80 gs550e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Track06 View Post
    Wooohooo look what just came in! Wasn't expecting these till Monday!
    So ready to get these in wire her up and start tuning!
    Get your digital caliper and check the actual sizes against the marked ones. I bought a handful of new ones, one of which was marked 2.45 and was actually 2.30 or thereabouts. By doing a minor bit of swapping, it turned out not to be a problem, but it might have been.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Get your digital caliper and check the actual sizes against the marked ones. I bought a handful of new ones, one of which was marked 2.45 and was actually 2.30 or thereabouts. By doing a minor bit of swapping, it turned out not to be a problem, but it might have been.
      Thanks! I mic'd them all and they were all correct, and now my valves are all in there correct tolerances. Now on to wiring!

Comment

This has definitely been the hardest part... And for some reason i think I'm about to make it even harder and just rewire everything to make it much cleaner and easier to hide. Changed the cog, put on a new chain attached the throttle to the the carbs... Then i began to connect the wire harness.... I've changed the tail light, headlight, turn signals and speedo, so a lot of wiring is different than stock.... Ugh, well almost there anyway! I've been working on this since i got home from work, Its bed time.

Comment

Have not updated in a while, I have since got the bike rewired all the electrical seems to be working pretty well everything seems to be wired correctly however I cannot get the bike to start. I am getting spark from the coils but it just does not seem to want to turn over. It's midnight and I've been working on his bike since about 6 p.m. and I worked on it from 9 a.m. till about 3 a.m. yesterday. I guess I will go over the wires again and see if I missed anything but honestly I think it's all wired up correctly. The gas might be bad and that is what I am hoping for, the gas was in a can for about 2 weeks and was outside on my back porch covered but still could have gotten some kind of condensation inside. Though I did try to start the bike using carb cleaner and it wouldn't even start then either. :/
          Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2019, 12:20 AM.

Comment

What do you mean you tried to start the bike with carb cleaner?

Have you pulled the carbs apart and gone through the full rebuild procedure that consists of dipping each one in a can of Berryman’s for 24 hours and then replacing the o-rings? Did you bench sync them when you put them back together? How many turns out are your mixture screws?

What is the battery voltage when the ignition is off, on, and while cranking?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              What do you mean you tried to start the bike with carb cleaner?

Have you pulled the carbs apart and gone through the full rebuild procedure that consists of dipping each one in a can of Berryman’s for 24 hours and then replacing the o-rings? Did you bench sync them when you put them back together? How many turns out are your mixture screws?

What is the battery voltage when the ignition is off, on, and while cranking?
              Ok so the carbs were done professionally when i got the bike, they are clean crisp and shiny! I have a dynojet stage 3 kit installed, the clip is at the 3rd notch, mixture screws are out 3 turns. Main just is dj 155, and the air correcting is in place. Also running brand new k&n pods, exhaust chopped with shortys. New intake boots, fresh rebuild on the motor. Voltage on the battery is 12.8v cold 12.3v under load, 11.8v trying to start. I did completely rewire the bike, and have gone over and over the wiring diagram. I did notice that the w/r wire coming from the handle bar switch, looks like it connects to the W/B wire coming out of the reg/rec I the wiring diagram and i did not connect those two on the bike.
              Thank you so much for trying to help! I've been very excited about this project and so far has gone very smooth.

Comment

I think i might be off one tooth on my timing.... I'm not sure what do you think?

Comment

As the chain wears and elongates the 1 mark will lift higher, above the gasket surface. I suspect your timing is correct.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok I've gone through all the wiring again, pulled the carbs checked the bowls everything seems to be good, I'm not sure what is wrong. Plugs are new and getting spark, carbs are clean with new jets, intake boots are new, i have fresh gas with a brand new petcock.compression was good before i rebuiltthe top end. There was one thing funky about the intake and exhaust 4 tappets and shims s, they seem to get stuck low, but if i used the shim tool and it slipped they would pop and would both be in tolerance... That didn't seem right to me, could that be the issue?

Comment

You need to approach this methodically - keep a Journal on what's what.

Not to question your work or knowledge; but let's make sure the basics are covered. For combustion; one needs three things: Air, Spark and Fuel (and the correct mixture, but there's some leeway, which is exploited in the next step).

There's an old trick to get an engine firing: Drop a teaspoon of gasoline down the spark plug hole(s). Screw the spark plug back in, and try to start her. This should get you a few firings.
                      If she doesn't fire, you have narrowed down the probable causes to compression or spark timing. If she does fire, then the issue must be further 'upstream', i.e. carbs.

Go from there, and tick off the respective bullet points in your journal.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Cleaned professionally means nothing really and just because they look shiny on the outside does not mean all of the inside passages are clear. I would clean the carbs yourself using the tutorial that Nessism wrote which you can get either in the signature block of his post above mine or on Basscliff's site - https://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff

Unfortunately, all of the other changes done to the bike are out of my league as I haven't changed the jetting or switched to pods in either of the 550s in my garage. Do you have the ability to put anything back to stock to start with a good baseline?
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                          You need to approach this methodically - keep a Journal on what's what.

Not to question your work or knowledge; but let's make sure the basics are covered. For combustion; one needs three things: Air, Spark and Fuel (and the correct mixture, but there's some leeway, which is exploited in the next step).

There's an old trick to get an engine firing: Drop a teaspoon of gasoline down the spark plug hole(s). Screw the spark plug back in, and try to start her. This should get you a few firings.
                          If she doesn't fire, you have narrowed down the probable causes to compression or spark timing. If she does fire, then the issue must be further 'upstream', i.e. carbs.

Go from there, and tick off the respective bullet points in your journal.
                          Thank you!!! That did the trick!!! Finally got her to kick over and as long as i held the throttle she kept going! At first she was fighting it popping and back during, but then she kicked over. I felt the headers 1 and two were hot 3 and 4 cold, so I'm going after work I'm heading to that coil!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Track06 View Post
                            .... I felt the headers 1 and two were hot 3 and 4 cold, so I'm going after work I'm heading to that coil!!!!
                            one coil fires cylinders 1 & 4. the other coil fires 2 & 3. So which coil are you heading to?
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

okay so I'm an idiot if it was a coil then 2 and 3 would be cold, or 1 + 4... before I got her to start up I poured about a teaspoon of gas in cylinder 1 and 2 and I wasn't even thinking about that so it must be fuel-related so off come the carbs again!!!��

Comment

Sorry still have a bit of fuzzy head hadn't had my coffee yet yeah I'm an idiot I realized that on my way to work and just saw that you posted showing my idiocy

Comment

Working...
                                X