the washers last night but had no luck. The guy had a look at the two tubes, asked which was the worst, could the washer be damaged and once satisfied he set off to his bench sticking the leg in a vice on it.
                        A small ball peenee hammer and a chisel he tapped the copper washer muttering how somebody have really over tightened it and how thick the washer was. He quickly moved around the shop to find a trusty small but bent screw driver. Must have been a favourite. Put the screwdriver in the slot, a little push and out came the crushed washer.

'That was fun' he mutter handing me the leg and damaged washer. After no charge for the one he got out and saying do the same on the other I was on my way. Dropped the wife's glasses off as they were about a mile apart and then up the road to the Suzuki Dealers.

Homeward bound with new copper washers, a head gasket and a nice shoulder bag to carry the gasket in.

I quickly set to work. I dragged my dads old tool box out with small hammer and chisels then searched for a fine screwdriver like I'd seen the guy do. Other fork leg on the bench and I'm ready to go for it. Now was it the ride of 40 miles or the threat of damage but the 2nd copper washer just flicked out. Now why didnt it do that last night? It too longer to get the tools out and write this post than get the washer out!

So I carried on. Tubes out, new parts out and special tool out.

Stand tool upright into fork tube and inner part. Inner sticks out and put cap on. Then insert outer leg over this, till home. Add new copper washer and bolt into the hole in the leg and tighten down with a 8mm allen key and torque to 19ft lbs. (Yep I'm old fashioned.)

Turn it upright slide the new seal down the tube, put the old one onto and tap it home. Take old seal off put new retaining ring on place and then fit new cover.

I'i stop there for now. I've ordered new drain washers from ebay (suzuki genuine part) but it won't be here till after Easter. Plus I'm working and then away sailing till Easter. (Now you know why projects take a little while to get around to doing.)

All it needs is 259ml or 10W fork oil, 11 psi of non compressed air and fitting back to the bike. Easy hey?

Done a part tally also for the engine work.
                        Head gasket sorted.
                        Cam chain tunnel O ring sorted.
                        Rocker box gasket sorted.
                        4 exhaust gaskets sorted

I've got 4 new cylinder head copper washers from another project (not NOS parts) but I will probably use the old ones if they aren't too badly crushed or gone. (You can re anneal copper washers if they aren't damaged.)

Comment

While at work I've been think about the next steps with the engine work to do. Yes, I've now got the major parts unless I do the valves out for new valve guide seals and to regrind the valves in. That will involve re-shimming and I dont have any here to do something like that or the tool to depress the bucket..... I'I chew on that one for a bit.

Comment

You're probably the best judge as to whether the valves need regrinding - you've owned the bike for a long time. If you need to take the head off, you might as well replace the valve seals. And if you do that, why not reface the valves. I find the Viton valve seals to be good replacements. As for shims/clearances, do them as a matter of course unless you know when when they were last done, and have a record of the clearances - that's just standard maintenance.
                            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                              As for shims/clearances, do them as a matter of course unless you know when when they were last done, and have a record of the clearances - that's just standard maintenance.
                              I never checked them from when I bought the bike to now. She ran well so I left her alone till the head went. Very true to being regular maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X