gs650e chopper build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650e chopper build

Just picked up a 1981 gs650e that was in pretty bad shape. Wiring harness is butchered, and carbs were "rebuilt" by the owner. Just generally in poor condition overall. I finished a 550e cafe build last fall, and decided it was time for a new project. I've always had a soft spot for the old long choppers of the sixties and early seventies. (easyrider type bikes) So the plan is to eliminate the majority of stock parts down to frame, engine and basic wiring needs. Using the stock frame as a starting point and moving forward from there. Here it is with the body panels off.
    Attached Files

cool blue.jpgHere is something along the lines of what I am thinking.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Too bad it was a bit butchered, that is a rather rare bike that many here would take extra steps to resurrect.

We will be happy to help you with technical stuff related to the 650, but there are not very many here that are fans of your type of project.

Good luck with the project, keep us posted on the progress.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I pray you get diarrhea…
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I wish you wouldn't tear that one up
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I say Go For It!! Lets see what you come up with. 👍 Just don't do a half azz job of it... A lot of projects started, very few finished...
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Wow!!! Steve I will have to agree with you about the outlook on chopping up the 650!!! Oh and just for the record Bill, the gods were indeed listening to your prayers. I would be happy to rehome this bike if someone has something else I can chop. Or if they want to buy it for what I gave. It just came to me cheap and having just been through a 550e I had learned alot about these bikes. I have 200.00 in it and have never heard it run. It turns over and seems to have good compression. If anyone wants to trade something else in like condition or wants to buy it. I am open to that. It will be a couple weeks before I start on the frame so let me know.

Comment

If you were in my area I'd call your bluff and take it off your hands for $200. Wrong coast though. Anyway, knock yourself out with your project. I don't have a problem with someone chopping/bobbing a bike just as long as they don't go all brain dead and remove the mufflers and make a loud and obnoxious bike. We've already got too many Harley's like that on the road without yet another.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What does the body work look like? Does it have a clear title?

I may be willing to trade a 79 750L that hardly no one here will object to being chopped. Problem with it is that the guy that gave it to my son, put his name on the title, so we will have to process that at the DMV, before anything can be done. I had planned on doing something like what you want to do with it, but it will be years before I get around to it. Bonus, the early 750 engine has the kicker, that would be a bonus look to have on a 60-70's chopper.
                  :cool:GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I agree. I like the idea of a kicker for the chopper style. Not to mention its not a bad idea to have a back up for a dead battery. I will try to get some pics of it so you can see what you would be getting into. When I say it is rough, im not kidding. It shows 27000 on the odometer and I believe everyone of them!!! If your interested, Im up for it. As far as the title goes, thats fine. we can figure that out no problem. I will get some pics. Titles clear, and the tank looks pretty good. Looks to be pretty clean on the inside. It has a kustom krylon flat black paint job. ( I believe flat black spray cans should be banned for the good of the world!!!)I will just get pics. Easier that way.

Comment

The L frame is mo-betta suited to chopper styling. The L must stand for low seat frame.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        The L frame is mo-betta suited to chopper styling. The L must stand for low seat frame.
                        Or ReLaxed
                        or exLaxed
                        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

20190819_142520_resized.jpgHere are some pics It was only letting me do 1 pic per post so I put the rest in an album.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

It will be trading a turd for a turd, so no worries. I have a couple of pics I took, but there was a bunch of junk around it No dents in the tank, but it will need to be derusted inside. I have another 750 tank that is nicer outside, but the same inside. We got originally just to use the title for a blank replacement 750E frame I have, but whenever I get to that project I'll just do a builders title. I would like to keep the exhaust that's on it, bit I think I have some stock 4-2 that will fit it. Let me know if your interested and we'll figure it out.

:cool:GSRick
                            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Im game. If you can shoot a couple pics we can figure out from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X