No announcement yet.

1979 GS550E restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks zuluwiz. I am going to need all the advice I can get I know I am WAAAAAAAY out of my depth here. But you can learn anything with a bit of patience and research.
    The temptation to change it for an electrical system is minimal, I really want to keep it all original as I can.

Comment

I have heard Dynatec alot, I dont know what I need, the UK website has the GS bikes that only go back to 1983!!! I need to get back to the 80's surely

Comment

Back to the tank

Going back to the tank... Holes have been silver brazed. pretty well IF I say so myself. Probably beginners luck, but it worked really well. I am chuffed with the results.
        Then 8oz of POR15 poured in and shaked for 20 minutes!!! timed it on the phone.

Its currently dripping out. got 97 hours to wait for it all to drip out, so I thought I would tackle the next item in the engine starting system, Carbs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
          Might be worth upgrading to electronic ignition. Budget around £120 and forget about points and condensers.
          Seriously, this is a huge upgrade over fiddling with points trying to get the timing right. Here is an excellent write up on how to do it: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...c_ignition.pdf
          1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
          1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
          Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

What model is this

An internet research tells me that this bike was built in 2001 in Africa!!! the V5 say 1993 and its an ET!!! I dont think it is. Please someone tell me what model it is!!! The reason I need to know, is because the Haynes manual has a few different wiring diagrams in it and I need to know which one to follow

Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM. Reason: better clarification

Comment

Leading axle fork, small gas tank, high bars indicate a L model
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Check the frame number on the headstock? '80 LT's began with 705***, ET's began with 125***
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Thanks, So going on that, here is the start of my number:
                  GS550E-700***

Comment

Working...
                  X